What if Fiedler flat out wins the competition? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Fiedler flat out wins the competition?

I thought this was RIGHT on POINT.

Dolphins look for quicker rhythm on offense (PBP)

I just got threw reading this article. Seems VERY interesting. Take special note of the comment about Sage. Also, note what Trestman says about arm strength in AJ. Then he goes on to reflect on all 3's arm strength within the system.

Thought you might want to read with your morning Cup O Joe!

Hunt...I think OGs agent screwed him, not the FO....IMO

If JF wins the job, it will be because AJ completely falls off the face of the earth in training camp. You don't give up the pick and the starting salary for him to sit on the bench....JF has done what he can do. He is not this horrible QB some say, but he does have weaknesses that he has not been able to improve or overcome. Inaccuracy and poor decision making has killed him. That all being said, if JF wins the job, the real problem will be that H. Wayne has done NOTHING to change the course of the Fins this year. He didn't change coaches, he made a title change with RS, but that in itself is not enough. Changing the QB was the next most important thing we need to do the change this team.

I agree with the QB issue Larry. However, I do slightly disagree with RS. I think he got more than a name change. He called this year's draft AND oversaw all FA moves. That to me is huge. By eliminating Wanny's roles, Wayne is making Wanny be responsible for what he truly is... COACH. I think this move makes Wanny MORE accountable. If the same results occur this year, Wayne can honestly fire Wanny and Wanny can't say he had personnel distractions or TOO much responsibility. He either proves it on the field or doesn't. Wayne did more than change a few titles, he shifted accountability. Ultimately making any issues over firing someone related to their actual performance in a discreet category. And not related to a "few" reasons.
As far as QB, I think AJ WILL win. But, the "title" change also gives Wayne the ability to hold RS directly accountable for the success of the team. Wayne can blame Wanny for on the field decisions and results and blame RS for failing to improve the team's talent in critical areas. He's shifted power nicely.
I like the choice in AJ. I still say RS is potentially one of the best underrated GMs in the game. We've got a real gem, he just hasn't had the ability to shine. And I hope Wayne gives him at LEAST 2 shakes at a draft and FA. Because placing him in a one year "win or lose" situation isn't fair. Talent cannot be grown (draft) and acquired (FA) to reach full potential in one year. VERY FEW players in the league can make a huge difference in one year, especially at skill positions. WR and QB are NOT by any means 1 year turnaround spots. Sure, you can IMPROVE in one year, but you can't reach those acquisitions' full potential until chemistry and knowledge of the new system have been acquired. Those both take time.
AJ will win by his nose in camp... then as he has time to flourish and make mistakes, he will grow into the QB we need. I still hope JF hangs around for another year or 2 to help provide that needed security blanket.
I think another real coup would be for Sage to spoil everyone's hopes and finally develop into something to be reckoned with in camp. Early reports are favorable.

Muck said:
I must ask, are you doing this kind of thing on purpose?? I mean, you just took a shot at everyone who hasn't given up on the season already. Meaning, you just took a shot at 95% of Dolphin fans.

Really, I feel like an objective person. But I completely disagree with you. I feel like that statement was completely unobjective.

If I'm misinterperating what you said (and those two sentences weren't meant to be tied together), I sincerely apologize for my error. Either way, I guess I need clarification. :)

What about it, Fin-atic? It sounded like a horrendous overstatement to me.

LarryFinFan said:
Hunt...I think OGs agent screwed him, not the FO....IMO

If JF wins the job, it will be because AJ completely falls off the face of the earth in training camp. You don't give up the pick and the starting salary for him to sit on the bench....JF has done what he can do. He is not this horrible QB some say, but he does have weaknesses that he has not been able to improve or overcome. Inaccuracy and poor decision making has killed him. That all being said, if JF wins the job, the real problem will be that H. Wayne has done NOTHING to change the course of the Fins this year. He didn't change coaches, he made a title change with RS, but that in itself is not enough. Changing the QB was the next most important thing we need to do the change this team.

A.J is not making much this year.His contract is backloaded.You start the best QB not someone by default because you gave up compesation for his services.

minus said:
You guys won't give props to Jay?I bet most of th people who jumped on Feeley bandwagon will be saying he sucks and blame Rick for not bringing in Collins.I can imagine how many "I hate Jay and Feeley sucks thread".Oh!Let's not forget all of Rick Spielman is an idiot thread. :roflmao:

Thats the part alot of Dolfans are missing in this AJ Feeley situation. AJ Feeley has never before proven to be good enough to start in the NFL. Alot of guys assume because we invested a 2nd rounder next year (3rd round value) in him that he's the man. I think that is a misunderstanding on their part. A young, quality back up QB is well worth a 3rd round value.

I hope AJ Feeley starts, but I doubt he'll be able to beat out Fiedler.

minus said:
Word.The Fins gave up too much for Feeley is true.We already have a QB prospect who in my opinion has all the tools.We could have just save that pick and allow Sage to comepete with Fiedler.I wouldn't be surprise that Sage outplays Feeley and Fiedler but still end up as #3.

I understand how you feel. But honestly, I'd have been pleased if the Dolphins had traded away next years 2nd rounder to draft a Loseman or Feeley type QB. We need a quality backup either way, whether it's Jay or AJ.

Not having a quality backup QB has hurt us alot the last few seasons.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Thats the part alot of Dolfans are missing in this AJ Feeley situation. AJ Feeley has never before proven to be good enough to start in the NFL. Alot of guys assume because we invested a 2nd rounder next year (3rd round value) in him that he's the man. I think that is a misunderstanding on their part. A young, quality back uyp QB is well worth a 3rd round value.

I hope AJ Feeley starts, but I doubt he'll be able to beat out Fiedler.

Thank you.At least you get the big picture.People expect A.J to be a Savior.He is not even the most talented QB on the roster because those honors belong to Sage.Being a QB in NFL require more than just arm strength.I'm not sure A.J could be a successful starting QB if he couldn't even make it in College.

minus said:
Thank you.At least you get the big picture.People expect A.J to be a Savior.He is not even the most talented QB on the roster because those honors belong to Sage.Being a QB in NFL require more than just arm strength.I'm not sure A.J could be a successful starting QB if he couldn't even make it in College.

Over the past 2-3 seasons, nobody around here has ever said Feeley was better that Fiedler. Then, after a season that he doesnt throw a pass, he suddenly is going to unseat Jay Fiedler. I just dont think it works that way. I could see Feeley replacing Fiedler someday, but not even necessarily this year. I hope Feeley immediately becomes the greatest QB we've ever had, or even just an upgrade, but I think it's a stretch to assume he's going to start based on what he's done so far.

Fin Atic, I understand your position. But your using facts you know now to imply what we did before we knew that. Collins is young enough that had we got Losman to develop and signed Collins, that would have been a good plan. Did we know Collins would be available? We may have have known it was possible but it was a contingency based on them getting Eli. Do we know for a fact that if theu got Ben they may have kept Collins cause they didnt feel Ben could start right away? You already proved one point, that is when you were gung-ho for Rivers and he was teh better option you were wrong. He was gone, long before 20, so if we banked on him, we would have been stuck. So what would you be cryin had Collins not been available and we lost out on Brunell, Ramsey, Feeley, etc..? Now we are stuck with Jay again, our FO suks and failed to address teh biggest need, thats what. Paid too much? sorry prices are not established by you. Look at how much Buffalo paid to get a guy to sit teh bench for 2 years? Feeley has as much potential as Losman, althoi Losman has a bigger arm, Feeley has the better head based on the neg reported about Losman.

Of course Rick will look bad if this fails, but he will look like a genius if it works.

He did start in college so get your facts straight before you post. He lost it due to a serious elbow injury. Harrington came in and lit things up. By the time AJ was healthy again, Joey was entrenched. They came out the same year. He was a backup for 2 years, he didnt spend a career as a backup with multiple teams so that is a ridiculous argument. Ho many current starters would take a backup to McNabb if that situation was presented? Many of them would. So you like Jay, cool, I do as well, but to say AJ is not a starter in this league based on being in the league 2 years sitting behind an all-pro is not a logical argument.

If Fielder is the starting QB again this year, we'll be in the same position as the last 4 years, going no place. :lastyr: Even with a new improved O-Line, giving him more time in the pocket or on the run. Fielder is as good as he's going to get, you just can't change that. If Wanny wants to keep his job after this year, Fielder isn't the answer at starting QB.

I've posted this in another thread, but if Jay Fiedler wins the starting job (big if), and if can regain his 2002 pre-injury form and stay healthy, he should be capable of quarterbacking a playoff team.

I analyzed his 2002 numbers and put them against the season numbers for last year's playoff quarterbacks.

Fiedler

QB RATING: 85.2
TD/INT RATIO: 1.56
TDs PER GAME: 1.27

These numbers compare favorably with five of last year's 12 playoff QBs:

Kyle Boller, Donovan McNabb, Quincy Carter, Marc Bulger and Jake Delhomme.

They pale in varying degrees compared to the remaining seven playoff QBs:

Tom Brady, Trent Green, Jake Plummer, Steve McNair, Matt Hasselbeck, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning.

I'm liking how this thread is panning out... good contribs runover and mike. I like the more rational sides of the debate. I too think that having AJF come in and start immediately (although I'd welcome it) is asking too much. Even with all the preseason practice... you just can't come in that quickly and jell.
I think realistically, AJ will sit behind JF for a few games until he gets better acquainted with our game time philosophy. Actually watching JF manage the offense so he can learn the right and wrong things to do in GAME TIME situations. That probably helped in Philly, as well.
I feel a JF injury will eventually open the door. Wanny will not make such a high profile decision based on 1on1 comparisons between the 2. He will say "Jay gives us the best chance to win NOW" when he makes his final preseason judgements. That gives him HIS guy to start with. Then, when JF gets injured or starts losing games DIRECTLY attributed to HIS turnovers, Wanny will concede to the FO to save his job. Then, he can't be blamed for NOT giving AJF a chance.
But, all in all, I'm started to slowly foster the idea that Sage could become such a wild card in the whole debate that he might make EVERYONE get in a twist if he outperforms both. After making such a big deal about JF (Wanny) vs. AJF (FO), who would break first and concede that MAYBE Sage needs a chance? Especially if he performs with the first team and DOES WELL, not just good.
What ya think?

rickeyrunsover said:
He did start in college so get your facts straight before you post. He lost it due to a serious elbow injury. Harrington came in and lit things up. By the time AJ was healthy again, Joey was entrenched. They came out the same year. He was a backup for 2 years, he didnt spend a career as a backup with multiple teams so that is a ridiculous argument. Ho many current starters would take a backup to McNabb if that situation was presented? Many of them would. So you like Jay, cool, I do as well, but to say AJ is not a starter in this league based on being in the league 2 years sitting behind an all-pro is not a logical argument.

I know he started and to be exact only six games.He wasn't exactly a good college QB.Is not even that I'm a Jay supporter because I wanted Jay replace this offseason with someone who is proven starter and upgrade like Brunell.I just find it funny how people expect anyone to better than Jay and could easily unseat Jay.Like I said:

I'm not rooting for a particular guy to win.

I just find it hard to believe how some people expect Feeley to be a savior and might end up really dissapointed come regular season.

Back
Top Bottom