What do you really think of Jamar Fletcher? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you really think of Jamar Fletcher?

Maggot Brain

Trade Bait
Reaction score
From what I've been able to tell from reading posts on this forum over the past year or so, it seems opinions on our 2001 first round pick vary quite a bit, but, in general, lean towards the negative. Personally, my jury is still out on him and this year will go a long way in determining his verdict. First of all there's no denying he was a great college CB (I believe I read somewhere he was actually rated as the 93rd greatest college football of all time although that sounds incrediblly lofty to me). It's not his fault his skills don't translate well to the press coverage the phins employ the majority of the time. I thought that would have been something researched more thoroughly by the scouting department before he was selected with the 22nd overall pick or whatever he was. His bread and butter at Wisconsin was playing off in zone coverage and baiting QBs into throwing picks which he, in turn, took to the house with obscene regularity. Sorry Charlie (um...Jamar), that's not the way we do things down here. Check me if I'm wrong, but it seems like an awfully tall order to ask someone to totally overhaul the way they play the game and expect similar results. Granted he didn't endear himself to fans with his smack talk followed up with an injury-spurred on field flop of a rookie season. However, I think he made substantial progress last season when he learned to play within the system. In fact during the middle of the season and all the way up to the last two games (of which we will not speak) I will go so far as to say he played well when not left in one on one on perrenial all pro receivers. Even in those last two games (OK I'll speak of them a little bit) he was blamed for alot more than I personally think was his fault (i.e. lack of safety help over the top). With his 10-15 additional pounds of muscle mass, another year in the system, the signing of T-Buck and subsequent rumors of his demotion it will be extremely interesting to see how Jamar produces this year. Your thoughts if you please...

IMO this guys game is weak. There were too many times when he got beat deep last season. There is a reason that Wanny brought back T-Buck... he doesn't believe in Jamar anymore.

I would equate Jamar with Paul Lankford, aka "TOAST". Remember him?

Fletcher was clearly one of the best college cbs ever. Miami may have been incorrect in it belief that Fletcher can adjust to a press system. I think he can/will adapt, eventually. Miami was certainly incorrect about how quickly he would adapt. I don't think this was the result of insufficient research. Miami has one of the largest scouting dept. in the league and are very thorough in their research. At some point the draft just comes down to opinion and guessing.

IMO Fletcher improved a great deal last season. I think he will continue to improve. Tbuck's experience will probably win the nickle spot, but Fletch will play. He'll handle the demotion well and will learn alot from Tbuck. I still think Fletch will become one of the best cbs in the league, I'm just not sure it will happen in Miami.

I just can't believe you said that!

Originally posted by dolfan4good
I would equate Jamar with Paul Lankford, aka "TOAST". Remember him?

Dude, that is a SERIOUSLY low blow. Paul Lankford was, perhaps, one of the sorriest defensive backs EVER!

I mean, DAMN! DAAAAMN! That is one LOW BLOW to compare Fletcher to that sorry sack of ****!

You know I'm playing, right?!? ;) :tongue: :D

Seriously, though, Fletch will prove his worth from here on out. Mark my words... quote me... etc.

Kinda like Surtain took a while to develop into the stud he is today... so will/has/is Fletch.

Trust me. :cool:

Re: I just can't believe you said that!

Originally posted by -81- McMichael

Seriously, though, Fletch will prove his worth from here on out. Mark my words... quote me... etc.

Kinda like Surtain took a while to develop into the stud he is today... so will/has/is Fletch.

Trust me. :cool:

I don't remember seeing Surtain get burned so much in his first two years... so it was easier to believe he would become what he has become. Jamar, however, has yet to flash any kind of sign that he will become a good, let alone GREAT, corner.

I must have cursed him and his play more than anybody's last year (well, not including Lucas). I felt like every time a receiver got loose or an inopportune timed interference call was made, he was the culprit.

There was a few games in which I consider Jamar Fletcher the biggest reason we lost, from a Defensive standpoint. Outside of the @Buffalo game(Which they could never in 100 years reproduce without the show), it seemed like every big pass play we gave up Fletcher was covering them. It seemed like every TD the Vikings scored, Fletcher was in coverage.

I hated Buckley as a starter, but I'm happy we have him over Fletcher. Having Fletcher possibly as a dime sucks too, I was hoping Freeman would get that, or Knight could accidently give a teammate a concussion like he did in NO.

I think the guy was alright until he had to cover the opponent's best receiver. At that point he turned into mush.

Wanny has said that he has made adjustments on the D side to allow our starting corners to maintain their coverages on the opponent's best receivers all over the field. If this is true, then T-buck and Jamar will benefit. Otherwise, I feel that if Jamar is forced to cover the #1 receiver, unfortunately we'll see more of the same.

I think since Fletcher is only in his third year, he still deserves the benefit of a doubt, but if he doesn't make good strides this year, he should probably be gone. However, there was one big play where he was in coverage that wasn't his fault, in fact it was probably one of the worst calls I have ever seen in any football game. You guys know the one I am referring to, in the finale against the Patriots when David Givens pretty much picked Fletcher up and moved him out of the way, still couldn't catch the pass, the official was standing RIGHT THERE and threw the flag on Fletcher. That was the play that started the collapse. I'm not saying we would have won the game, but things would probably have been a lot different had that call been made correctly.

"There were too many times when he got beat deep last season."
--Was it a result of Fletcher's poor play (possiblly his inability to deliver a quality jam at the line of scrimmage) or was he the victim of a safety peeking in the backfield, biting on a play fake or both. I don't know.

"an inopportune timed interference call was made, he was the culprit."
--I hope you're not referring to the phantom call against him on New England's drive that tied the game. That one had a big bow on it and a card that said,"To: Bob Kraft; Love: Taglibue."

I don't want to come off as this big time defender of Jamar Fletcher. I just think he becomes the scapegoat more often than he deserves it.
It would be a pity to see him leave via free agency to flourish in a system better suited to his skills and not receive anything in return for him.

Originally posted by DolphinzD
I think since Fletcher is only in his third year, he still deserves the benefit of a doubt, but if he doesn't make good strides this year, he should probably be gone. However, there was one big play where he was in coverage that wasn't his fault, in fact it was probably one of the worst calls I have ever seen in any football game. You guys know the one I am referring to, in the finale against the Patriots when David Givens pretty much picked Fletcher up and moved him out of the way, still couldn't catch the pass, the official was standing RIGHT THERE and threw the flag on Fletcher. That was the play that started the collapse. I'm not saying we would have won the game, but things would probably have been a lot different had that call been made correctly.

I don't think there is any question about that. If that Lame *** Pass Interference call isn't made the collapse doesn't happen.

And it was LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put that one on the ref not Fletch.

I dont like this kid. Seriously there hasnt a game thats gone by since we drafted him three years ago that i havent wanted to throw my beer bottle at him on the field or at the TV. He makes way too many mistakes and he is too ******* slow!! I say give him this year and then let his butt go... but i still think it should be Buckley that starts. We know he is fast and makes plays.. i trust that.

I think he played pretty good last season and he is getting a bad rap, sure he mad mistakes but he is young and can learn from our 3 vet cbs

3 years in the same system as a starter and still slow and making mistakes?! i dont know how much longer he needs. Someone mentioned Surtain having the same problem.. theres a difference between the two.. surtain is faster.

IMO, he's not going to be a great press coverage CB - at least great enough to use a #1 pick on. on TB's D, he could probably replace Donnie Abraham and people might not notice...

Back
Top Bottom