What do you really think of Jamar Fletcher? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you really think of Jamar Fletcher?

I remember when he and Chris arrived. He was talking smack from day one and that didn't impress me.
I think that nickle back is a position that can be filled by decent free agent veterans (who don't make stupid mistakes).
Terry Cousin was awesome. There was an idiot, i forget his name, that wore #24 two years ago. He absolutely sucked. Chrebet burned him several times in the MNF meltdown.
It's too bad we wasted a first round pick on this dud. I don't think it's smart for Rick and Wanny to publicly say his game needs to pick up, they are inadvertently lowering his trade value.
What they should have done is traded him as soon as we got T-Buck, then they could have spun it into something positive and we could have got something for him.

Why trade him if we have him for one more year.. and if he improves then keep him or trade bait', if he is still sorry like now, then let him sign somewhere else.. and he will be restricted free agent next year.. so we get a first round pick?

Originally posted by dolfans1988
Why trade him if we have him for one more year.. and if he improves then keep him or trade bait', if he is still sorry like now, then let him sign somewhere else.. and he will be restricted free agent next year.. so we get a first round pick?

If he's sorry like now, who's going to want to sign him in exchange for a 1st round pick?

I hope the guy steps up and plays well as the dime back. I mean, he couldn't possibly play worse than I expect him to.

I am glad we got Buckley at nickel cb. I hated him as a starter, but he's a good nickel. He's a veteran, and likely wont make the huge, bonehead mistakes that Fletcher did. Makes us that much harder to pick on.

Re: Re: I just can't believe you said that!

Originally posted by dolfan4good

I don't remember seeing Surtain get burned so much in his first two years... so it was easier to believe he would become what he has become. Jamar, however, has yet to flash any kind of sign that he will become a good, let alone GREAT, corner.

I must have cursed him and his play more than anybody's last year (well, not including Lucas). I felt like every time a receiver got loose or an inopportune timed interference call was made, he was the culprit.

Surtain is my favorite Db, but he got burnt a lot in his first year! Marked by great improvement in his first year starting.

A lot had to do with them using him in the slot, which he was very uncomfortable doing.

You guys might be able to get a 7th rounder for him, kind of like Pitt got when they traded Troy Edwards. Don't expect better than a 6th.

maybe we can trade him for Fred Smoot. Washington fans feel the same way about him....;)

Makes me appreciate Donahoe.... he knew Clements was the only player of the bunch.

Look at MouldRocks picture. There is a Dolphin in that picture who was not in position for help on the inside where he was supposed to be.

IMO that player was the weakest link on third down last year.

If you understand football, it should also tell you what I think about Fletcher.

SCAPEGOAT

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by 1972dolphins
Look at MouldRocks picture. There is a Dolphins in that picture who was not in position for help on the inside where he was supposed to be.

If you understand football, it should also tell you what I think about Fletcher.

SCAPEGOAT

Looks to me that Moulds is outside Madison and thus not the responsibility of Marion on the play. However, I don't remember this play and can't tell if I'm right.

Fletcher is no scapegoat, he is simply not capable of covering the opponent's best receiver. I agree the safeties have inside responsibility in certain coverages, but you can't tell me that all those times Fletcher got burned were teh safeties fault.

Originally posted by 1972dolphins
Look at MouldRocks picture. There is a Dolphin in that picture who was not in position for help on the inside where he was supposed to be.

SCAPEGOAT

Hey 1972D, Madison got burned on both plays by Moulds, Jamar had nothing to do with either play. Jamar's name was not called as much last year as it was the year before, I actually thought he played better.

I remember the play. Madison gave him a one hand push at the line, Moulds went to his inside, continued upfield about 10, slanted inside, Madison looked backfield to his outside, pass thrown, Marion takes chase, and Madison then continues upfield. I may be wrong, I don't have any games on tape. But that's my recollection.

I saw too many plays last year where if the safety help was there on the inside the pass would have been intercepted or defended.

The only game where I saw Fletcher owned was the Chiefs and Gonzalez. And hell, everyone who tried to cover Gonzalez on that day got schooled.

The best way I have come to describe Dolphins pass Defense is the following. First Half=outstanding with a frustrated opposing QB (including Bledsoe in both games). Second half QB finally trusts receivers and throws downfield because they are losing and they got to do something. With Madison and Surtain on the corners most of the big plays I observed went to the inside to an indiscrimanant defenders man TO THE INSIDE.

But if you had the choice, in a four receiver set, would you throw to Fletcher or Freeman's man ? Or would you throw in Madison or Surtain's direction.

Fletcher and Freeman had a bad 2001. In 2002 I was satisfied with Fletcher's performance. That goes against the grain with the coaches and fans but I look to a 32 year old Marion for help. He's there against the run and maybe I don't understand what Bates has in his job description (run D) but in most of the successful passing plays I observed Marion was near the play 10 to 15 yards deep and it looked like he just "missed a step" in where he was suppose to be.

In other words, there are too many pictures in my mind such as the one MouldsRocks is displaying.

MDFINFAN,

I don't think you understood where I was placing the blame on that play. I think Marion was the weakest link in our pass D.

You can't ask for better Run support but his pass D left something for desire last year, at least for me.

Look at my "recollection" of that play.

As far as Moulds goes, I think Madison shut him down last year. IMO the Bills coordinator burned Marion's decision making.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Trade bait or outright release during training camp
Yes for the first and probably only time in my life, I'd have to agree with Clump!

:confused:

Originally posted by dolfan4good

Looks to me that Moulds is outside Madison and thus not the responsibility of Marion on the play. However, I don't remember this play and can't tell if I'm right.

Fletcher is no scapegoat, he is simply not capable of covering the opponent's best receiver. I agree the safeties have inside responsibility in certain coverages, but you can't tell me that all those times Fletcher got burned were teh safeties fault.

Ask yourself a question. Why was every big pass play that you can remember last year to the inside ?

With the exception of the ref's bad call in New England, nothing was down the sideline against any Dolphin defender.

Down the sideline there is no decision making. You have man coverage all the way down the sideline. In the middle, it's all the mental ability of the two players that are supposed to be in the play.

Back
Top Bottom