What are the legalities of hiring a coach like Gruden? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What are the legalities of hiring a coach like Gruden?

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
Let's say Gruden is the guy to be the next coach. I know no one knows this but let's play along. What are the legalities of hiring him mid season? Let's say Miami loses at NY and goes 0-5, Ross fires Sparano. Gruden is the man Ross wants but Gruden can't join the team right away because of his contracts with the Bucs and ESPN. Can Ross hire Gruden mid season but Gruden not join the club til the end of the season when his contracts end?

Absolutely zero chances of Gruden or any other coach who isn't already on the staff coming in mid-season. None.

Well, that's why it never happens. If Sparano gets fired Week 5 then we will have an interim coach the rest of the way.

One factor that is different with Gruden is he is not on a staff so technically he could join the team mid season if he wasn't under contract with the Bucs and ESPN. My question is can he be hired mid season but not officially join the franchise til after the season ends once his contracts are over?

Let's say Gruden is the guy to be the next coach. I know no one knows this but let's play along. What are the legalities of hiring him mid season? Let's say Miami loses at NY and goes 0-5, Ross fires Sparano. Gruden is the man Ross wants but Gruden can't join the team right away because of his contracts with the Bucs and ESPN. Can Ross hire Gruden mid season but Gruden not join the club til the end of the season when his contracts end?
I don't think there are any legalities that would prevent him from taking over mid season. The Buccaneers fired him, so it isn't like he is not allowed to coach. However, if he takes over, it voids the $6 million that the Bucs are paying him. The only legal problems would probably be with ESPN, I am sure they would go after him.

With that said, there is 0% chance Gruden leaves his job at ESPN to take over the Dolphins mid season. The Dolphins will either keep Sparano all year or go with an interim coach the rest of the way. The last MNF game is on December 26th, so it is likely that Sparano will be out before that date so Ross can start wooing Gruden or any other coach he wants around this time. It is possible that Gruden could sign on as the 2012 coach before the season is officially over. Sort of like Saban signed on during the 2004 season and Parcells signed on during the 2007 season. However, no way his work starts before the final game is played.

No coach would do this. They will let this staff get them a nice draft pick so they can roll in and build their team. He wouldnt want to hurt his record with a team that is already out of the playoffs. Nothing to gain by coming here right now.

Why do you want Gruden? He failed in Tampa... the only reason he won a superbowl in Tampa was because he was riding Dungies left overs.

Absolutely zero chances of Gruden or any other coach who isn't already on the staff coming in mid-season. None.
this.. No way we will or can hire Gruden midseason.. As someone else mentioned, we would have to interview a minority candidate prior to hiring anyone.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

blah blah blah.. Hes far better than SParano and honestly I dont really care who we hire so long as we draft Luck or another franchise QB
Why do you want Gruden? He failed in Tampa... the only reason he won a superbowl in Tampa was because he was riding Dungies left overs.

Gruden would get a better offer towards the end of the season when teams are competing for coaches.

Money talks and Ross has alot of it.

I doubt there would be issues with ESPN, generally they have outs in the contracts. I would assume an NFL HC would have one in his TV contract as a standard. There might be some buyouts but hat still could happen.

Would Chucky take over a 0-4 team is the better question to me. I say if Henne is OK to play he would so he can evaluate. If no Henne than maybe not. The argument that he wouldn't want a team with a crappy record on his resume might be true but then again might be just the opposite, he really will get no blame for the remaining season but if he feels he can squeeze 6 or so wins out of the remaining schedule he will look like a genius.

But it all has to start with Tony being let go and regardless of the Chucky situation I would love to see Tony out.

Failed in Tampa!? Are you kidding me? He won the SB in Tampa! Not Dungy. Additionally, if you are going to give Dungy the credit for the Bucs team that won the SB then you have to give credit to Gruden for the Raiders being in that same SB.

The season Gruden was fired the Bucs were at one point 9-3 with the BEST record in the NFC. Kiffin announced he was leaving to go coach in Tennessee with his son Lane. They lost the rest of their games and Gruden was fired because of the collapse. I put that on Monte Kiffin more than anything. Be a professional and keep that amongst the management so they can plan accordingly. There was no reason for the rank and file (players) to be aware of his intentions.

Back
Top Bottom