What is good goal for Tua in 2021. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is good goal for Tua in 2021.

A few points...

With salary cap, injuries, need for winning returns and other pressures, teams do NOT have the luxury of using the "development" and "building" labels to temper expectations for years.

When a team signs a player to a large contract, the expectations are set.

When a team uses a Top 10 pick on a player the expectations are set.

You can't sell players and fans on the notion we are going to use 3-4 years to develop the team and THEN start worrying about championships and playoffs.

Most players on the team won't be here in 3-4 years.

If you assemble talent and use expensive resources to acquire talent, you're trying to win ... Now.

We are still seeing the mindset that building a winning culture takes years of waiting before you judge the outcome.

Expectations are different because fans, players, owners and coaches want immediate success?

You think the coach speak is the truth when they temper the media's expectations to protect a team that is losing?

They why do successful coordinators jump so quickly from Jon to job? You think they have a "team" mentality when they move after 1-3 years?

Every person in the equation wants to win now so they can secure a higher contract, more guaranteed money or a better job.

Stop listening to the "speak"....any successful individual in this industry wants to get more money which is the byproduct of their efforts on the field or in the box within the current season.

So, when you commit to a QB with draft picks, FAs, coaches and scheme....you should not believe the "give it time" crowd. Because anyone that wants to succeed wants to win now

There is real pressure on Tua to not just improve but to take this team to the playoffs and win. This team has been built around him.

And Grier has built in options to move on from Tua if he doesn't show "it" and get results as soon as next draft.

Top 15 QB, game winning drives when needed and a playoff win.

I don't care about stats, the intangibles better arrive and lead us to battling for the AFC crown or Tua is auditioning for a trade partner and his next team.

We are loaded with talent. How many years you think we have with this window? None if we don't win

Needs to convince most people (coaches, players, media, fans) that he's the real deal. playing well and winning games, needs to show he can take over in game like he did at Alabama, I want to see us win games BECAUSE OF HIM.

I don’t start threads very often, but my curiosity is getting the better of me and I wanted to know your opinions.

We’ve had too many threads discussing whether he should be the QB, this thread isn’t about that.

Tua is our QB this season and it’s his second season. His hip isn’t a problem and he’s got an improved set of skill players since his first season.

with the current offence, what do we think is a good second season for Tua? the stats I’m keen to know from you learned guys and gals are (for the regular season)

Percentage pass completion
Passing yards
No of passing TDs

And thanks for taking the time.

You will find a number of us who's goals for TT do NOT include stats. Stats can be influenced by endless factors. First, I hope everyone ignores the 1st 4-6 games, even if Miami goes undefeated. Young, inexperienced team with a number of incoming vets learning a new scheme. New OC(s). And I'd avoid any specifics - TDs, ratio, game-winning drives, W/L.

What I want to see is quicker decisions, fewer mental errors, more confidence. If I see those things, they will translate into completions, wins, accuracy, . . . I know it's fuzzy, but show he belongs, the game isn't to big for him, can keep his cool. If I see everything in this paragraph, I'm happy.

Reactions: dha
There's already been a thread started with this same question by 39wildman. It's titled something like, "what is a good year for tua" or something like that...

EDIT: the name of the thread is... "What is a good goal for Tua in 2021"

I think from my perspective we shouldn’t be expecting the SB.

I was curious from the knowledgeable friends what a second year rookie QB with this current squad should be achieving.

this isn’t a Tua bash thread, I want the lad to make it so I just want to know what kind of stats to expect from his second year with this squad.

there are other threads which discuss what we want in terms of progress in general play. I was hoping for a more statistical view

I think from my perspective we shouldn’t be expecting the SB.

I was curious from the knowledgeable friends what a second year rookie QB with this current squad should be achieving.

this isn’t a Tua bash thread, I want the lad to make it so I just want to know what kind of stats to expect from his second year with this squad.

there are other threads which discuss what we want in terms of progress in general play. I was hoping for a more statistical view
I think this thread fits pretty well in line with the other one already

I would like 8 to 9 games in 2021 on par with his performance last year against the Cardinals. I understand there might be some other average or even poor games at times in 2021. In 2022, I want 11 or 12 games on par with the Cardinals game and for that to become the type of performance we see 75 or 80% of the time going forward.

In general my goal for young players is:

Year 1 show flashes.

Year 2 reach 50/50 where you're showing your best half time.

Year 3 get to the point where your best is on display 75% or 80% of the time and has become more of the norm, where people are more shocked when you have a off game than they are if you have a great one.

Realisticly it might take an extra year before stages 2 and 3 are reached, but my goal would be for Tua to be at stage 2 this season.

Last edited:
14,325 yards
96 TDs
0 Interceptions
4 Ménage-a-trois' with the Fins cheerleaders

100 percent completion percentage, 65 touchdowns, 6000 yards passing, 1200 yards rushing, 20-0 and win the Super Bowl 77-3. Otherwise a bust.

I don't want to set exact numeric goals as others have mentioned but I'd like to see the following types of numbers.

2.5/1 TD to INT ratio minimum

62%+ Completion Percentage since this should be his strength. I also want it with less dump offs. He completed 64% last year but so many were just dump offs its hard for me to view that percentage as indicative of his play.

An average of at around 250 yards per game passing depending how much and how effectively we run the ball. This would have ranked about 16th last year so its not asking a lot in my opinion.

More than anything though I just want him to show he has the arm to use the entire field, make better decisions and show he has a handle on the offensive gameplan.

I'm not asking for elite numbers year two but I want to see progression.

Since I catch a lot 9f heat for my takes on Tua, I wanted to come back here and see if I was being too hard on him. See if he met my expectations and I should ease off. Let's look:

2.5 to 1 TD/INT: 14 TD and 8 INT. Honestly I think 2.5 might be expecting too much year two. I'll take anything better or equal to 2/1 as meeting my expectation. He COULD reach this.

250 yards per game: 214...not really close, but it is a 30 yard per game improvement. I'm not taking this as him meeting my goal but i will concede improvement.

Using the whole field...yes and no. He's attempted it more, had success and failures. I need him to cut down the failures some. Not in terms of completing more but in decision making.

Other relevant stats:

TD% is up by 0.8%
INT% is worse by 0.9%

In other words he's relatively the same passer in that area.

Yards per attempt is up by 0.6 but YPC is actually only up by 0.3.

I'm not sure if more deeper passes in an illusion based on more attempts or if it's actually happening at a slightly higher rate.

Anyway, I'm willing to see how he finishes.

2.5 to 1 TD/INT: 14 TD and 8 INT. Honestly I think 2.5 might be expecting too much year two. I'll take anything better or equal to 2/1 as meeting my expectation. He COULD reach this.

250 yards per game: 214...not really close, but it is a 30 yard per game improvement. I'm not taking this as him meeting my goal but i will concede

Tbf, he's actually averaging 252 a game if you take away the Buffalo game and only give him a half division for the ravens game. So 2141/8.5

Back
Top Bottom