What Am I Missing? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Am I Missing?

Many Fin fans and most sportswriters are totally writing off Miami for the upcoming season with many predicting us to have possibly the worst team in the league.

My questions is why? Last season this team was 7-9 and without some key injuries they could have easily slipped into the playoffs again. And comparing last year's team and the upcoming team I can't see where we are so much weaker than last season. In fact, I think they're stronger. Of course there's always a ton of ifs and many questions that have to be answered but here's how I compare last year's team with this year's.

COACHING: I think most would agree that we're in much better hands this season without Gase and Burke running the show. I'm much more confident in the new staff. ADVANTAGE: '19 Team

WRs: Everyone is back minus DA and we added Williams who may end up being the best of all of them: ADVANTAGE: '19

QB: So many questions but no matter if Fitz or Rosen starts I can't imagine a big drop-off from last season if any. Potentially much better. PUSH

OL: Last year they sucked and they probably will this season too. Who knows? PUSH

TE: Gesicki and Smythe have a year's experience and Allen has been added for leadership. ADVANTAGE: '19

RB: Gore was solid but with Drake and an emerging Ballage getting the carries I definitely think there's more big play potential this season. ADVANTAGE: '19

DL: Sorry, I don't think the losses there a big deal. I miss Wake but he was a big liability against the run and past his prime. The young DTs should really come into their own this season and the addition of Wilkins will only boost them. And if the lights come on for Harris they could really surprise. I'm leaning towards '19 but will say: PUSH

LBs: Baker and McMillan will have a year's experience behind them and the addition of Eguavoen could be huge as well. ADVANTAGE: '19

DBs: Basically intact. X may be the best cover corner in the league and Fitz should make a jump in his second year. Rowe may be an improvement over last year's #2 corner. ADVANTAGE: '19

Sorry, but I don't see the big drop-off in talent from last year's team. In fact, I think we're better in pretty much every area. Where do you agree or disagree with my assessments?
I predicted we could go 11-5 in another thread. I agree w this. If we get above average QB play we have a real shot.

What Tannehill has done better is win games. And his body of work is way better than Fitzpatrick, who has had 15 years to figure out how to be a starter.

Assuming two tight ends that have shown virtually nothing last year and all of camp is a fatal flaw. Does not mean they have improved. It’s a push until I see anything resembling a flash.

Gore is not in his prime but he was our leading rusher by a mile, and had the most YPC. You can’t write off that production.

Again, all of the same linebackers, and we’re depending on an UDFA? I like 49 as well but I think you need to pump the brakes there.

And I agree Flores could be a great one, but this isn’t “his team” yet. I’m anxious to see how this team looks after we get our large haul of draft picks next year and spend some dough fixing all of the holes on this team. Until then I’ll agree to disagree. The only X Factor that can elevate this team drastically is Rosen. I hope he balls out regardless of the talent level on this team.
Everyone knows I was a Tanny supporter - mainly because I watched the Denver-Seattle SB w him and got a good sense of what a great guy he is. But to see he did anything of merit as a QB is incorrect. His career record - over a long period of time - was sub .500 and his December record was awful. Brutal truth is he was no better than Matt Moore - who statistically led the offense to a higher PPG than RT17 when he was in command of the O over the years and he also didn’t wilt in December. Point is if Matt Moore is no better than a career backup so is RT. Fitz is barley better than a backup but he is better. Tannehill isn’t even on the top 10 list of QBs in fins history if you count guys who weren’t here long but had success elsewhere (Trent Green, Ron Jaworski, Bernie Kosar, etc). He is a backup talent who got to start for 7 years and was unable to play above average for more than a couple games at a time - that’s what separates a starter from a backup. I don’t like Fitz but he’s marginally better than RT.

Adam gase had some of the best luckwhen it came to winning those one score games. Missed kicks, once in million times plays and short throws the man lived on the thread of defeat. The media does not admit it but he got putcoached in a majority of the big games he coached in. Look at what happened after the miracle, the Vikings, Jags and Bills. We got smoked by them in must win scenarios. Don't get me started on the Colts fiasco (got hot at the right time my ***). We were not good and he jumped ship like a coward because he knew the team quit on him.
I’ll miss him brooding on the sideline w his stupid play sheet while the defense is playing.

I’ll miss him brooding on the sideline w his stupid play sheet while the defense is playing.
The worst thing about it was that the defense was awful and needed serious help. And on top of that he really drew up the same crap that got them in trouble on the sideline. Like was he filling out his resume the last 6 weeks?

"they will never see my ****** wr screens coming during a third and long hehehehe"

Many Fin fans and most sportswriters are totally writing off Miami for the upcoming season with many predicting us to have possibly the worst team in the league.

My questions is why? Last season this team was 7-9 and without some key injuries they could have easily slipped into the playoffs again. And comparing last year's team and the upcoming team I can't see where we are so much weaker than last season. In fact, I think they're stronger. Of course there's always a ton of ifs and many questions that have to be answered but here's how I compare last year's team with this year's.

COACHING: I think most would agree that we're in much better hands this season without Gase and Burke running the show. I'm much more confident in the new staff. ADVANTAGE: '19 Team

WRs: Everyone is back minus DA and we added Williams who may end up being the best of all of them: ADVANTAGE: '19

QB: So many questions but no matter if Fitz or Rosen starts I can't imagine a big drop-off from last season if any. Potentially much better. PUSH

OL: Last year they sucked and they probably will this season too. Who knows? PUSH

TE: Gesicki and Smythe have a year's experience and Allen has been added for leadership. ADVANTAGE: '19

RB: Gore was solid but with Drake and an emerging Ballage getting the carries I definitely think there's more big play potential this season. ADVANTAGE: '19

DL: Sorry, I don't think the losses there a big deal. I miss Wake but he was a big liability against the run and past his prime. The young DTs should really come into their own this season and the addition of Wilkins will only boost them. And if the lights come on for Harris they could really surprise. I'm leaning towards '19 but will say: PUSH

LBs: Baker and McMillan will have a year's experience behind them and the addition of Eguavoen could be huge as well. ADVANTAGE: '19

DBs: Basically intact. X may be the best cover corner in the league and Fitz should make a jump in his second year. Rowe may be an improvement over last year's #2 corner. ADVANTAGE: '19

Sorry, but I don't see the big drop-off in talent from last year's team. In fact, I think we're better in pretty much every area. Where do you agree or disagree with my assessments?

Take the aqua & orange shades off. That's what you're missing.:lol:

I don't blame you though. We all fall into the same trap sometimes. The truth is this team doesn't have enough talent. Not enough depth, either. The future looks promising though.

You shouldn't tempt me with a title like this!

Seriously.

It's fairly easy. The QB position is still in turmoil with mediocre options behind an awful OL. The offense of the team this year will be as atrocious as it was last year. The defense got some new additions, locked in some key players and is a shining light.

The team is no longer heading on a downward trajectory but don't expect the ship to right itself this year. One more year and the team will have most of the pieces in place for a couple good years or more.

Oh also, the Fins had one of the easiest schedules in football last year and still couldn't make the playoffs.

I totally agree with you. I think everyone is so stuck in the weeds looking at individual positions and QB play but are taking way too lightly the impact of coaching and development upgrades on this team. It remains to be seen but everyone knows how terrible the team was with that wide nine defense and Matt Burke. Gase didn't develop ANYBODY.

Worst team in the league or bottom five? Who is betting on that? I don't see it.

You're not missing anything, many sports writers and so called experts are lazy, and supposedly Miami is either going to lose on purpose to get a chance at a top QB, or just cleaning house to start all over again.

Most of them were never big fans of Tannehill, yet now with him being released, Miami has no QB, they are still as good at receiver, RB...Better at TE...A question mark at O-Line (Can't be much worse, but can they be better?)...Better interior of the D-line, but weaker at the ends...Better LB squad...as good or better secondary.

With now a more defensive minded HC, rather then offensive minded.

This team is nowhere close to as bad as their making them out to be, but like I said, too lazy to do homework.

The worst thing about it was that the defense was awful and needed serious help. And on top of that he really drew up the same crap that got them in trouble on the sideline. Like was he filling out his resume the last 6 weeks?

"they will never see my ****** wr screens coming during a third and long hehehehe"
Could you imagine Shula or Belicjik taking there eyes off the field for even 1 play? Even if winning by 40 points? They would never. Gase was / is such a loser.

I am 100% with you, and the main reasons are:

Coaching: Is not Flores vs Gase, but we have quality coaches all over the place. We have good teachers, experience, winners, motivators and a Head Coach that demands the best and will pull the trigger if needed. That alone, will bring the best from this quality coaching staff. The difference in this area should feel like sky from earth.

Young players developing: Our young players will get better. And players like Wilkins will have more impact as season evolves. Also there Is potential at least to see if any of the high draft picks that were underachiving like Parker, Harris, Gesicki, McMillan and Tankersley can step up their play with coaching or good scheams.

Depth: LB, DBs, WRs, DT and TEs we have more depth. OL and DEs less depth. QB is the key. If Fitz plays average we will have a better QB core.

OPs in for a rude awakening this season.

I’m as optimistic as anyone, but we simply don’t have the talent to compete yet.

Glaring weaknesses in the trenches, and I don’t think any amount of coaching can compensate enough for that.

I won’t even mention the QB position, because without good play in the trenches....

It's that time of year again when the fantasies of preseason linger on before the realities of the regular season sink in.

Back
Top Bottom