What Am I Missing? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Am I Missing?

Glaring weaknesses in the trenches, and I don’t think any amount of coaching can compensate enough for that.

I won’t even mention the QB position, because without good play in the trenches....

The trenches the past couple of years have looked worse than they are due to the qb play. Now with an intelligent signal caller, they will look a lot better.

People want Tua so they keep ignoring facts and say that we are tanking. They also ignore that Fitzpatrick is leaps and bounds better than Tannehill. The young defense is going to be much better this year and they are actually going to be coached up. Gase is one of the worst coaches in the league so there will definitely be an upgrade there.

lol i wish i could have seen your face when gase was announced as the jets HC. im assuming it was something similar to this.

adam-gase-eyes.jpg Who-framed-roger-rabbit-disneyscreencaps_com-10706.jpg

Really? We shall see.

Any thoughts on the DL?

I like Wilkins. I don’t think losing wake is going to end up being a negative. I thought he was a liability against the run and I also think sacks are generally overrated. Quinn was meh anyways. Tbh I think d lines don’t really contribute to the overall success of the team that much. Get some fat guys up the middle to stuff the run and you are good.

I’m excited for McMillan and baker to have another year of experience and have an actual defensive coach.

What you are missing is talent...we just don't have enough.

O-line is an issue, I am not sure if, at this moment, the QB is any better, we have huge holes at multiple DB positions, While the LB unit has better depth its still not a strength and there is not a single guy on the edge that cannot be handled by an average OT. OL has a 3rd rounder and UDFA starting at guard, a who dat RT and a center who may not make it 16 games. RB is very unknown and none come close to what Gore could do. WR does look better though.

I do think coaching has been better as we have seen improvements in players...Gase and his staff were pretty awful at developing.

Positives...better coaching, WR

Negatives...everything else.

I like Wilkins. I don’t think losing wake is going to end up being a negative. I thought he was a liability against the run and I also think sacks are generally overrated. Quinn was meh anyways. Tbh I think d lines don’t really contribute to the overall success of the team that much. Get some fat guys up the middle to stuff the run and you are good.

I’m excited for McMillan and baker to have another year of experience and have an actual defensive coach.

Well I still think you need to pressure the passer or.. and I place more value on the DL than you are.

They ‘might’ be able to stop the run a little better, especially getting away from the wide 9. Baker seems to be coming into his own, might be best player on the D after X. McMillan has been nothing but disappointment to this point unfortunately. Health status have contributed to that.

Just my thoughts, hope they play better than Im expecting. The OL is even worse condition.

Many Fin fans and most sportswriters are totally writing off Miami for the upcoming season with many predicting us to have possibly the worst team in the league.

My questions is why? Last season this team was 7-9 and without some key injuries they could have easily slipped into the playoffs again. And comparing last year's team and the upcoming team I can't see where we are so much weaker than last season. In fact, I think they're stronger. Of course there's always a ton of ifs and many questions that have to be answered but here's how I compare last year's team with this year's.

COACHING: I think most would agree that we're in much better hands this season without Gase and Burke running the show. I'm much more confident in the new staff. ADVANTAGE: '19 Team

WRs: Everyone is back minus DA and we added Williams who may end up being the best of all of them: ADVANTAGE: '19

QB: So many questions but no matter if Fitz or Rosen starts I can't imagine a big drop-off from last season if any. Potentially much better. PUSH

OL: Last year they sucked and they probably will this season too. Who knows? PUSH

TE: Gesicki and Smythe have a year's experience and Allen has been added for leadership. ADVANTAGE: '19

RB: Gore was solid but with Drake and an emerging Ballage getting the carries I definitely think there's more big play potential this season. ADVANTAGE: '19

DL: Sorry, I don't think the losses there a big deal. I miss Wake but he was a big liability against the run and past his prime. The young DTs should really come into their own this season and the addition of Wilkins will only boost them. And if the lights come on for Harris they could really surprise. I'm leaning towards '19 but will say: PUSH

LBs: Baker and McMillan will have a year's experience behind them and the addition of Eguavoen could be huge as well. ADVANTAGE: '19

DBs: Basically intact. X may be the best cover corner in the league and Fitz should make a jump in his second year. Rowe may be an improvement over last year's #2 corner. ADVANTAGE: '19

Sorry, but I don't see the big drop-off in talent from last year's team. In fact, I think we're better in pretty much every area. Where do you agree or disagree with my assessments?

The big problem, IMO, is some people have deluded themselves into thinking there's ONE RF. Nope, there are two - the 'good' RF and the 'bad' RF. We all know that. Every poster seems aware the 'good' RF will win 4-6 games. whether that's advantageous or not depends on what the poster wants. And, keep in mind, that's 4-6 wins with the 'good' RF playing only a few games because all fans also know the 'bad' RF will show up more often than the 'good.' THAT is the problem - inconsistency, though where most QBs are inconsistent in one game, RF spreads it out over a season.

2nd problem - some seem to think ALL players from last year will improve. They won't. Conversely, some seem to think NO players from last year will improve. They will. Again how people want the season to unfold skews how they see the personnel.

3rd problem - there seems to be a denial mode when it comes to coaching. Good coaching matters. Non-talent related changes matter (e.g., reducing pre-snap penalties, ensuring players know there assignments). Game plans, adjustments, teaching proper techniques, that sort of thing. Is Flo 'that' HC? Fans don't know, but pretending coaching WON'T make the team better by itself is the saddest of delusions.

As for your evaluation of position groups, I have most of them as 'don't know yet.' Is the PS Harris the real guy or was last year the real guy? How will the OGs play? What of all the injures to the WRs? Fans just don't know, umm, other than hope for this year or 'no one will improve over last year.' I continue to maintain the 1st 4-6 games will tell little other than whether the coaching staff is better than Gase et al. I do agree there is little drop off in talent if your standard is the last 4 games of '18. Still, for example, it looks like Grant/Wilson will miss some early games and Amendola is gone. Gore is gone and Ballage has been inconsistent. I'll stick with 'don't know yet.'

We may be worse but I am much more excited to watch this season than any in recent memory. Tannehill being gone is a big reason but I’m also looking forward to seeing if we actually have a decent young core to build around going forward. I am bummed that Fitzpatrick is the likely starter. That’s pointless and seems to be the only knock I have on the coaches so far.

Offensive line is not a push - 2 rookie guards, right tackle who started 3 regular season games at tackle and a center who was out most of last year and is slightly below or just average, JaWuan James was able to blank every speed rusher who came his way, he had problems with bull rushers and always seemed to miss games, Davis is a decent player but he will give play's to speed rushers, that's a big deal, there is no line cohesion these guy's haven't played one regular season snap together expecting them to stand tall from the get go is beyond reasonable. Pass blocking on known passing downs is going to be extremely tough on whoever is playing QB, sack city and turnovers galore come to mind. The 2 guards seem to be of decent quality but it take 2 years to develop a guard unless your lucky enough to find an elite one high in the 1st round.

RB -This offensive line is being built for the inside zone power run game and yet we have no inside zone (Frank Gore) runner on the team, these backs are extremely fast and can hit an open hole and take it to the house, problem is there aren't going to be that many open holes for them to run thru and neither Drake or Ballage has shown the can dig out the tough yards to keep the chains moving. Both are excellent receivers out of the backfield, that could save us from time to time. Who round out the roster here I would of said it's Walton but he faces suspension from the league, both Laird and Farrow have looked better in game than Gaskin but both have run against 2nd and 3rd string, tonight's game could be big for all 3.

WR - have actually gotten better with the addition of Williams, Grant has an additional season under his belt and a nice new contract to live up to, Stills is still Stills hopefully he can get his head back into the game, Parker looking better but still having a foot problem, Wilson coming back from injury is a big ? can he be the quick slot receiver the Dolphins so desperately need and if so for how long, that pass rush means the ball is coming out quick. I really love the receivers on this team but there better suited for a team with a better blocking offensive line.

QB - I suspect Ryan Fitzpatrick can be twice a good as Tannehill on his good day's and twice as bad on bad day's, Rosen still needs work from what Flores and his offensive personal are saying, I personal think he could develop into a good to very good QB behind the right offensive line, some people want to push this to happen now, give him the playing time now and let him work it out and there is something to it, problem here again is the offense line because he's not quite there reading defense's, and if he fails they will be the fans to label him a failure and want to wash there hands of him. I'm 50-50 now leaning towards getting a better offensive line in front of him and giving him more time in the film room and practice field to learn. The 2020 draft will take care of itself one way or another.

TE's - here too we are better than last year, O'leary seems to be a nice find and seems to have gotten even better, Gilsicki should benefit from Fitzpatrick accuracy and pension to throw into tighter coverage. Both blocking TE's Walford and Allen I thought were brought in for a power run game but there doesn't seem to be a power back, how Allen's injury is progressing I think is key for him to make the 53, Smythe seems to be progressing nicely, look to see if they use the TE's as a full back tonight and it may be Cox who is off to the practice squad.

Well that's what I think of the offense so far, my brain is burnt so I'm off to the lounge.
I agree with the poster who said we had a better record than we should of last year, I do like the coaching staff and think Marvin Allen will help 100% with the draft
Thanks for reading, I'll try to do defense later....

Last edited:
Many Fin fans and most sportswriters are totally writing off Miami for the upcoming season with many predicting us to have possibly the worst team in the league.

My questions is why? Last season this team was 7-9 and without some key injuries they could have easily slipped into the playoffs again. And comparing last year's team and the upcoming team I can't see where we are so much weaker than last season. In fact, I think they're stronger. Of course there's always a ton of ifs and many questions that have to be answered but here's how I compare last year's team with this year's.

COACHING: I think most would agree that we're in much better hands this season without Gase and Burke running the show. I'm much more confident in the new staff. ADVANTAGE: '19 Team

WRs: Everyone is back minus DA and we added Williams who may end up being the best of all of them: ADVANTAGE: '19

QB: So many questions but no matter if Fitz or Rosen starts I can't imagine a big drop-off from last season if any. Potentially much better. PUSH

OL: Last year they sucked and they probably will this season too. Who knows? PUSH

TE: Gesicki and Smythe have a year's experience and Allen has been added for leadership. ADVANTAGE: '19

RB: Gore was solid but with Drake and an emerging Ballage getting the carries I definitely think there's more big play potential this season. ADVANTAGE: '19

DL: Sorry, I don't think the losses there a big deal. I miss Wake but he was a big liability against the run and past his prime. The young DTs should really come into their own this season and the addition of Wilkins will only boost them. And if the lights come on for Harris they could really surprise. I'm leaning towards '19 but will say: PUSH

LBs: Baker and McMillan will have a year's experience behind them and the addition of Eguavoen could be huge as well. ADVANTAGE: '19

DBs: Basically intact. X may be the best cover corner in the league and Fitz should make a jump in his second year. Rowe may be an improvement over last year's #2 corner. ADVANTAGE: '19

Sorry, but I don't see the big drop-off in talent from last year's team. In fact, I think we're better in pretty much every area. Where do you agree or disagree with my assessments?
90% of the posters that say the fins are worse than last year are butt hurt Thill fans. Plain and simple. They crowed and crowed about him for 7 years to no avail. I was desperately hoping them would all follow him to Tenn. You are spot on that this team is better than last year. I would take this team over any of the last 7 year with the little lost boy qb.

Really? We shall see.

Any thoughts on the DL?

I think I overrated the dt position when I said it was the most talented position and group on the team.

Only preseason but they haven’t even used these guys for inside of the tackle shoulder ask yet. And I was sure that was coming.

Been basically 43 de play 43 de and 34 olb play 34 olb ask and dt play inside.

Seen more different usage with the off ball lbs thus far.

Maybe they are just saving it.

These practice games don't mean squat, minimum game planing and just seeing what players can and can't do, even tonight's game is only slightly better game planned but teams are not putting on film what there about until the regular season.

We haven't faced a real team and we haven't put are real face on yet

You have to wait for the regular season before you see that.

Miamis blitzed it’s off ball lbs more than other teams that I’ve seen which I think has created a false sense of pressure that may be harder to come by in the regular season.

At least we are blitzing the snap count now with the off ball backers. Haven’t seen us do any of that in years it feels.

Back
Top Bottom