What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around" | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around"

What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around"

Cleveland Browns Record over the last 8 years
YearW-L RecordH.C. CoachQBQBQBDraft SizeQB Drafted
20147-9Mike PettineBrian HoyerBrandon Weeden61-22 Manzell
20153-13"Josh McGownJohnny ManzellConor Shin12
20161-15Hue JacksonCody KesslerRobert Griffin IIIJosh McGown143-93 Kessler
20170-16"Deshone KaiserKevin Hogan102-52 Kaiser
20187-8"Baker MayfieldTyrod Taylor91-1 Mayfield
20196-10Freddie KitchensBaker Mayfield7
202011-5Kevin StefanskiBaker Mayfield7
2021"Baker Mayfield8

If we only look at the last 6 years (2015 to 2020) This is what I see:
1) A losing record for all but 2020, or a 1-5 record for winning seasons.
2) The Browns went through 3 Head coaches (to-date).
3) The Browns went through 10 QB's to get to Baker Mayfield.
4) The Browns had 4 big drafts of 12, 14, 10 and 9 from 2015-2018
5) The Browns drafted 4 QB's over 2014 to 2018 (Manzell Rd#1-pick#22, Kessler Rd#3-pick#93, Kaiser Rd#2-pick#52 and Mayfield Rd#1-Pick#1)

So the Browns turnaround took (at the very least) 6 years, during which they burned thru 3 HC's, 4 drafted QB's and a total of 10 QB's overall.

As of today they have a 1-5 seasonal record where they won more then 1/2 of their games.

We are 3 years into a rebuild with a 1-1 seasonal record where we won more then 1/2 our games.
We have drafted 1 QB who is still considered our best QB.
We are still "working" on our 1st HC.

It is clear BEYOUND QUESTION that we are miles ahead of what Cleveland did to establish their turn around and that is just looking at their last 6 complete seasons. Go back another 10 years and their results are even worse!

If anyone on this board still thinks we need to "start all over again" please identify yourselves" so I can see you get all the "Lemming" points you so justly deserve!

30 years of "experience my **s.

More like 30 years of an experience from where you learned "diddly squat".
One can argue that Cleveland didn’t stick with head coaches or GM’s that weren’t successful during that period, also that their QB wasn’t injury prone.

And, I doubt they had a GM blow a draft the way Miami’s 2020 was! …or free agency for that matter!

One can argue that Cleveland didn’t stick with head coaches or GM’s that weren’t successful during that period, also that their QB wasn’t injury prone.

And, I doubt they had a GM blow a draft the way Miami’s 2020 was! …or free agency for that matter!
Considering how many draft selections they had, I can't imagine anyone making so many bad selections that they "blew the draft". Still that's just my opinion.

When I look at the Browns history since 1999, one thing is certain, they had 3 seasons where they won more games then they lost. Based on that fact, I asked myself the following questions

Was there a coaching problem? - Probably.
Did the coaching problem extend to the second level of the coaching staff?- Possibly.
Was poor coaching to blame for the lack of success of developing their players? - Seems a reasonable probability.

Considering all this, is it fair to say they blew the draft? - I don't think so.

Have you considered this:

Outstanding teams make their QB's look good.
No QB, no mater how good, can routinely carry a team on their back - Ask Payton Manning about his time with the Colts.

I agree a QB cannot " do it on his own". A good example of this is Matthew Stafford, who did not have winning teams at Detroit but is now part of a very solid all around team.
My point is that if the team is reasonably good on offense and defense, outstanding QB play can be the difference maker. For example TB is winning more with Brady than they did with .Winston and Rams winning more with Stafford than they did with Goff.

Cleveland has a lot of talent, but my main question with the Browns is do they have the quarterback?

Baker Mayfield is not top 10 IMO. He's top half of the league, but is that good enough?

Cleveland has a lot of talent, but my main question with the Browns is do they have the quarterback?

Baker Mayfield is not top 10 IMO. He's top half of the league, but is that good enough?
I would much rather have Tua than Mayfield. Mayfield plays behind the best offensive line in the NFL and his running backs average nearly 200 yards a game. In five games this season he has thrown 4 td’s and 2 Ints. If Tua had those stats after 5 games, the anti-Tua crowd would be calling for his head.

I would much rather have Tua than Mayfield. Mayfield plays behind the best offensive line in the NFL and his running backs average nearly 200 yards a game. In five games this season he has thrown 4 td’s and 2 Ints. If Tua had those stats after 5 games, the anti-Tua crowd would be calling for his head.
I do think Tua has the ability to be a top 10 quarterback in the league. And I felt that way when he was at Alabama. So this isn't a homer statement.

Whether or not he reaches that level is dependent upon many factors including health, coaching and talent around him.

I get a Derek Carr vibe from Baker Mayfield.

Last edited:
Considering how many draft selections they had, I can't imagine anyone making so many bad selections that they "blew the draft". Still that's just my opinion.

When I look at the Browns history since 1999, one thing is certain, they had 3 seasons where they won more games then they lost. Based on that fact, I asked myself the following questions

Was there a coaching problem? - Probably.
Did the coaching problem extend to the second level of the coaching staff?- Possibly.
Was poor coaching to blame for the lack of success of developing their players? - Seems a reasonable probability.

Considering all this, is it fair to say they blew the draft? - I don't think so.
I agree…which is why I believe Miami’s dysfunction is the GM and coaching!

I’m not a Baker Mayfield believer either…but you have to stay on the field to be worth anything to your team.

actually Cleveland did. They had 3 first one year about 5 years ago and blew all three. It was year they drafted maziel
Amazing how many teams mess up draft and drafting qb

Think about it.

I bet lions giants Washington bengals all wished they drafted Herbert.

actually Cleveland did. They had 3 first one year about 5 years ago and blew all three. It was year they drafted maziel
Amazing how many teams mess up draft and drafting qb

Think about it.

I bet lions giants Washington bengals all wished they drafted Herbert.
Indeed, and Cleveland changed GM’s after that!

I’d like to pick a team to model after who’s success is finishing about third place in their own division.

but maybe thats just me

Back
Top Bottom