What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB?

I agree about waiting and the unknowns. That right there is the main reason I labeled Miami as potentially being in desperation mode for a QB in 2020. The fear is picking a QB in 2020 and being in the same boat as the NY Jets with Darnold, Cleveland Browns with Baker Mayfield and the Buffalo Bills with Allen, as their QB's. Neither has distinguished themselves as improving and leading their respective teams, to playoff contention or elite status. That's how I view all the QB's outside of Tua. To be honest I'd rather fill in the rest of the roster with elite players, then swing for the fences on a QB, similar to what KC and Houston did with Mahomes and Watson.
Tua isn’t a sure thing as was Mahomes and Watson...some can play some can’t and good scouting and luck come into play as much as draft position

You know what, (Your mom likes these words. Not sorry) it.

Arch Manning will be a sophomore in high school next year and looks like he could be better than both his uncles. I say wait until 2026 to draft a QB and go grab Arch Manning,..hopefully by then, with trading back numerous times, we have 15 1st round picks that year.
Eh, I heard the 2027 class is better. Im waiting.

I heard the reincarnation of Jesus Christ is happening in 2030. Let's wait till then, to draft him. He's sending signals he wants to be a Dolphin.

I am not sold on Burrow. I am impressed with his record-breaking season, however I believe he will struggle in Cincinnati. The Bengals have positions of need all over the place. A.J. Green will be gone, and that leaves the ghost of T.J. Who's Your Momma at WR. The OL is built to allow sacks and pressure on the QB, and we all know what that looks like, especially when Tannehill was our QB.

I truly think the best route to a long-term playoff team in Miami starts with this draft. If Tua is there at 5, grab him. If not, trade down and stack low first & second round picks, and get three starters on OL, DL/EDGE, and LB in the 1st round, then get a solid S and a solid DB in the second round. This draft is deep for WR and RB, as well as talent in the trenches, so even a third round selection is still a good get this year on paper.

The QB position is the focus for us, however let's not forget that a rebuild doesn't necessarily start with a QB. The Colts built their OL first, and Luck was better for it. Same with NE and Brady, Brees and N.O., and Wilson in Seattle during their SB/playoff years.

Trying to build a SB team around a QB will turn a team into the Rams and Goff, the Ravens and Jackson, and the Vikings and Cousins. Good teams, but sustainability a void. The Chiefs are the anomaly here, but I think coaching made the difference in the SB, not just talent of Mahomes/Kelcie/Williams. OL and DL run-blocked and stopped the run systematically when KC coaching made the adjustments.

Don't sleep on FA either. Since Brees is coming back, it also presents an interesting scenario. Bridgewater will probably want more money than the Saints want to pay, and keep Hill. Teddy might get a second shot in Miami as a FA. It's an option, anyway. One of many.

FA also offers Clowney, Armstead, Conklin, and a slough of others, and MIA has the cap space to get at least 3 Pro Bowl players to fill needs, and without killing the entire cap.

While some in here are critical of Grier, I think he has done an excellent job allocating draft capital and creating a HUGE cap surplus. I know losing Tunsil and Mitzpatrick wasn't easy to swallow, but those moves put the Fins in the best possible position to get their targeted player(s) over the next TWO drafts.

In closing, it will come down to simply BPA in the first round, or trading down and having more draft ammo to address team needs. The answer will be very clear based on what Miami does at 5. I really don't think we trade up to 3. The cost is a starting OL/DL/EDGE & a starting RB. Remember, the value of a player at one position cannot outweigh the value of other positions needed. In other words, Tua may be the best QB for Miami, but is he the best option for the team and its needs at this juncture?

Guess we will see in April.

Sorry for the long post. Thoughts turn into words...

I agree about waiting and the unknowns. That right there is the main reason I labeled Miami as potentially being in desperation mode for a QB in 2020. The fear is picking a QB in 2020 and being in the same boat as the NY Jets with Darnold, Cleveland Browns with Baker Mayfield and the Buffalo Bills with Allen, as their QB's. Neither has distinguished themselves as improving and leading their respective teams, to playoff contention or elite status. That's how I view all the QB's outside of Tua. To be honest I'd rather fill in the rest of the roster with elite players, then swing for the fences on a QB, similar to what KC and Houston did with Mahomes and Watson.
That's a great point. I think Herbert probably falls somewhere between Josh Allen and Carson Wenz. I see Love more as a Dak Prescott type. Of course, it all depends on the coaching staff and how good they are developing talent. Either player in New Orleans, with Sean Payton, would likely be a star. I've seen Love mocked to NO a few times, which would be a great spot for him.

I also love the defensive talent that could be there at #5 overall --- Brown and Simmons specifically. You know Flores would love to have either of those players.

Miami has to get this decision right and, yes, it does feel desperate. They know a top 5 pick may not happen every year, there are two quarterbacks that look elite (Burrow, Tua) and they should be able to get one. I think they have to go for it.

I still have a problem in saying Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway, and Tua in the same sentence

I still have a problem in saying Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway, and Tua in the same sentence
Agree.

Putting a guy who has never played an NFL down, in the same discussion as, arguably, 4 of the top 10, or so QBs all time?

That's fantasy land there.

Good post. Thanks for doing it.

To me, We've been as mediocre as we have for 20+ years because we haven't had a PB QB in 20+ years. It's the most important position. If we can't get a replacement QB in this which is one of the best QB drafts in quite a while with a top five ick, then why would we be certain to do it next year? We can't keep kicking this down the road like getting a QB is some ancillary acquisition. We need to demonstrate conviction, flexibility, and big old clanking cajones and do what tit takes to get whoever Flo and Grier agree is their guy. If it doesn't work out with him, trade him ala Rosen and do it next year again and every year until we get our guy. You can't get blackjack if you don't walk up to the table.
so your business model is to keep drafting qb's? You do know there are 21 other positions that needs to be filled?

Ross isn't getting any younger. He wants us to get as good as we can as fast as we can. I know he said it might take up to three years but he'd love for us to surprise him and do it a lot faster.
Droopy needs to sell the team. Terrible owner

I'm sure that will be the only time that happens though.

I'm pretty sure that's going to apply for 99.9% of quarterbacks for as long as the game exists. I'm just not real sure what you're getting at....

Just that he's nowhere near their caliber. Good kid, unproven commodity, injury prone, not conducive to a long successful career. Anyway not worth 2 #1's and a #2 Period. Maybe #5, maybe... I know you like the kid, I do too, for the right price. Think value.
You are right about the 99.9% though.

Just that he's nowhere near their caliber. Good kid, unproven commodity, injury prone, not conducive to a long successful career. Anyway not worth 2 #1's and a #2 Period. Maybe #5, maybe... I know you like the kid, I do too, for the right price. Think value.

I'm going to disagree with you on it. Not worth two 1sts and a 2nd with Chris Grier doing the picking? Yeah right.

Not worth two 1sts and a 2nd with Ozzie Newsome doing the picking? That's an entirely different discussion.

Who was the last NFL draft prospect that was a proven commodity ? This kid has been to two national champs a very close 2nd in Heisman vote and was one of the most accurate passers in the college game over his time at Bama.

Injury Prone ? He had two ankle sprains and a freak hip injury, is he really any more injury prone than anyone else ? Hell he has stronger ankles than most other pro athletes now.

A franchise QB is worth 2 #1's and a #2 in anyone's book. Ask KC if they regret paying what they had to get Mahomes. Will it cost that much to snag him though, I highly doubt that, I posted an analysis of why in another thread. Anyway we have 5 first rounders in the next 2 years, if there was ever a time to take a risk, this is it. Jaylon Smith is a recent example of speculating to accumulate on a player's talent over an injury issue.

Back
Top Bottom