What are your biggest concerns with current roster? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What are your biggest concerns with current roster?

Since there are a lot of young players on the roster with limited or no NFL experience, I am concerned how all this youth will develop in 2020 and over the next several years. While there is always excitement and raised expectations after the draft and free agent signings, the Dolphins history over the past two decades has clearly shown that those expectations failed to materialize once the season was played out. I just hope this time things will be different.
I know I'm being a glass half full guy, but the difference that gives me hope going forward, as opposed to the past, is competent leadership from Flo, and a clear "vision" with the top of the organization all pulling in the same direction.

Now that we have a good idea of what our 2020 roster will look like what are your biggest concerns?

For me number 1 is LT. Yes we drafted Austin Jackson and I have high hopes for him but he’s a 20 year old rookie who most scouts viewed as a high end developmental tackle with all the tools. He has some College tape where he got beat pretty badly by Epenesa and Julian Okwara. And behind him we have Julien Davenport not the best mentor another long young toolsy tackle who hasn’t been good at all.

Number 2 is safety. Can Bobby McCain be a good or capable FS? I think Eric Rowe is Solid. Depth behind those guys Adrian Colbert who was ok last year. Brandon Jones the rookie from Texas hopefully he’s good. Just a lot of question marks And not a very deep group.

Last area of Concern is Te. Mike Gesicki could be awesome if he continues to develop. But behind him we don’t have much. Durham Smythe has been mediocre at everything. Michael Roberts has potential but coming off an injury. One injury to Gesicki and our TE group could be worst in the league.

I wouldn't limit it to LT. My top concern is OL. Karras and Flowers are new. Likely two rookie starters. Some underestimate how much cohesion means to an OL. The O goes as the OL goes.

I worried every game last year and will worry every game RF plays this year - will fans see the 'bad' RF. Sorry, but hx is hard to ignore. If he can play well till about game 8-10, I think Tua can step in.

Offensive tackle and it’s not close

depth, feet and foot speed. Ot all the way

Offensive tackle and it’s not close

depth, feet and foot speed. Ot all the way
I agree.

That was the biggest problem last year, by far, and is isn't going to be fixed on paper. It is only fixed when it shows on the field.

While I expect we will be better (much better in the run aspect), it is, likely, another year away from being a cohesive, consistently reliable unit.

You can develop individual players in camp, and preseason, but the "unit" really only gels with game reps together, particularly with so many new faces.

No Bobby McCain can not play FS, he is terrible at Safety. He needs to go back to Nickel.

Igby is going to be a day 1 nickel. I could definitely see Bobby McCain getting cut or having a tiny roll and then getting cut next year with only about a mil of dead money.

I wonder if he has value for a 6th or 7th round pick. Hell, we got that for Jordan Lucas and Charles Harris

Pass protection followed by pass rush.

The o-line just gives me anxiety after the ten years of trash we have seen.

I am concerned about Chan Gailey because his assistants are not inspiring candidates.

Then the QB situation with Fitz/Tua. If we have a situation where Tua just lights it up and looks miles better than Fitzpatrick, I want to see Tua take reigns ASAP. Fitzpatrick may be the veteran but his status should not be determined because Gailey and him go way back. It never did anything for them before and it will not here. You don't want a Tom Savage/Deshaun Watson or Nathan Peterman/Josh Allen. The better player has to play for obvious reasons. Of course let's cross that bridge when we get to it.
I think you answer your own question. They need to be careful with the rookie QB until the OL proves that can play with consistency. To me otherwise why put Tua at risk? If he truly is a franchise talent you need to protect that early. Don't take unneeded risks just because you want to see an extra win or two (not you personally). It's important at least this year to train our focus on the future.

Last edited:
Igby is going to be a day 1 nickel. I could definitely see Bobby McCain getting cut or having a tiny roll and then getting cut next year with only about a mil of dead money.

I wonder if he has value for a 6th or 7th round pick. Hell, we got that for Jordan Lucas and Charles Harris
I think if Mcain can stay healthy you keep him for the year. Depth is important especially playing in the Miami Heat, he can be an important mentor for the rookie. If he plays well great, trade him in the off-season. IMO

Offensive line and then running back

The Oline is the biggest question so with that said.. Redshirt Tua this year.. Let him learn by sitting on the Sidelines andFully Healing getting stronger and watching... While you let the young kids learn and develop on the Oline this year.. Then u can find out if u need to invest more Premium draft picks on the Oline next year.. Or Sign Oline Free Agents.. Getting the Oline Fixed is Top Priority for Success.. Sitting and Learning worked well for Mahomes..

I think mostly its lack of experience and how players will progress and gel. This is a very young team, so I expect we'll see growing pains at virtually every position. The roster is dramatically better, but is still a work in progress.

On the offensive line, Miami could have four or five new starters. Three could be rookies in Jackson, Hunt and maybe Kindley.

Safety is now my biggest concern
I was surprised that Miami waiting so long to get a safety. Maybe Brandon Jones will be better than expected and fill one of those spots. Rowe was decent there last year.

I have no worries because the plan in my mind should be to draft high again next year with another bounty of picks.

Back
Top Bottom