What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB?

Gonna be a tough sale by the front office if they by pass a QB for a guy you has thrown almost twice as many INTs as TDs and has a 63 passer rating because "he improved in practice"

But we are the dolphins so anything is possible.
He ran the same Patriots offense basically. Gigantic playbook. Easier to run that when you've had the same QB for the last 17+ years.

I mean did he really? My personal opinion was the actual playbook had nothing to do with it. I understand the concepts.

but I do agree with you that if that’s actually the case experience level has a hell of an advantage. I tried to tell folks that relative to tannehill

Can you image if those rumors of us trading with the Redskins at #2 comes to life and we draft......... Chase Young!

Omg the bored would go nuts but Chase Young is a stud who would prob be worth it.

That being said I still want Tua. Trade up to 3 if we must. Get me Tua!
No position player is ever worth a trade up of that magnitude. You only ever do that for a QB.

Miami finally has a chance to get a potential elite quarterback. Why wait another year when you might end up out of range for the top quarterbacks?
I'm on the fence about Herbert and Love being elite QB's. They certainly have talent and moldable skills. But both are no certainty to ever develop beyond what they are now. But they also have a chance to grow into very capable NFL Starting caliber QB's. Tua on the other hand, has the tools to be elite. The problem, as we well know, is his health. As for 2021, on the surface the QB class looks to be better than the offerings the 2020 class has, outside of Tua, if healthy. To me 2020 seems like a year where Miami is being somewhat desperate and it could cost them, in making a bad decision on a QB who needs just a bit too much work. That's the dilemma as I see it. The better prospects are on the defensive side of the ball @ #5.

I'm on the fence about Herbert and Love being elite QB's. They certainly have talent and moldable skills. But both are no certainty to ever develop beyond what they are now. But they also have a chance to grow into very capable NFL Starting caliber QB's. Tua on the other hand, has the tools to be elite. The problem, as we well know, is his health. As for 2021, on the surface the QB class looks to be better than the offerings the 2020 class has, outside of Tua, if healthy. To me 2020 seems like a year where Miami is being somewhat desperate and it could cost them, in making a bad decision on a QB who needs just a bit too much work. That's the dilemma as I see it. The better prospects are on the defensive side of the ball @ #5.
Could be. I agree with you on Herbert and Love. It's a bit of a roll the dice, or how good the coaching staff is in developing players and getting players around the quarterback position.

Tua looks elite and I still think he's the target. Your right about the injury. I think projecting him as a 10+ year starter might be optimistic. Would a team be happy to get an Andrew Luck type of career out of Tua? FIve years of elite play? That's where you weigh Tua's durability against developing lesser talent like Herbert or Love.

The problem with waiting until next year is simply the unknown and all the variables with players. Players get hurt. We've seen that with Tua. Players might not declare, Miami might overachieve and not be able to trade up. What looks like a good quarterback group may not end up there when all is said and done, or the Dolphins may not be able to get one of the top quarterbacks.

Absolutely atrocious if this happened
draft a QB every year until one is found
Grier wouldn’t make the plane ride home

I think the Dolphins will go qb in 2020 and not wait, but I do think Justin Fields is actually the type of qb Ross would fall in love with. Decent size and mobile... can make plays when defense breaks down. If the Dolphins stayed at 5 and missed out on Burrow, Herbert and Tua than I could see them just wait until 2021 and try to land Fields instead of investing in Love, Eason or Frohm.

Last edited:
This has been discussed a little on this board, but I don't think it has ever been as viable as it is now, so it seems it might be worth discussing in more depth. The reality is that the consensus number1 pick was Tua prior to injury,but despite the Tua faithful's ability to write off the injury as relatively inconsequential, it is highly unlikely that it will be viewed the same way by NFL teams. There is always going to be that thought that one hit and it will be over. The risk may not be worth it, and if a trade up is required, the cost may make it undoable.

Burrow had an amazing season, but questions about arm strength and his overall college career performance have some questioning whether it was a single year fluke and not indicative of who the player really is. I am always somewhat leery of fast rising one year wonders, but regardless, the odds of Burrow not being picked 1 overall are slim, and likely put him off the board.

With these guys out of the picture, that leaves a few "second tier" QB's available. As in every draft, these guys will get more and more hype as the draft gets closer and will likely be drafted as reaches. I understand that Herbert is rising and may be a solid prospect, but is he a dynamic winner you really want for the future, or is he just a pick of desperation?

If you are the Dolphins on a multi-year rebuild, why not seriously consider trading down and get a QB next year? Why reach now? From a needs perspective, additional lower picks this draft allow for more value player pickups to shore up the lines, and the team should have plenty of ammo with the new pics gained while trading down to move up to wherever they need next year. There will be at least two or three solid ranked QB's next year, and we know Lawrence looks solid at the least.

The main argument against this will be that waiting is too big of a risk and that Miami will win too many games. I think the counter is that the risk can't be any worse than moving up to draft Tua. Could the targeted QB be injured? Certainly possible, but again, the QB most are in love with this year already is, so I consider that a wash. So what about too many wins? Brady looks to be coming back, Buffalo is getting better, and even the Jets were on a run at the end of the season. Plus, we have a new OC of questionable merit, tons of rookies, and Rosen/Fitz at QB. I don't see a lot of chance for a much better record.

Sorry for the long post, but objectively, shouldn't this at least be a consideration for this team? Is it better to wait and get the guy you really want and have faith in, or to reach and get a guy who through no fault of his own, will be a true unknown?

The Dolphins need to target a QB this year and get him...My opinion is Burrow is a rare bird who should be obtained... but you can’t keep shoving drafting QB’s into the future, scout them and take a shot!

I think the Dolphins will go qb in 2020 and not wait, but I do think Justin Fields is actually the type of qb Ross would fall in love with. Decent size and mobile... can make plays when defense breaks down. If the Dolphins stayed at 5 and missed out on Burrow, Herbert and Tua than I could see them just wait until 2021 and try to land Fields instead of investing in Love, Eason or Frohm.
Love is worth it... evaluators that ignore the surrounding cast are naive in my opinion.

Love is worth it... evaluators that ignore the surrounding cast are naive in my opinion.

I just think if Love and Fields were in the same draft there would be a lot of people who will take Fields over Love. Or let me put it another I believe if you drafted Love in 2020 there's no way in hell you could trade him straight up in 2021 for the rights to a top 5 pick to put you in a position to draft Fields.

I just think if Love and Fields were in the same draft there would be a lot of people who will take Fields over Love. Or let me put it another I believe if you drafted Love in 2020 there's no way in hell you could trade him straight up in 2021 for the rights to a top 5 pick to put you in a position to draft Fields.

look at Loves performance in 2018 when he had a decent team around him...2019 the team was barren and he had to win on his own.

He was on Utah St.... not Ohio St....Fields plays on a loaded team.

look at Loves performance in 2018 when he had a decent team around him...2019 the team was barren and he had to win on his own.

He was on Utah St.... not Ohio St....Fields plays on a loaded team.
I'm have no problem taking a chance on second or third tier qb in the draft like Love or even Jacob Eason. I just don't see him as a good value at 5. That's way too high for a prospect with his boom/bust odds. Love could develope into a NFL starter, but I don't know that he'll ever be a top 10 type qb and in this day and age it seems like fans and teams will look to replace you in 4 or 5 years if you're not an "elite" qb. I think Fields is the better prospect regardless of the talent around him and the popularity/success of Jackson and Watson is going to have a lot of teams looking at a big athletic qb with decent passing numbers.

Last edited:
Absolutely, this guff about setting the franchise back 10 years if we get it wrong is nonsense. Tennessee got it wrong with Mariota and it hasn’t set them back. Good decisions and good coaching will mitigate the wrong pick.

You can replace the QB at any time provided the staff is competent in evaluating said position. KC seemed to understand how to do it. The Eagles managed to win without their #1 overall QB. Tennessee replaced there 1st round pick with a "washed up" 1st round pick. The Steelers somehow tried to win with their 3rd QB. San Fran found a guy outside of the draft. The Seahawks and Cowboys are playing trash since those QBs were taken way outside of round 1.

I won't even mention a team like the Saints or Minny who traded for their super star QB.

I mean this notion of "you can only get an "elite" QB in the top 5 is horseshit. You just need to be shrewd and make your moves count. It doesn't matter if Miami has the 1st overall, 5th overall or 32nd overall, if the guy making the pick is incompetent the pick is too. Grier and Flores are the guys driving this bus and if it's going off the cliff per the norm those two are going to do it regardless of a QB. So for the love of the franchise we all better hope Grier does his job well or it's going to be a long decade.

You know what, **** it.

Arch Manning will be a sophomore in high school next year and looks like he could be better than both his uncles. I say wait until 2026 to draft a QB and go grab Arch Manning,..hopefully by then, with trading back numerous times, we have 15 1st round picks that year.

You know what, (Your mom likes these words. Not sorry) it.

Arch Manning will be a sophomore in high school next year and looks like he could be better than both his uncles. I say wait until 2026 to draft a QB and go grab Arch Manning,..hopefully by then, with trading back numerous times, we have 15 1st round picks that year.
I agree. Maybe to placate a hyper minority of fans who have a problem being decisive maybe we should never fix the QB position. Fiedler has to have a son by now right?

TUA's Contact will be difficult to structure because of his injuries, and the first year will be a wash, so if Miami is looking for someone to put butts in the seats, Herbert most likely will be the pick.

Back
Top Bottom