What are your biggest concerns with current roster? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What are your biggest concerns with current roster?

Swollcolb

Active Roster
Reaction score
Now that we have a good idea of what our 2020 roster will look like what are your biggest concerns?

For me number 1 is LT. Yes we drafted Austin Jackson and I have high hopes for him but he’s a 20 year old rookie who most scouts viewed as a high end developmental tackle with all the tools. He has some College tape where he got beat pretty badly by Epenesa and Julian Okwara. And behind him we have Julien Davenport not the best mentor another long young toolsy tackle who hasn’t been good at all.

Number 2 is safety. Can Bobby McCain be a good or capable FS? I think Eric Rowe is Solid. Depth behind those guys Adrian Colbert who was ok last year. Brandon Jones the rookie from Texas hopefully he’s good. Just a lot of question marks And not a very deep group.

Last area of Concern is Te. Mike Gesicki could be awesome if he continues to develop. But behind him we don’t have much. Durham Smythe has been mediocre at everything. Michael Roberts has potential but coming off an injury. One injury to Gesicki and our TE group could be worst in the league.

QB if we’re talking 2020. There only so many games Fitzpatrick can win you

The biggest concern I have is if this team will have had enough time to come together once the season starts. If there's no OTAs or TC and then all of a sudden the season starts on time, we're screwed. We have way too many new pieces that need time to gel. We can't afford to start out slow and wait for things to kick in.

Last edited:
Now that we have a good idea of what our 2020 roster will look like what are your biggest concerns?

For me number 1 is LT. Yes we drafted Austin Jackson and I have high hopes for him but he’s a 20 year old rookie who most scouts viewed as a high end developmental tackle with all the tools. He has some College tape where he got beat pretty badly by Epenesa and Julian Okwara. And behind him we have Julien Davenport not the best mentor another long young toolsy tackle who hasn’t been good at all.

Number 2 is safety. Can Bobby McCain be a good or capable FS? I think Eric Rowe is Solid. Depth behind those guys Adrian Colbert who was ok last year. Brandon Jones the rookie from Texas hopefully he’s good. Just a lot of question marks And not a very deep group.

Last area of Concern is Te. Mike Gesicki could be awesome if he continues to develop. But behind him we don’t have much. Durham Smythe has been mediocre at everything. Michael Roberts has potential but coming off an injury. One injury to Gesicki and our TE group could be worst in the league.
No Bobby McCain can not play FS, he is terrible at Safety. He needs to go back to Nickel. I agree with the Left Tackle concern. I think we need to draft a TE pretty early in 2021 draft, Mike Gesecki is great in all but he in not a true TE. I don’t really ever remember Smyth even catching a ball last season.

Aside from the Covid 19 affects on the overall landscape of the country and to sports in particular; my biggest concern with the Dolphins is the entire offense. Most notably the new coaching staff. While I like Chan Gailey, but he's now 70 yrs old. The assistants on the offense, don't exactly bring much confidence with them either. There Is real potential for setbacks. Fitzpatrick is hot and cold player and has demonstrated he can go from one extreme to the other, from season to season.

Then there is the Offensive Line. I don't trust who they've brought in to play. They demonstrated last season with the Deiter selection, they don't particularly have a good eye for talent. Flowers while he looked improved his final 8 games in Washington, he doesn't give me goose bumps about playing LG for Miami. While Jackson, Hunt and Kindley all seem talented, they also seem to need lots of development. And if last seasons OL choices, have shown us anything, the OL could potentially be a complete disaster once again.

I'm not too concerned about the WR or RB position, because both look much stronger, compared to last season. Especially if the WR are finally healthy in Grant and Wilson.

My first and #1 concern is the OL. I feel like it is a bit shaky. My second is safety Rowe seems solid but I don’t know about the FS position. I don’t know if B Jones will be starting caliber next year. If not him then maybe Kavon Frazier.

Agreed. Left Tackle is my number one concern.

Honorable mention is Tua's health and what our plan is regarding playing time this season for him (if any).

The OLine in general concerns me.

Safety concerns me (I don't see two above average starters out of Eric Rowe, Bobby McCain, Steven Parker, Adrian Colbert, Brandon Jones, Clayton Fejedelem, Nate Brooks, Kavon Frazier).

Pass rush concerns me.

O line, O line and O line. Some of these rookies need to play like vets somehow or it’s gonna be ugly again.

Pass rush...

I think it will be greatly improved over last year, but we had the worst pass rush in the NFL last year.

Yes, I realize we signed/drafted 5 new players that will bring some heat, but none of them LOOK like a star pass rusher, and I think you need one almost as badly as you need a star QB.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope that the 'everyone contributes' theory works for us, but I sure would be happy with a double digit sack guy on our roster.

Maybe next year.

The o-line just gives me anxiety after the ten years of trash we have seen.

I am concerned about Chan Gailey because his assistants are not inspiring candidates.

Then the QB situation with Fitz/Tua. If we have a situation where Tua just lights it up and looks miles better than Fitzpatrick, I want to see Tua take reigns ASAP. Fitzpatrick may be the veteran but his status should not be determined because Gailey and him go way back. It never did anything for them before and it will not here. You don't want a Tom Savage/Deshaun Watson or Nathan Peterman/Josh Allen. The better player has to play for obvious reasons. Of course let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Too many young players on the oline. Don’t think we’re done yet with the Warford talk

Lack of dynamic and top tier players at all skill positions on O.

Parker had one good season, but im not buying in yet after so many poor years before it. I need to see more consistency

Last edited:
Since there are a lot of young players on the roster with limited or no NFL experience, I am concerned how all this youth will develop in 2020 and over the next several years. While there is always excitement and raised expectations after the draft and free agent signings, the Dolphins history over the past two decades has clearly shown that those expectations failed to materialize once the season was played out. I just hope this time things will be different.

Lack of dynamic and top tier players at all skill positions positions on O.

Parker had one good season, but im not buying in yet after so many poor years before it. I need to see more consitency
The concerns about Parker's consistency are certainly valid, but he can be "dynamic". I think MG, Wilson, Williams (if there aren't serious lingering ACL issues) and Brieda are pretty dynamic, as well.

That doesn't mean it's a sure thing that they all fulfill that potential, but to say we don't have potentially exciting players is not really accurate, IMO.

Unless you want to sign proven, experienced pro bowl type players (which I don't, at this point), it's all speculation on potential. I speculate our guys have the potential to hurt an opposing "D", if our game planning/coaching are sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom