What Am I Missing? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Am I Missing?

Take the aqua & orange shades off. That's what you're missing.:lol:

I don't blame you though. We all fall into the same trap sometimes. The truth is this team doesn't have enough talent. Not enough depth, either. The future looks promising though.

I didn't say we have enough talent and I'm not predicting a winning season. I'm just saying I think we're better off this season in pretty much every area compared to last year.

Every season is so different that I do not believe the comparisons in this topic are useful. The evaluators see a team without an established QB, a defense that was bottom of the league last year, and a very poor offensive line. It is not surprising that we ranked last.

If there is a mistake with their logic, then I believe it is understating the cost of the coaching last year. The wide 9 was static, predictable, and fairly easy to attack. The multiple looks should make the preparation of blocking schemes and game planning more difficult for our opponents.

Hopefully, the offense will demonstrate some proficiency with 12 and 21 alignments. That should lead to more difficulties scheming for the offense.

It's that time of year again when the fantasies of preseason linger on before the realities of the regular season sink in.

So, where are we so much worse this season than last? I'm not expecting a winning season, I just don't think we're going to be a 2-3 win team and God-Awful like so many people say. I think we'll clearly be better in most areas. That probably won't amount to a lot of wins but I think all of those people expecting something laughable will be in for a big surprise.

To be honest the defense should on paper be much better and the offense isn't really any worse.

I mean is Rosen/Fitz = Tannehill? I think that answer is yes but if not it isn't worse.

The O-line was a disaster last year so can it really be wrose? I think the answer is no.

The WR's are the same = push (you could make the case they might be better).

The TE group is the same = push.

The RB are the same = push (again you could make the case they are better).

So really the only position on the team you can say is worse is the DE position, we did lose out there in my opinion but I think the backers and secondary actually will be improved and the D-line as well. Time will tell but I think the team ends up being competitive for sure. I'd say 5 to 7 wins but given the schedule probably less and I think that is why most people are hammering Miami, it isn't the overall team it is the schedule they drew. The first four games are brutal.

Every season is so different that I do not believe the comparisons in this topic are useful. The evaluators see a team without an established QB, a defense that was bottom of the league last year, and a very poor offensive line. It is not surprising that we ranked last.

If there is a mistake with their logic, then I believe it is understating the cost of the coaching last year. The wide 9 was static, predictable, and fairly easy to attack. The multiple looks should make the preparation of blocking schemes and game planning more difficult for our opponents.

Hopefully, the offense will demonstrate some proficiency with 12 and 21 alignments. That should lead to more difficulties scheming for the offense.

Agree with the bolded. Particularly because this team will have a lot of new faces. HC and staff are new. 3 new OLmen (by position) and a new QB. On D, at least one new DE and a CB. And that's not counting the rookies - WR, DT, LB - and new positions (McCain), nor counting the ''package' players. Most of this team is 'don't know yet'

Many Fin fans and most sportswriters are totally writing off Miami for the upcoming season with many predicting us to have possibly the worst team in the league.

My questions is why? Last season this team was 7-9 and without some key injuries they could have easily slipped into the playoffs again. And comparing last year's team and the upcoming team I can't see where we are so much weaker than last season. In fact, I think they're stronger. Of course there's always a ton of ifs and many questions that have to be answered but here's how I compare last year's team with this year's.

COACHING: I think most would agree that we're in much better hands this season without Gase and Burke running the show. I'm much more confident in the new staff. ADVANTAGE: '19 Team

WRs: Everyone is back minus DA and we added Williams who may end up being the best of all of them: ADVANTAGE: '19

QB: So many questions but no matter if Fitz or Rosen starts I can't imagine a big drop-off from last season if any. Potentially much better. PUSH

OL: Last year they sucked and they probably will this season too. Who knows? PUSH

TE: Gesicki and Smythe have a year's experience and Allen has been added for leadership. ADVANTAGE: '19

RB: Gore was solid but with Drake and an emerging Ballage getting the carries I definitely think there's more big play potential this season. ADVANTAGE: '19

DL: Sorry, I don't think the losses there a big deal. I miss Wake but he was a big liability against the run and past his prime. The young DTs should really come into their own this season and the addition of Wilkins will only boost them. And if the lights come on for Harris they could really surprise. I'm leaning towards '19 but will say: PUSH

LBs: Baker and McMillan will have a year's experience behind them and the addition of Eguavoen could be huge as well. ADVANTAGE: '19

DBs: Basically intact. X may be the best cover corner in the league and Fitz should make a jump in his second year. Rowe may be an improvement over last year's #2 corner. ADVANTAGE: '19

Sorry, but I don't see the big drop-off in talent from last year's team. In fact, I think we're better in pretty much every area. Where do you agree or disagree with my assessments?

I will bet you any amount of money you want that we go 6 wins or less.

Where do I disagree? Well, I'm not going to talk about hypothetical, so here we go:

Coaching: Gase had lots of strengths and lots of weaknesses. I think he would be a great OC, and not so much as an head coach. With that said, Flores has been a head coach for zero games. I'll be nice and call this a PUSH.

WR: Everyone is back, but two of those guys coming back are coming back from major injuries. WR position was supposed to be a strength last season and again this season. We don't know anything about Williams yet. Again, being nice about it, I will call it a PUSH.

QB: Definitely a drop off from Tannehill - and I was happy to see them move on. Disadvantage

OL: Last year they sucked and this year they look worse. You lost your starting RT who was solid (if mediocre) and replacing him with a huge question mark. This OL is going to be worse. Disadvantage

TE: Talk about an unexciting group. They were worthless last season and may be marginally less worthless this year. Nothing coming out says otherwise, and Allen has been injured/non factor. We can call this a PUSH.

RB: You went from a steady Gore and "on the up" Drake to an injured Drake who has seemingly lost some reps (and maybe confidence). You essentially went backwards with Drake, and now replaced Gore with Ballage, which we also don't know what he is. This is a disadvantage

DL: I would say our DT play should improve, and the scheming from the DL should be improved (which you didn't mention) but the DE position is absolutely worse. I'll be nice and call this a PUSH.

LB: I'll say the LB position is improved with Baker's emergence - who I thought was severely undervalued for his play last season. Not sure about the other new guy yet, but I'll say we're overall at ADVANTAGE.

DB: Last year's CB unit was not great... we had McCain and Minkah playing out of position... two SS's and just and overall disaster in scheming. I think the big difference is we will be scheming better, which you again don't take into account. I'll be nice and call this ADVANTAGE.

So we're worse in a lot of places, we're just as bad as last season in several places (a push at the TE position is HORRRRRRIBLE etc) and better in a couple spots where we still have holes.

This team is going to suck. Take your damn rose colored frames off. Also remember, there is 31 other teams out there TRYING TO IMPROVE AS WELL. And a lot of them doing a better job at it. This isn't pessimism, this is just reality. I like the idea of where I think we're going to go with this team, I like the idea of a tear down, I like the idea of finally restarting and straightening out the front office and coaching staff... I'm still a Dolphins fan... but posts like yours are hilariously off.

I'll repeat, I'll take any dollar amount bet we're a 6 win team or worse. And if we're better, then that's good news.

I think the team will fight and be well coached but we also lack depth and are very very young in a lot of positions. If we win a lot of games it is a credit to the staff.

But make no mistake we are probably a 4 to 5 win team at best.... and that is okay

Many Fin fans and most sportswriters are totally writing off Miami for the upcoming season with many predicting us to have possibly the worst team in the league.

My questions is why? Last season this team was 7-9 and without some key injuries they could have easily slipped into the playoffs again. And comparing last year's team and the upcoming team I can't see where we are so much weaker than last season. In fact, I think they're stronger. Of course there's always a ton of ifs and many questions that have to be answered but here's how I compare last year's team with this year's.

COACHING: I think most would agree that we're in much better hands this season without Gase and Burke running the show. I'm much more confident in the new staff. ADVANTAGE: '19 Team

WRs: Everyone is back minus DA and we added Williams who may end up being the best of all of them: ADVANTAGE: '19

QB: So many questions but no matter if Fitz or Rosen starts I can't imagine a big drop-off from last season if any. Potentially much better. PUSH

OL: Last year they sucked and they probably will this season too. Who knows? PUSH

TE: Gesicki and Smythe have a year's experience and Allen has been added for leadership. ADVANTAGE: '19

RB: Gore was solid but with Drake and an emerging Ballage getting the carries I definitely think there's more big play potential this season. ADVANTAGE: '19

DL: Sorry, I don't think the losses there a big deal. I miss Wake but he was a big liability against the run and past his prime. The young DTs should really come into their own this season and the addition of Wilkins will only boost them. And if the lights come on for Harris they could really surprise. I'm leaning towards '19 but will say: PUSH

LBs: Baker and McMillan will have a year's experience behind them and the addition of Eguavoen could be huge as well. ADVANTAGE: '19

DBs: Basically intact. X may be the best cover corner in the league and Fitz should make a jump in his second year. Rowe may be an improvement over last year's #2 corner. ADVANTAGE: '19

Sorry, but I don't see the big drop-off in talent from last year's team. In fact, I think we're better in pretty much every area. Where do you agree or disagree with my assessments?

I agree that we are being hosed pretty hard by the sports world and media. And I believe that because of a few things.

1. We lack star power.
We have 2 key players in Tunsil and X Howard. But they aren't not appreciated enough or get enough love that they deserve.... Yet. We have some nice young players on both sides of the ball but we also have some guys who will be starting that wouldn't be starters on most other rosters.

2. Our QB situation is very cloudy - probably the worst in the league. Fitz is a bridge QB and Rosen is a low risk gamble but no one is expecting success from either with this roster for the reasons listed above and below.

3. The O line is awful.

4. Rookie head coach

5. We didn't sign any big name free agents and still left a lot of holes unfilled - not complaining about this but this does play a part why the media isn't excited about this team.

6. Other teams in our division have improved and have ascending players at key positions. So our division got tougher.

7. Look at the schedule. We play several teams this season who made the playoffs last season and other teams that have also improved. Only a handful of games that we have a favorable match up on paper.

8. We are re building - they won't call it what it is but based on the actions that's what we are doing. And that's what was needed.

This team is going to be pretty bad. We have absolutely no pass rush. Our secondary is going to get lit up having to cover for that long. Our oline is the worst in the league from left guard to right tackle. Combine that with shaky qb play and a lack of elite talent at any of the skill positions and we're going to have trouble scoring points.

Oh and if you watch tonight's game you can see what you're missing
I'm not missing anything and I stand by everything evaluation I made, that the team will be as good or better in every area compared to last season. I'm not saying that translates to more wins than last year, I'm not predicting records. I just hope that Rosen is given the chance very soon to be the starter.

Back
Top Bottom