What might the Dolphins do with the 13.6m coming this week | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What might the Dolphins do with the 13.6m coming this week

I wonder if we’d kick the tires on Akiem Hicks. Shouldn’t be expensive.

With Gink playing inside, would they think about bringing Melvin Ingram back?
I have always liked Hicks as a player and a one year vet deal for him would be a great addition that would not hinder the team's abilty to get their young stars extended in the future.

Another OL piece would not bother me although that might wait until teams start releasing veterans and some solid options become available.

I would have said ILB depth but with the talk of AVG getting snaps there he may fill that need.

There is still the possibility of Dalvin Cook as well but I am not sure that makes sense unless it is cheap and short term.

They have to walk the fine line of going for it this year and being able to pay Tua, Waddle, Phillips and Holland down the line as well as extending guys like Wilkins, Williams and Seiler in the shorter term.

Get Cook.
Not sure it would add all that much, TBH.

Not that he hasn't shown to be a capable player, he has. It's a cost/benefit situation. If it's at the right price, it could make sense.

I have no reason to believe McD will stray from the RBBC philosophy, and if that is the case, what is the addition worth? In reality, Cook is no better than what was our production last year, statistically. I do believe statistics need to be taken in context, though.

Bottom line for me, with the addition of Achane, I don't see a Cook signing as being imperative, or worth a multi-year, guaranteed $ contract.

I know you, and others, disagree, but unless our staff have the mindset of giving Cook 80% of the carries/touches, I can't see a big contract offer, and think Cook will get better offers elsewhere.

I also don't buy the premise that Cook would take a lesser contract to play for the Phins, as opposed to elsewhere.

Melvin Ingram and an emergency fund is the way to go, IMO. FA OL doesn't look that appealing and the rest of the Fins roster is pretty stout. Ingram just had a knack of making some big plays throughout a year which is huge in a highly competitive AFC

Not sure it would add all that much, TBH.

Not that he hasn't shown to be a capable player, he has. It's a cost/benefit situation. If it's at the right price, it could make sense.

I have no reason to believe McD will stray from the RBBC philosophy, and if that is the case, what is the addition worth? In reality, Cook is no better than what was our production last year, statistically. I do believe statistics need to be taken in context, though.

Bottom line for me, with the addition of Achane, I don't see a Cook signing as being imperative, or worth a multi-year, guaranteed $ contract.

I know you, and others, disagree, but unless our staff have the mindset of giving Cook 80% of the carries/touches, I can't see a big contract offer, and think Cook will get better offers elsewhere.

I also don't buy the premise that Cook would take a lesser contract to play for the Phins, as opposed to elsewhere.
Cool. I think entirely differently and am pretty much through trying to get you and others on board with it conceptually. We'll either get him or we won't. I want him.

I am not sure that projectiong of $12M is correct, we should have closer to $14M.

The money that we use towards the rookies won't all hit the cap, just the difference between their cap hits and the players they are replacing in the top 51.

My plan for the cap space right now is to see it grow to a bigger number before the season starts.

mtv bar GIF

Cool. I think entirely differently and am pretty much through trying to get you and others on board with it conceptually. We'll either get him or we won't. I want him.

Here's my take.
Just a hypothetical scenario.

4th and goal on the 1
12 seconds on the clock
Down by 5
Mike White is the QB due to unfortunate events.

MM KNOWS he's calling a running play.

You have Mostert
Wilson
Cook

Which RB are you confident will get you that win?

OK, maybe you say all 3.

Let's look at it this.

Which one do you NOT have to draw up a scheme play to ensure the TD?

Which RB can you just hand the ball off to and feel confident will get the TD?

That's the value Cook adds over Mostert and Wilson IMO. Cook makes 3rd and shorts easy decisions for MM.

Mostert and Wilson not so much

May seem like a small thing.

But that alone changes PPG and TOP

Here's my take.
Just a hypothetical scenario.

4th and goal on the 1
12 seconds on the clock
Down by 5
Mike White is the QB due to unfortunate events.

MM KNOWS he's calling a running play.

You have Mostert
Wilson
Cook

Which RB are you confident will get you that win?

OK, maybe you say all 3.

Let's look at it this.

Which one do you NOT have to draw up a scheme play to ensure the TD?

Which RB can you just hand the ball off to and feel confident will get the TD?

That's the value Cook adds over Mostert and Wilson IMO. Cook makes 3rd and shorts easy decisions for MM.

Mostert and Wilson not so much

May seem like a small thing.

But that alone changes PPG and TOP
Factoring in how often you think that specific scenario is likely to occur (it's possible it never occurs), as well as the fact that you are now into the realm of projecting Cook making the score 8 of 10, verses another back making the score 7 of 10 (as an example), what is that truly worth in terms of a contract?

I know one thing, making decisions based on a theoretical scenario like that one is not a good decision making process, overall.

Back
Top Bottom