What happens down the road? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What happens down the road?

@1972forever ,It was just speculation... not a worry.... not a concern. You people try to read too much into a post. it's just a thought of how we may go forward and as I stated it's waaaay too early.... a lot of fans here are way too sensitive. I was just looking for conversation.... what I get is defensive remarks or salty replies. Maybe someday I can sneak into the elite posters conversations.... It's just that by the time I get up there are dozens of redundant posts so I don't feel like piling on.

Please forgive me for thinking outside the box. I will wait until someone is injured or too old before I "worry" going forward.

It's too funny here sometimes. The posters "in the know" don't hesitate to throw anything and everything, no matter how redundant, and a poster asks a question or two that "doesn't measure up" to their standards and all you get is dumped on. Why can't you peeps just try to play along without getting your panties in a bunch?

Unless, of course, it's outside your ability to reason. But I digress, I understand how important folks must feel about posting Tua's stats over and again.
So… it is a fair question to ask. And it will get really complicated in a year from now when the front office has to begin negotiations with Tua and what will be a $45 million or more a year contract.
They will have to make some difficult choices in respect to who stays or goes. What they definitely have to do is to get back to keeping all of their draft picks and drafting well. The players they let go hopefully will get us some good compensatory picks to help find players that can step in and produce.

If Tua is the QB we all hope he is, then we may also benefit from the “Brady” effect where good free agents will come in to play with him on a Deep Discount just to have a chance to win a Super Bowl.
That will help keep the train going forward.

One other thing to think about here. If Mystic Mike continues to have this type of success with his laid back player- friendly approach, then I think that will also attract other free agents to want to structure team friendly deals to play here.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, we’ll what happens when Tua is 35 and can’t play any more. What then? How can we possibly enjoy this season without solving the issue of who plays QB when Tua retires?

I’m not concerned. I don’t believe that the cap is a myth, but we see it year after year with multiple teams, the cap is very easily manipulated. In the coming years, Byron Jones will be cut. Howard will be gone at some point. Wilkins can be resigned, lowering his cap hit.

Players are going to want to play here. The lack of draft picks isn’t scary. It’s only a 1st that we are missing. We still have 3 picks in day 2. We can find starters there. Beyond that, a lot of our moves would be just improving the depth. There’s not a lot of overhaul needed to our starting lineup.

By the time new starters are needed, our more expensive contracts will be off the books. Good teams keep it going for years. With this coach and QB, I’m confident we can keep it going

In general, you have to continue to hit on draft picks so you can let the older players with big contracts leave and you replace them with the young players on cheap contracts.

This allows you to have a small core of great players that you do pay big money to.

@boomer10 ....:hclap:

Thank you for the reply. That all makes sense. Hopefully Tua takes team friendly deals. This speculation is being blown off by most posters but it's a real issue down the road especially when you sprinkle in the FA contracts and contracts for performers on rookie deals that will be due ...Tua,Waddle...
And with the defense a little long in the tooth it will be a challenge IMO.

I know it's speculation and waaaaay too early to ask:

What happens within the next 2 years to keep this offense going?
T. Hill will be approaching 30 yrs. old and, regardless of how awesome Tua has progressed, he will need to be replaced. Yes.... Please enjoy the ride.... but when does the ride end?

The draft choices we have given up gives us a smaller chance to land a projected "superstar" and it hurts is financially because we also have fewer players on rookie contracts (development while Hill is in his prime). FA may be an answer but there's only so many times you can "buy" your way into contention.

Anyway, it's a bye week and I thought I would see if anyone has given thought to the future without Hill. He is the catalyst that gets this offense where it is. Yes, he has plenty of help and a great Qb.... but without him we are far less dangerous IMO. Yes, there are other very important pieces around him and it's a team game... but let's be real here... losing Hill, at some point, will diminish our success.

Do we find a gem?
Does McD change his game?
How do we prepare for the inevitable? Or do you think it's no big deal?
Holy wet blanket Batman!

Damn, @Adam Strange .... my post isn't that far-fetched. We have a sweet offense now and until/unless the rest of the league can figure out a way to defend it consistently then we will be a tough team to win against in the foreseeable future. There's nothing abnormal to the thought of how we keep it going.... and no better place to start than the (IMO) key player who makes it work as well as it does.

I think it has become exceedingly difficult to discuss/plan for the future in the NFL, with the consistent roster turnover year-over-year and the salary cap considerations. Hill is a once or twice in a generation type of player. And yes, he completely changes the offense. At the same time, the key is the QB. Do you have the QB that can flourish regardless of the weapons around him? Any long-term QB has to cycle through receivers. I think Tua has shown the ability to do that. I also think McDaniel‘s offense can work even with a step down in quality from Tyreek, just because of the movement that opens up gaps and also - the ability he has shown with the running game.

You're right @traptses ... but the draft picks give us rookie contracts and an ability to groom and grow whereas continued FA's tend to be short term rentals for the most part.

It would be pretty cool to replace the speed and skill when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom