What if Fiedler flat out wins the competition? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Fiedler flat out wins the competition?

As always, this issue polarizes fans and makes it seem like that if a Dolphin fan doesn't call for the immediate release of Fiedler, he is a delusional Fiedler hugger.

The question in my mind has always been misstated as, "Can Jay Fiedler lead the Dolphins to the Super Bowl?" The answer is, of course not. Very few QBs are actuall good enough to be THE driving force behind their Super Bowl run. Even Dan Marino only led the Dolphins to the Super Bowl once, and that was a loss.

A better question to ask is, "Can the Dolphins reach the Super Bowl with Fiedler as quarterback?" I would argue the answer is a qualified yes. Fiedler's best campaign (in 2002), saw him put up numbers that would have placed him in the middle of this season's playoff quarterbacks, statistically. And Super Bowl history is littered with teams whose quarterbacks were caretakers, not stars.

A tougher question, and obviously the question on everyone's mind, is: Does Feeley give us a better shot at a Super Bowl run. Provided he learns the offense quickly (an offense that Collier and Co. seem to tailoring to Feeley's strength, by the way), I think the answer could be yes.

But Fiedler is not the antichrist, nor is he the worst quarterback ever to start on a playoff-caliber team. And he should make an excellent backup.

DrAstroZoom said:
As always, this issue polarizes fans and makes it seem like that if a Dolphin fan doesn't call for the immediate release of Fiedler, he is a delusional Fiedler hugger.

The question in my mind has always been misstated as, "Can Jay Fiedler lead the Dolphins to the Super Bowl?" The answer is, of course not. Very few QBs are actuall good enough to be THE driving force behind their Super Bowl run. Even Dan Marino only led the Dolphins to the Super Bowl once, and that was a loss.

A better question to ask is, "Can the Dolphins reach the Super Bowl with Fiedler as quarterback?" I would argue the answer is a qualified yes. Fiedler's best campaign (in 2002), saw him put up numbers that would have placed him in the middle of this season's playoff quarterbacks, statistically. And Super Bowl history is littered with teams whose quarterbacks were caretakers, not stars.

A tougher question, and obviously the question on everyone's mind, is: Does Feeley give us a better shot at a Super Bowl run. Provided he learns the offense quickly (an offense that Collier and Co. seem to tailoring to Feeley's strength, by the way), I think the answer could be yes.

But Fiedler is not the antichrist, nor is he the worst quarterback ever to start on a playoff-caliber team. And he should make an excellent backup.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Isn't it just possible that Fiedler is not as bad as some try to make him out to be? A large number of people on this board think that:

1. Fiedler is a good, but not great QB.
2. Teams have made it to and won the SB recently with QBs no better than Fiedler
3. QBs of Marinos caliber aren't just sitting around waiting for teams to call.
4. The success that the team has had with Fiedler actually counts for something and actually PROVES that the team is capable of winning with him at QB.

Your assessment leaves out the majority of people on this forum - those that acknowledge Fielder's strengths AND weaknesses.

The number of posts that completely dismiss all of Fiedler's accomplishments outnumber the posts that ignore his limitations by 1000 to 1. I also believe that there are many people on this board that feel any out of work QB is an upgrade to Fiedler. I simply don't believe that is true.

BTW, you cannot be a damn good backup and have zero skills as people on this forum like to claim.

I am all for upgrading any position on the team at any time, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of not upgrading postions that are in worse shape. If we could bring in a pro-bowl caliber QB tomorrow without destroying the team's ability to compete in other areas, I say go ahead.

Ok about your points;
1.Fiedler is a good, but not great QB. That was basically what I said. Good in a back up role. Not a starter.

2.Teams have made it to and won the SB recently with QBs no better than Fiedler Yet in his time here he has 1 playoff victory. (Thank You Lamar Smith)

3.QBs of Marinos caliber aren't just sitting around waiting for teams to call. I never said the Dolphins need to go find another Marino. I just wondered out loud, why people don't expect more form his predecescor. Alot of people seem quite content with Fiedler's mediocrity.

4.The success that the team has had with Fiedler actually counts for something and actually PROVES that the team is capable of winning with him at QB. What proof? This team has missed the playoofs twice while he has been here, have 1 playoff victory and have never made it past the second round. I guess if all you expect from your team is to barely making the playoffs and go out in the first round or not make the playoffs at all, then yeah this team with Fiedler is "capable of winning."

Your assessment leaves out the majority of people on this forum - those that acknowledge Fielder's strengths AND weaknesses.

My post wasn't about people that think Fiedler is an OK QB. Who is better suited as a backup. It was a post about the people that still, for some reason, think this guy can leads the Phins to a Super Bowl. It is a post about Fiedler Lover's, not about those of us who know exactly what we have in Fiedler.......A quality backup trying to make as a starter, who simply not good enough to be one.

DrAstroZoom said:

I never once called for his release, in fact I stated clearly I think he is a solid back up.

pigskinguy said:
I never once called for his release, in fact I stated clearly I think he is a solid back up.

Ok ... actually, I indulged in a bit of hyperbole. But while I think Fiedler is best suited to be a backup, he could, if pressed, be the quarterback of a Dolphin team reaching the Super Bowl. Does that make me a Fiedler lover or unrealistic? I think not.

A better question to ask is, "Can the Dolphins reach the Super Bowl with Fiedler as quarterback?" I would argue the answer is a qualified yes.

I disagree. But I like I said in my original post, That is just my opinion. Obviously there are debatable issues on both sides. The point I was trying to make was to figure out why there are so many people here that are absolutely locked into Fiedler. I don't get it.

I also don't agree with the people who think he should be cut and never play football because is completely sucks. (I guess I should have made a thread about those people too :D )

I think Fiedler is a quality backup, who is being asked to do to much as a starter. He just simply isn't starter material IMO.

Feidler isn't talented enough to win outright. Coaches need to consintrate on making AJ and Sage better.

minus said:
You guys won't give props to Jay?I bet most of th people who jumped on Feeley bandwagon will be saying he sucks and blame Rick for not bringing in Collins.I can imagine how many "I hate Jay and Feeley sucks thread".Oh!Let's not forget all of Rick Spielman is an idiot thread. :roflmao:

If he does win it outright [I predict he does] then that means a wasted 2nd rnd pick next yr. Not even mentioning the $$$$.

pigskinguy said:
Ok about your points;
1.Fiedler is a good, but not great QB. That was basically what I said. Good in a back up role. Not a starter.

Not what I said. Don't put words in my mouth.

pigskinguy said:
2.Teams have made it to and won the SB recently with QBs no better than Fiedler Yet in his time here he has 1 playoff victory. (Thank You Lamar Smith)

So it would seem that the team around Fiedler needs to perform consistently at the level of the Ravens in 2000.

pigskinguy said:
3.QBs of Marinos caliber aren't just sitting around waiting for teams to call. I never said the Dolphins need to go find another Marino. I just wondered out loud, why people don't expect more form his predecescor. Alot of people seem quite content with Fiedler's mediocrity.

I just don't see the number of content people that you do.

pigskinguy said:
4.The success that the team has had with Fiedler actually counts for something and actually PROVES that the team is capable of winning with him at QB. What proof? This team has missed the playoofs twice while he has been here, have 1 playoff victory and have never made it past the second round. I guess if all you expect from your team is to barely making the playoffs and go out in the first round or not make the playoffs at all, then yeah this team with Fiedler is "capable of winning."

Its not all I expect but I refuse to dismiss any success because we haven't won the SB recently. Take a look at reality. The NFL has achieved parity. If you think your team will make the SB every year, you are wrong.

The Fins have one of the highest winning %s over the last 4 years. Why do you totally dismiss that?

pigskinguy said:
My post wasn't about people that think Fiedler is an OK QB. Who is better suited as a backup. It was a post about the people that still, for some reason, think this guy can leads the Phins to a Super Bowl. It is a post about Fiedler Lover's, not about those of us who know exactly what we have in Fiedler.......A quality backup trying to make as a starter, who simply not good enough to be one.

I see you're one of the Fiedler Haters. You certainly are entitled to your opinion. How do you watch the team win with Fiedler at QB and still believe they have no chance at the SB? I can understand you thinking it is not likely, but to claim that there is no chance is just ignoring the fact that the team averages 10 wins per year during his time with the Fins and that the winning % would be higher if he played all of the games.

DeDolfan said:
If he does win it outright [I predict he does] then that means a wasted 2nd rnd pick next yr. Not even mentioning the $$$$.

Unless we have playoff success with Fiedler at the helm.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Not what I said. Don't put words in my mouth.

So it would seem that the team around Fiedler needs to perform consistently at the level of the Ravens in 2000.

I just don't see the number of content people that you do.

Its not all I expect but I refuse to dismiss any success because we haven't won the SB recently. Take a look at reality. The NFL has achieved parity. If you think your team will make the SB every year, you are wrong.

The Fins have one of the highest winning %s over the last 4 years. Why do you totally dismiss that?

I see you're one of the Fiedler Haters. You certainly are entitled to your opinion. How do you watch the team win with Fiedler at QB and still believe they have no chance at the SB? I can understand you thinking it is not likely, but to claim that there is no chance is just ignoring the fact that the team averages 10 wins per year during his time with the Fins and that the winning % would be higher if he played all of the games.

No, not a Feidler hater, but I feel he is being mis-cast as a starter. I simply don't think this team wins the Super Bowl with Fielder. Too many mistakes at the wrong time. Bad decision. And an absolutely brutal 4th quarter QB rating. Not exactly a clutch performer. You don't need to be the most talented QB to win the Super Bowl but you do need to be clutch. (See Tom Brady)

zachseau13 said:
Wait, so what did we all decide?

:lol:

My opinion is if Fiedler wins the competition, it will be because he has upped his level of play significantly, not because Feeley's a bust. Assuming that is the case, I think we can have success.

That said, I think Feeley will emerge as the starter.

DrAstroZoom said:
Unless we have playoff success with Fiedler at the helm.

:confused: That would be irrelevant. If Feeley does not start, then his trade was a waste.

DrAstroZoom said:
I've posted this in another thread, but if Jay Fiedler wins the starting job (big if), and if can regain his 2002 pre-injury form and stay healthy, he should be capable of quarterbacking a playoff team.

I analyzed his 2002 numbers and put them against the season numbers for last year's playoff quarterbacks.

Fiedler

QB RATING: 85.2
TD/INT RATIO: 1.56
TDs PER GAME: 1.27

These numbers compare favorably with five of last year's 12 playoff QBs:

Kyle Boller, Donovan McNabb, Quincy Carter, Marc Bulger and Jake Delhomme.

They pale in varying degrees compared to the remaining seven playoff QBs:

Tom Brady, Trent Green, Jake Plummer, Steve McNair, Matt Hasselbeck, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning.

Kyle Boller never played in a playoff game last season. The Ravens had Anthony Wright going for them.

Back
Top Bottom