What Are Your Top 3 Disappointments And Top 3 Reasons For Optimism From This Season? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Are Your Top 3 Disappointments And Top 3 Reasons For Optimism From This Season?

The way Kiko looked yesterday I wouldn’t hesitate with any front 7 add. But I bet they give it a year with the lb level and clear a 2019 path for kwon and Baker betting on development.

I agree though lb upgrade add if we do it great.

Flex tight end I don’t care what gesicki does this offseason make it a priority. Dump that and get someone else

We may have a shot at Noah Fant due to the limited snaps he's getting at Iowa.

One of the biggest things people are getting wrong about Gesicki that concerns me is this - they just point out stats of other first year TE's and say "See look! 1st year TE's rarely produce!!"

Well, that's true. However, it's not the lack of production that more astute observers are necessarily questioning. It's the way he's playing the game and what he looks like on the field as a football player. He's not playing football out there. He's playing athlete.

Production can typically come eventually for young TE's as they develop, if they're already playing football. He's not. This is squarely on the coaching staff, and also on Gesicki.

Agreed! But a competent coaching staff finds a way to highlight the things he's good at. Thus putting him in the optimum position to win his battles and utilize that athleticism.
Our coaching staff sends out Still and Carroo to block on bubble screens while putting the ball in the least fast twitch and terrible in small spaces guys hands in DVP.

That's what we do!

Agreed! But a competent coaching staff finds a way to highlight the things he's good at. Thus putting him in the optimum position to win his battles and utilize that athleticism.
Our coaching staff sends out Still and Carroo to block on bubble screens while putting the ball in the least fast twitch and terrible in small spaces guys hands in DVP.

That's what we do!

Zach Ertz can't block his way out of a wet paper sack - but he's always open. It's because the Eagles know how to use their tight ends and scheme appropriately to attack seams. Miami has no idea how to do that. All they do is run isolation routes.

You have to know how a defense is going to play you based on your personnel packages. If you want to use 12 personnel and get two TE's on the field, you should be expecting a base defense with 3 linebackers. It's as simple as emptying out the backfield and have your RB (Drake) lined up at receiver on one side with your two TE's split out on the other side - it's an empty backfield 5 WR look but out of 12 personnel. It spreads the linebackers out and forces them to play zone. They're not going to man up against you with that formation with 3 linebackers on the field. You attack one of the linebackers with a combination route up the seam where he can't be right...he has to choose to defend one or the other. It can't be both. Study how the Eagles use Ertz/Goedert and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Miami doesn't know how to use tight ends. No idea why they even draft 'em.

Zach Ertz has better football cod and short area quickness than gesicki ever will have because of his lumbering stride in his stem.

You want to try and get some return on that pick have him run all speed cut ask route concepts.

Maybe he can be cj uzomah or poor mans jared cook.

Or just trade him to the highest bidder who still believes their draft eval is accurate on the player and hit the do over button.

I’d lean the latter

Serious question. If Haskins were to come out who thinks he gets to us?

Cause that’s a big ball of clay. And if I’m swinging for the fence that kid falls in there.

Not as explosive a ball carrier as cam newton nor do I see the same level pure rocket arm but he may be more advanced in coverage ids than newton was and in 2 years you might have yourself quite the player.

Shoulder placement needs work but that should come in time and with improved foot work and foot speed.

Limited look but reminds me of a bigger version of Jordan reed in some regards

Good comp, I would say he's better than Reed when dealing with physicality, inside arm rip move is money for him gaining vertical leverage, also looks way faster than Reed.

Serious question. If Haskins were to come out who thinks he gets to us?

Cause that’s a big ball of clay. And if I’m swinging for the fence that kid falls in there.

Not as explosive a ball carrier as cam newton nor do I see the same level pure rocket arm but he may be more advanced in coverage ids than newton was and in 2 years you might have yourself quite the player.

Shoulder placement needs work but that should come in time and with improved foot work and foot speed.

I think he will be on board in the top 15 range.

Disappointments:
Lack of execution (this is a broad condemnation, you know what it means)
Tannehill no better than before
Still quite a drop off from the Patriots

Optimism:
Frank Gore is a Dolphin
Minkah is a Dolphin
Another season closer to the end of the Belicheck/Brady era

OPTIMISM: X, Minkah, Gore, Baker (based on my initial expectations), Wilson, and lets not forget Sanders.

DISAPPOINTMENTS: OL Depth (where have I heard that before), Quinn (poor pass rush), Raekwon (poor run stopping), Parker (although I was expecting this), Burke, the S unit as a whole (too many big plays given up), the fact that there are NO good QB's in the 2019 draft in reach

Reasons for Optimism

1) Explosive tandem of Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant - Even though we lost them both to season ending injuries, the hope is that both of them can recover fully and provide lots of big plays and TDs in the future.

2) Minkah Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker - I think these two will be staples of an up and coming good defense for years to come. Minkah has been outstanding as a rookie safety/corner and Baker has shown the speed and savvy to make game-changing plays.

3) Laremy Tunsil taking his game to the next level - This really took me by surprise, and in a great way. I had LT wrongly pegged as a bit of an underachiever. He has done a terrific job against some of the NFL's best pass rushers this season. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Reasons for Pessimism

1) Coach Gase - Whether it's his boneheaded play calling, his dislike of good, young players, his terrible job overseeing Matt Burke and the defense, or his overall lack of elevating most young players' games, this guy has lost me. The guy needs a big, sloppy dose of humility and common sense. You ain't Sean McVay or Sean Payton.

2) Decline of our secondary - What was thought of by most as a strength in the preseason soon became a liability, as talented youngsters such as Cordrea Tankersley and Tony Lippett took HUGE steps backwards. This is mainly on DBs coach Tony Oden and Matt Burke, as they are directly responsible for overseeing the growth of talented young players. The aforementioned coaches should have been fired weeks ago, which is another fault of Gase's.

3) Tannenbaum/Grier/Ross - This trio gives me very little hope. Tannenbaum is a joke...I still know very little about Grier....and Ross could write a book about "How Not to Run an NFL Franchise". Giesecki is a prime example of a Tannenbaum pick. MT became enamored with the Giesecki's height, wingspan, and 40 time. He paid no attention to the fact that Giesecki is weak, and to call him a finesse player is a massive understatement. I have no hope that Ross can remedy the situation with his "fire the GM/keep the coach" or "fire the coach/keep the GM" bullshit, like he's plugging positions in a bank.

3 reasons for optimism: Howard, Fitz, and Tunsil

3 reasons for pessimism:
  • McMillian’s endless mistakes
  • Ted Larsen playing in a game when anyone else is available - he is a very bad player
  • collective lack of willpower displayed by the offensive line during the 4th quarter

The only positives I have seen are Albert Wilson, Minkah, X, Tunsil, Baker, and Smythe. Jakeem would be up here but Gase has literally no idea how to use him. Drake is good but inconsistent.

Disappointments: Dolphins are taking too long to rebuild the team and with no clear direction ..IMO. We never seem to make drastic changes quickly, we always seem to be tweaking this thing or that thing with a win now mentality and it doesn't work.

Positives: Hopefully Gase is still the coach for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom