What I believe is going on

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 67Stang, Mar 12, 2018.

1. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Back in 2014 we were 8-8 and just missed the playoffs mainly due to 3 close games in which Tannehill scored late to give us the lead the D gave up late drives to lose games that would have put us in the playoffs. The logical thinking (at that time) is we are close and need to stop these last minute drives and a supposed once in a life time player came available in Suh that would help with those late game collapses. Obviously it did not work out as planned.

The 2 biggest issues with this team that have been going on for a VERY LONG time is horrid drafts and the O-Line. We have drafted so bad for so long that we have had to reach for good but often injured players like Delmas, Albert, and many others. Really Grimes is the only one that worked out decently. Albert was solid, but as he was in KC was often injured here too.

This regime whether right or wrong has made a decision of trying to stop slapping Band-Aids on wounds that have been open for a long time in an attempt to be competitive. They have decided to not over pay in an attempt to keep players that are good but not great and have had us averaging around .500 or below for years. We are cutting bait with the likes of Suh as well, who although a great player is not a leader and freelances too much, often running him self out of the play and losing gap integrity.

I believe the thought process here is to hopefully take one step back to take many steps forward. I love Tannehill, but he could be caught up in this as well. I think we are going to start (or attempt) to build through the draft, sign quality free agents smartly, and not overpay for our own players who will not accept fair offers to be here. It all starts with the draft though. The draft is how you keep your cap down and if you chose wisely, you don't have to gamble with the likes of Albert or overpay for the likes of Suh.

Yes it is hard to see talent leave, but it is not hard to see us not overpay for that talent on a team that has a lot of holes and not a lot of cap space.......so I get it and see what they are doing. Just MHO on the matter.

tay0365, Stoobz, CRhodes and 9 others like this.
  2. Decleater

Decleater Rookie

I think they are switching to a 3-4

*Demi*God* and 67Stang like this.
  3. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

I just think the FO is terrible and they don’t know what’s going on.

Although Suh hasn’t been anywhere near as good from a pass rushing standpoint that he was in Detroit, he was still a damn good player.

Miami got rid of a damn good player today. Nothing else needs to be said.

4. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

That makes sense but than it makes me wonder why we traded for Quinn? That's 11 million on a team already tight against the cap. Its almost as if this team is run by a total ****ing idiot!!!

5. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I’m leaning towards your thinking on this one. I think the pow-wow between Gase, Grier, and Tannenbaum might have produced a wholesale vision shift. Unfortunately, they will never reveal their thinking to the fans because that would also tip off the rest of the league.

The anger from fans, fully justified btw, is based on what appears to be a complete 180 turn after so many bad contracts and poor drafts.

I may be wrong, but I disagree on Tannehill not being a part of the culture change. He’s smart and he’s a hard worker. Gase is trying to keep more of those players in the building.

MelbournePhin, *Demi*God* and Ray R like this.
  6. EROCK528

EROCK528 Active Member

How about moving McDonald to LB with Anthony, Kiko and McMillan and sign an FS and DT (Poe)

*Demi*God* and foozool13 like this.
  7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

But why pick up Quinn?

8. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

So Suh killed our cap coming and is killing it some more going.

Well done, Tannenbaum!

Third Eye and Hargitt01 like this.
  9. Decleater

Decleater Rookie

I thought Quinn was in a 3-4 last year...

67Stang likes this.
  10. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Except for the fact that they traded for Robert Quinn who hasn't produced an elite pass rushing season in two years lmao

11. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Correct, Quinn is 4-3 DE not really sure about this love affair with the 3-4 but nothing about the personnel moves on defense say anything about a scheme change offense is a different story entirely

12. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

One things for sure Gase is definitely putting a stamp on this team. He wants his own players and getting rid of dead weight. We’ll see in the upcoming seasons if Gase is truly
    The right coach for this team.

Dakar001 and Ray R like this.
  13. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

He was, which is why the Rams moved on.

DolfanDuBbZ~ and SeventhUserName like this.
  14. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Interior o-lines were able to focus almost exclusively on him because he was surrounded by camp fodder.

Kadiddlehopper likes this.
  15. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Which makes it a very Dolphins thing to do. Trade for a 4-3 DE from a team on which he wasn't a fit in the 3-4, then switch to that system.

16. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

No way this happening because it makes too much sense. Miami with a plan or vision ... hahaha. How I wish you were right.

17. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Based on drafting Charles Harris and Raekwon McMillian and trading for Robert Quinn I would say no.

FinaticalOne likes this.
  18. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

people are reading too much into every move. The team wanted Suh to restructure his deal and he said no so they let him go

Ozzy rules!

Phins28, Dakar001, psfign and 4 others like this.
  19. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

You kind of said it. They want players who don’t freelance. Ajayi often hit the wrong hole. Landry (or his agent) were quoted as saying that Gase wants guys to run all 5 yards before cutting out instead of the 4.5 that Landry would do... presumably meaning other routes and depths as well. Suh is just as guilty of doing his own thing. They want guys who execute the plays as they’re drawn up. This has nothing to do with their attitudes or being too alpha or whatever other crap the media tries to feed us. Same reasons they believe they can get OL players from anywhere and have the line work. Be a team player, execute the plays on game day as they practice them and the system will work. I don’t know if I agree with this but it’s clear to me that this is the strategy they’re employing.

Stoobz, ozman, Greer17 and 3 others like this.
  20. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

I’d say it’s pretty clear that they put the names of all 52 players on the roster on a dart board, blindfolded a chimp, and are releasing any player’s name he hits with a dart.

21. Kdawg954

So they extend Reshad Jones to a huge deal, the freelance king, a guy who had a year left on his deal coming off a season ending injury in which the team went 9-2 without him.

Yea this all makes no ****ing sense.

22. Kdawg954

This makes more sense

XxfeensterxX likes this.
  23. Ikema

Ikema FinHeaven VIP

Can't dispute any of that above, except more does need to be said. His cap numbers were never realistic and major league backloaded, it was just time for the inevitable. People saw this the day he was signed so I'm not surprised. He may have been a damn good player, but he has been getting paid as if he was a God, and he has been far from that. Hopefully, lessons have been learned, and wiser mind will prevail.

24. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

A year ago. Their strategy has obviously changed since then. Although I don’t believe Jones is the same type of problem. He’s easily the best player in our secondary and is a difference maker. You can’t say that about Suh or Landry. Plus there’s nobody behind him on the depth chart they could slot in as they can at DT, WR and RB.

25. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

These are players I'm not going to miss besides Landry. I really like Suh. He's a great player, but I hate his contract.
    I just worry that as soon we fix the cap space we'll go back to doing the same thing and wasting it in FA. If not, then I'm board with this plan. You can't win tied down by terrible cap space.

26. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

We have one of the worst LB cores and you guy want to switch to a 3-4, lol

Stoobz and Pandarilla like this.
  27. Kdawg954

Tj Mcdonald? Hell he is the most obvious slot in on the team.

But that is not my point and I am not advocating anything about Jones. If you want to believe that Landry and Suh weren’t difference makers that is on you.

My point is, today, a year ago, 2015 when they signed Suh or 2016 when they restructured him . . . .there is ZERO vision from this front office and you cannot build a successful franchise with the complete lack of vision that these idiots have shown. No contigency at QB except for a QB that the coach clearly did not like or trust . . . To the point where they pay 10 million to a guy on his couch? That ain’t vision and this so called “culture change” is a big **** you to the fans in an attempt to scapegoat their incompetence.

You don’t build a successful franchise by being the clubhouse leader in most traded draft picks and signing other teams cuts or not retaining your good players.

joenhre likes this.
  28. canesfins13

canesfins13 FinHeaven VIP

And when we are winning all of you will proclaim the entire front office and coaching staff geniuses. Why not lets just wait out all of the moves and acquisitions and see what the new team looks like. The old roster and makeup didn't get us anywhere.

Sarnics13, Greer17 and mrbunglez like this.
  29. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

not happening. why trade for a de that fits the wide nine? plus the DC is a wide 9 guy

30. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

Exactly a lot of knee jerk reactions lately. This might turn out for the better.

*Demi*God* and Greer17 like this.
  31. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Well better get a stud DT like Fletcher Cox unless you think Phillips or Godchaux is that guy. They had Suh, but supposedly he's gone. Seems like one step forward three steps backwards with this team. Instead of needing to fill some spots at LB and FS, now they also have a huge hole in the middle of their D-Line. Phillips better step up his game big time.

32. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

It all boils down to drafting the right players. I have been on the side of we need better talent evaluators.

33. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think that what they are doing is clearing cap space in order to fill some holes on the roster and perhaps gain a little depth. By cutting Suh (June 1st cut) and Timmons, they gain a lot of flexibility that was absent prior to making these moves. Now assuming they also cut Julius Thomas, they will end up with about $24 million in available cap. That gives them enough to sign draft picks and pick up a couple of quality mid-level free agents. I realize that the benefits of making Suh a June 1 cut means they can't use that cap space until the summer but there may be more going on behind the scenes that we just don't know about yet. I am willing to see things play out between now and April 28th before I jump off the cliff and say that I will never watch another Dolphins game, buy any merchandise or make the trip to see a game.

*Demi*God* and Pandarilla like this.
  34. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

As Phinatic stated early in the thread, I think we are going to a 3-4.....or a hybrid anyways.

35. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

no way we go 3-4 We have ZERO 3-4 DEs.

Pandarilla and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  36. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

When we traded for Quinn the consensus was he was a better 4-3 DE than a 3-4 rush linebacker.

67Stang likes this.
  37. buttonwood

buttonwood Well-Known Member

Yes they won a super bowl in which the opposing qb threw for 500 yards. So yes we are morons for running that defense. Now maybe if we had a few good players on defense that might be different.

Avigatorx likes this.
  38. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

I hope they don't plan on replacing Suh with a FA because I don't see any that match what they want their DT's to do....two-down players, head cases and has-beens is all I see on the market.

Pandarilla likes this.
  39. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

The Eagles did prove that you can win a Championship with that style of defense. Of course you need a lot of talent especially on the D-line and at LB. Also would be great to have a true difference maker at FS like a Malcolm Jenkins. The Dolphins have some young talent on defense. Just need to add more talent and speed at LB . If Harris, Phillips and Godchuax don't step up they are going to have invest more in the D-Line as well.

40. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

You also need a terrible defense playing for the other team. Philly’s defense was arguably worse than New England’s in that Super Bowl they just made one play NE didn’t. They ultimately won the game because great coaching took advantage of a talent void (front 7) NE defense. But that Philly defense was HISTORICALLY BAD in the super bowl.

Avigatorx likes this.