What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB?

so your business model is to keep drafting qb's? You do know there are 21 other positions that needs to be filled?
Business model? Sure. There is no business without a successful QB so yeah, whatever it takes all day every day every season until that's shored up. How do you want to win? With a really good nose tackle leading the way or maybe a FS? Bush league.

I hope they discuss preemptive moves.
I wonder if the colts would give us permission to try to talk Luck out of retirement and work something out.
I’d offer Rosen and a conditional pick.
Anything is better than Cincy ending up with all of our high picks

Good post OP. The logic is absolutely sound and this is worth considering IF were forced to trade up for one of the top 2 QBs or if we’re looking to reach on one of the others at 5 (I hope not.) I’m not opposed at all to taking another key impact position at 5 or trading down.

If there was EVER a year to pass up on taking a (potential) franchise QB THIS is the year to do it because we will be loaded next year too. The question is, do we strongly covet anyone outside of Lawrence in 2021 to make the risk worth it? As long as we do, then it absolutely makes sense because it’s possible Lawrence will end up priceless.

We have a luxury few teams have ever had with this many picks in 2 years. Because of how many picks we have, we can view the prospects this year and next year .vs. looking only 1 year in advance and damn near assure ourselves anyone outside of Burrow and Lawrence. I am a Tua fan, but if the staff is not sold on his injury status or we have to sacrifice a bunch of picks to get him then I’m all for waiting.

Anyone who argues against this with the notion that you “have to take a chance on a franchise QB” should consider the following:

- By passing this year, it does NOT follow that we will pass next year. On the contrary, it almost ensures we will take one the next year.
- When you take a top QB you are BOUND to them for atleast 2-3 years (there are very few exceptions, e.g. Kyler Murray) so this is why you have to be as damn sure as you can be when you make that pick - it’s a wedding proposal and the entire rebuild hinges on it. You’re building your team/offense around THAT QB. And if you gave up multiple picks then you really screwed yourself.

So do you take the risk if you’re not sold? No. You stack the team with youthful talent in the most critical positions so that when you DO take your man he is setup (and the team) for success.

Excellent post and I’m a fan if were forced to trade up or if the QB were taking is considered a reach.

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with you on it. Not worth two 1sts and a 2nd with Chris Grier doing the picking? Yeah right.

Not worth two 1sts and a 2nd with Ozzie Newsome doing the picking? That's an entirely different discussion.
Newsom has retired, and Grier has a total of one (1) draft that he is responsible for. Not a great draft but by most measures a B-, above average. You missed my point though, many think the "kid" is the messiah. I flat out don't. The "kid' was surrounded but superior talent and coaching at Alabama, and was not challenged as much as you might think.
I would still take the chance at #5. There's no way I sell the farm for him, (2x#1's and a #2) , those choices and worth far more than any 1 player not named ie: Marino, Elway, Namath, Unitas...

Who was the last NFL draft prospect that was a proven commodity ? This kid has been to two national champs a very close 2nd in Heisman vote and was one of the most accurate passers in the college game over his time at Bama.

Injury Prone ? He had two ankle sprains and a freak hip injury, is he really any more injury prone than anyone else ? Hell he has stronger ankles than most other pro athletes now.

A franchise QB is worth 2 #1's and a #2 in anyone's book. Ask KC if they regret paying what they had to get Mahomes. Will it cost that much to snag him though, I highly doubt that, I posted an analysis of why in another thread. Anyway we have 5 first rounders in the next 2 years, if there was ever a time to take a risk, this is it. Jaylon Smith is a recent example of speculating to accumulate on a player's talent over an injury issue.
Can you say Ryan Leaf? Bama was a pro team playing with boys. Injury prone, period. That's despite having an elite OL to protect him and the best weapons to work with. BTW he lost one of those NC games...

Can you say Ryan Leaf? Bama was a pro team playing with boys. Injury prone, period. That's despite having an elite OL to protect him and the best weapons to work with. BTW he lost one of those NC games...
Elite Oline, eh? Care to fill me in on where all those Alabama Olineman are being drafted last year and this year?

If you think there are any, absolutely any similarities between Ryan Leaf and Tua, then I honestly don't know what to say and we should end this conversation right here.

If you think there are any, absolutely any similarities between Ryan Leaf and Tua, then I honestly don't know what to say and we should end this conversation right here.
Just sayin' there are no guarantees, anybody can bust. John Bosa...

As most here know, I'm not exactly a Tua proponent, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Leaf was a 11 yr old in a 21 yr old body. He was immature, to the point of being unable, mentally, to deal with the pressure, and accountability of the NFL.

I don't believe anyone thinks that is true of Tua. By all accounts, he eagerly accepts the responsibility, and challenges in life.

Elite Oline, eh? Care to fill me in on where all those Alabama Olineman are being drafted last year and this year?
Well in '19 They had a tackle at #11 a TE at 50 and a center at 153. This year they expect 2 tackles in the first two days, and a G on day 3. 6 from any one school seems to qualify?

Leaf was only an example in the fact that he was a first round bust. I like Tua at #5 not at #2 via 2x#1's and a 2

So you mention the NC loss inferring Tua's responsibility but claim the championship is due to an elite OL and Pro team playing with boys. Your agenda shines through bright.

Tua's injury concerns are valid but your failing to acknowledge the talent he has discredits your self perceived ability to evaluate talent.

Well in '19 They had a tackle at #11 a TE at 50 and a center at 153. This year they expect 2 tackles in the first two days, and a G on day 3. 6 from any one school seems to qualify?
That screams elite to you? This isn't the Alabama offensive line from 6+ years ago when they were churning out Heisman running backs.

So you mention the NC loss inferring Tua's responsibility but claim the championship is due to an elite OL and Pro team playing with boys. Your agenda shines through bright.

Tua's injury concerns are valid but your failing to acknowledge the talent he has discredits your self perceived ability to evaluate talent.
Of course it does, I'ma ignorant hayseed who don't no nuthing anyway( with an agenda). Tua didn't win that game, he had the chance to put it out of reach, nor did I claim his championship was not his fault.

Read again Like at 5 (five) don't want to overspend. Period. This team needs too much.

Back
Top Bottom