What if Fiedler flat out wins the competition? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Fiedler flat out wins the competition?

fin-atic said:
I think what everyone should consider is this.

Will any of these QBs:

1. Be consistent
2. Stay Healthy
3. Be a playmaker when we need it.

I made a comparison in another thread that we had an average running game with Lamar Smith, Nothing special but the guy worked hard. Then we got Ricky. He ran behind the same line and became a game turner. He made huge runs, he caused teams to rething the way they played the Fins. But it was with the same personnel.

We need the same thing at QB. Jay has been fair to good, but never great. He has had durability issues and has disappeared in big games.

We need a QB who can do for the passing game what Ricky has done for the running game. They QB has to make plays to win games and has to do it consitently all year and then show up big time when it counts most.

If Jay, or AJ don't do it then Speilman and this team deserves all the criticism they get. because there were/are quality QBs to have been had. They pulled the trigger early and took a big gamble and over paid.

Only time will tell and I am behind the team as a fan. As an objective student of the game, I think we blew it and we will finish out of the playoffs again this year.

I can't see how any objective person can disagree with this postion.

Great post, and I agree with almost all of it. However it would not shock me if the Fins made the playoffs this year, all they need is AJ to be a "Dilfer"...I think the defense, not the offense will fail the fins this year, I think Miami is in big trouble at the LB position.

I support jay

I still think not looking at Collins is a big mistake

What happen to them saying "We are just bringing in as much talent as we can, its all business."

Well let it be business and bring in Collins and have even more competition.

TRUDOLFAN54 said:
Aj Will Win The Battle Just Give It Time Guys Have A Little Trust In Rick He Did Pretty Good In The Draft.i Belive Rick Knows Talent And He Sees A Hidden Gem In This Guy I Seen Him Play Here In Tampa Played A Preety Good Game Against The Bucs.has Alot Stronger Arm Than Fiedler By Season Start He Will Be The Starter And We Will Be Succesful!!!!!! Alot Of Upside

do you realize you capitalized the first letter in every word in your paragraph???

no way circle, Zach is still very legit. Greenwood gets the job done and moore can back him if he goes down. Seau is the only problem with his age...but hes coming back and is supposed to play the same important role he played last year. Were just fine this yr at LB but in the years to come we will have to start to worry about it. Jay can get the job done. Hes not the big leader like most Qbs, hes just another one of the guys. However, some games he has come in and been a big leader, (Broncos 02, Redskins 03, Jets 03)

If Jay wins, it's not a reflection on Jay being, good, or feeley being bad. It's a reflection on the failure of the FO to find a decent QB.

No one can argue that Jay has had his chance, and it's time to move on. That's right up there with Newton's laws. However, he may still be the best person on teh roster, therefore he should start if he is.

This doesn't mean Jay's good. It' means the FO has done a piss poor job of finding QB talent. They themselves admitted that the QB position must be upgraded, and have dicked around with the starting QB situation since marino retired. They've stuck with jay when they shouldn't have, and have failed to bring in decent QB competion.

It's not a reflection on Fielder, as I said, it's a reflection on the FO.

minus said:
You guys won't give props to Jay?I bet most of th people who jumped on Feeley bandwagon will be saying he sucks and blame Rick for not bringing in Collins.I can imagine how many "I hate Jay and Feeley sucks thread".Oh!Let's not forget all of Rick Spielman is an idiot thread. :roflmao:

Props to Jay? For what? Being the BEST of a group of average QB's (assuming Feeley tanks)?

Yeah, I'll be upset with Spielman for rolling ALL the dice on Feeley alone. He should be looking at getting another vet QB in here. Not hoping Feeley works out or planning on falling back on Jay. That gets us nowhere.

Collins? Warner? Couch? There are still some guys out there who are at least worth a closer look. I'm not saying those guys are the answer, but with Jay I know we are doomed to failure.

Point is, many fans are tired of Jay Fiedler, we need to see another person pass. Its sickening you know. Its sick to hear all this bullcrap because I feel like I'm going to vomit

Well it would be silly for the organization to listen to fans...I'm no Fiedler supporter, but if they dont feel the need to bring in one of these other average qbs and he beats out feeley then u gotta go with the best option we have. Collins, couch warner wouldnt be much of an upgrade over fiedler at all in my opinion, specially with the question marks on the oline. Collins and warner wouldnt fair much better than griese if our pass blockin doesnt improve. Hey my 1000th post..lol

Phinzone said:
If Jay wins, it's not a reflection on Jay being, good, or feeley being bad. It's a reflection on the failure of the FO to find a decent QB.

No one can argue that Jay has had his chance, and it's time to move on. That's right up there with Newton's laws. However, he may still be the best person on teh roster, therefore he should start if he is.

This doesn't mean Jay's good. It' means the FO has done a piss poor job of finding QB talent. They themselves admitted that the QB position must be upgraded, and have dicked around with the starting QB situation since marino retired. They've stuck with jay when they shouldn't have, and have failed to bring in decent QB competion.

It's not a reflection on Fielder, as I said, it's a reflection on the FO.

We already know our FO is piss poor. Lets just hope they made a mistake and got someone good.

Even if he (fiedler) does win the competition I dont think he should start. He has proven that he is unreliable and just not a smart football player. Feeley is unproven but that goes both ways. I say we give him a chance than hand the job over to someone else (I'm hoping they trade fiedler, yes i am aware it wont happen) if he doesnt do well.

Phinfan31 said:
do you realize you capitalized the first letter in every word in your paragraph???

If it works for Hunter S. Thompson, I guess it works for Trudolfan.

DolFinatic718 said:
I support jay

I still think not looking at Collins is a big mistake

What happen to them saying "We are just bringing in as much talent as we can, its all business."

Well let it be business and bring in Collins and have even more competition.

Actually, QB is one position where that approach doesn't work so well. Remember that we've got a new OC, a new line and a new starting WR. To get familiar with an offense, QBs need plenty of reps with the first team. They need time to develop familiarity and confidence with their top receivers. By bringing in three potential starting QBs, you limit the time that each of them has with the coaches and the first team offense. We wouldn't get a good idea of what Kerry Collins can do for us by having him throw a bunch of passes to Ron Bellamy and Sam Simmons.

This of course, sets aside the question of whether Collins would be real interested in signing with a team that already has a two-man QB battle.

Actually, QB is one position where that approach doesn't work so well. Remember that we've got a new OC, a new line and a new starting WR. To get familiar with an offense, QBs need plenty of reps with the first team. They need time to develop familiarity and confidence with their top receivers.
I've been saying this for a while.... there's more than one factor in the success of an offense. Chemistry is one of the biggest. Even if you have mediocre talent.. IF they have played together long enough and accept each others' roles, they can compensate for one another. They can become their own unit working within their own talent.
If Jay does win... I'll be chuckling the whole year. Being a Jay fan and AJF fan, I'd still like to see Jay stick it to the fans and come out a winner.
But, I think one of the bigger questions regarding AJF is he quick reads. This is definitely Jay's weakest area. If AJF can make the quick reads and quick (NOT STRONG) pass, our offense will open up even more.
AJF doesn't have to throw the deep ball well, we just need to improve in the 5 - 15 yd range.
Losing OG really hurt us silently. I knew when the FO kept stringin' him along, his career was being ruined. He fit our "security blanket" needs so well. He had a great blend of height, hands and route running. We have yet to replace him and it is showing big time.
IF we can get RK back in the mix and use RM more effectively, the underneath stuff will open up the outside for CC and DB. Also, that 5-15yd passing game opens up a few more running lanes with the safeties/LBs having to honor the outlets. If we use a 2 back set, we have 4 legitment receivers and Ricky (run/pass). Getting all these guys into open space will create more man2man situations. This is were AJF or JF NEEDS to make the quick read to find the mismatch quickly.
If you look at the Dallas game, you'll see a lot of the 5-15yd gains. That is one big reason the offense exploded. We had sufficient blocking, plenty of targets and decisive reads. That was our O at it's best.
Hopefully the line will come together and Wanny will stick with his conviction to get RK in the game more.
Seems like the entire tenure of the JJ era has yet to truly execute the O as designed on a consistent basis. Either due to injury, miscasted personnel, lack of talent or bad reads.
It's scary to think, but the O just went through a rebuilding year. It's a stark reality which we should realize and understand what comes along with it.... PATIENCE.

GO JAY.
and GO AJ!

Back
Top Bottom