What IS the formula for a Super Bowl team? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What IS the formula for a Super Bowl team?

But yet that same QB pretty much sucked the year before when NE didn't have the players to help him out. He looked like he was done and his last game there was very bad. Then he came to NE and they went and got him more help. That was not the same team that went 7-9 the year before. Now I agree that he mattered but he didn't win alone.
I agree it wasn’t alone, which is why I said QB is 50%.

There's lots of formulas for winning a SB 2015 Broncos did it with a ferocious pass rush and killer secondary, Seahawks did it with an all time secondary and top 5 ground game mixed with good QB play, Chiefs did it with an elite offense spearheaded by a generational talent at QB, Pats with a great defensive minded HC and a GOAT at QB, Ravens did it with an above average QB who got hot at the right time and had one of the best post season runs in NFL history.

Quarterback, coach, pass rush, oline...

Make the playoffs
Finish with a win

There is no other formula, there is a lot of randomness and luck in any playoff game, not 1 recipe, better teams get more chances and eventually win

there is now way that the bugs were a better team then the chiefs… but randomness and luck didn’t go their way as they suffered injury on key positions at the wrong time

As the NFL evolves, and has evolved, the formula and "blueprint", if you will, for what makes a Super Bowl contender is somewhat baffling.

What are the strengths of a team that are considered the reason for their success as a Super Bowl contender? Besides the players, since most NFL teams that are in the top 15 have better to elite players throughout their rosters, what are the x-factors? What formula seems to be consistent, and is Miami in that conversation of contending teams that are close to that formula being complete?

Is it the front office? It's it the coaching staff? Can it be the trainers and strength and conditioning program? Is it the owner? Is it simply the luck of the draw? Is it the rules and officiating of the game evolving to benefit scoring?

Ready?

GO!

To state the obvious, there is guaranteed formula. What increases the odds? Top HC, top 10 QB, top 10 D AND OR top 10 OL, at least average in all phases. Those are the things that can be controlled.

Disagree, there have been plenty of teams that make the Superbowl with mediocre QBs, some have won the Superbowl with mediocre QBs.
I think a great defense is more effective than a top 5 QB.
Disagree.
Need a top flight QB, in modern NFL. What you said is exception to the rule.
Tell me, in last two decades, how many won with top flight QB and how many won with your formula? Facts don't lie.

With respect to what you said about the teams having elitle players on the roster I don’t think it’s true. Besides say the bottom 5 teams, I think the rest of the teams rosters are 85% interchangeable expect for maybe a couple players. Teams don’t have 10 elite players generally. It’s usually about roughly 2 to 4 elite guys per team and the rest is roughly the same level of talent throughout the teams.

The QB position is the X factor.

I think Brady proved that an Elite QB is what it’s about. No way around it. He took pretty much the exact same 7-9 team and won a Super Bowl.

With that said, I would say it’s, 50% Elite QB play and 50% everything else combined.
While I agree that a top QB is usually needed, Brady did not take "pretty much the exact same 7-9 team". Go list the players that came and went in that one year. In fact, not a single person who was on that team the year before scored a single point in that Super Bowl

As the NFL evolves, and has evolved, the formula and "blueprint", if you will, for what makes a Super Bowl contender is somewhat baffling.

What are the strengths of a team that are considered the reason for their success as a Super Bowl contender? Besides the players, since most NFL teams that are in the top 15 have better to elite players throughout their rosters, what are the x-factors? What formula seems to be consistent, and is Miami in that conversation of contending teams that are close to that formula being complete?

Is it the front office? It's it the coaching staff? Can it be the trainers and strength and conditioning program? Is it the owner? Is it simply the luck of the draw? Is it the rules and officiating of the game evolving to benefit scoring?

Ready?

GO!

I think Tom Brady has put to rest any arguments here that aren't 'have a great quarterback.'

Obviously, the quarterback position is more important than ever. That is the starting point. I think you have to have a quarterback who is top third in the league to be in the running.

But in two of the last three super bowls, the winning team didn't allow a touchdown. The defense won the game.

I know Tom Brady has won seven titles, but he was the first quarterback to advance to the super bowl after throwing three interceptions in the conference championship since.....David Woodley.

That was in 1982, a different era for football. As an aside, Richard Todd had five interceptions in that game.

So, the point is you can win with defense. I do think that's harder to sustain, though.

A top quarterback sets you up for long-term success.

Back
Top Bottom