What players have you guys met ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What players have you guys met ?

Only two I've ever talked to: Crash Jensen at Publix on Kendall Drive and Mark Clayton at Orange Bowl. Got a letter from Dan Marino wishing me well on brain surgery back in 1989 (I have that framed on my wall).

Wes welker
Ronnie brown (snuck into vip practice area after getting a root canal at nova university and he signed my Ronnie brown Jersey)
Daunte culpepper
Kenny vaccaro- I use to play destiny on ps4 with him
Clinton Portis
Lito Shepard
Randy mcMichael
Nick Saban
Travis Daniels
Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs at a Monday night football game in Jacksonville I was in my dress white uniform (navy) they talked to us for a bit then led us on the field was so cool)
Dwayne wade (got his autograph on a ball his rookie year at a meet and great no one was talking to him so I did lol)

NFL
Marino, Scott Mitchell, Steve Young, Randy White, Haloti Ngata (huge), Earl Campbell
NBA
Hakeem Olijuwon, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Bill Russell, Dennis Rodman, Coach Jerry Sloan, Rudy Tomjonovic, David Stern
Boxing
Mohamad Ali, Joe Frazer, Evander Holyfield, Gerry Cooney, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran

The most pleasant two were Olijuwon and Ali.

Dan Marino at the Tahoe celebrity golf tournament was the most prominent.

He wasn’t the friendliest celebrity toward kids asking for autographs when he was playing. Reminded me of how he used to get on his receivers.
I wasnt going to bring it up...but of all the Fins my least favorite real life meet is Marino. He was my idol growing up. I should have never met him. He is one of the nastiest people in real life. He is a 100% facade in public. He really hates that part of the business...
I can't tell you how many times I've seen him yelling at his assistants, stadium workers, fans and even children.

OJ McDuffie. Watched him when he was trying to make the Pen State football team playing in the Blue White game. I caught balls with him at a coaches clinic I went to with my Uncle. I was a teenager and it was right then that I knew, I'd never have a college football career lmfao. McDuffie was the fastest football player I have ever seen on the field and technically he wasn't even that fast for the NFL level.

I'm dating myself here but met:

Vern Den Herder, Manny Fernandez, Bill Stanfill, Tim Foley and Dick Anderson after the '72 season when they flew here to go fishing. I was young but that was something I will always remember.

Met Marino and Duper too but the '72 defensive team was special.
Lot of great memories there. Personally met Duper after a playoff loss to Buffalo, went to the airport and talked for about 10 minutes. Real good guy

In my line of work and being fortunate enough to be in PBC, you run into so many damn players. Im personally friends with a couple of former dolphins (K and TE both live in Jupiter) and actually have met our backup QB several times. They all grew up / went to HS around here.

I'm pretty close with the Elam family. Abram mentions working at a dental office in every NFL bio he has. That was my father's office.

What great stories, mine is pretty lame in comparison.
Troy Drayton.
Troy is from a small town in PA where my dad worked- Steelton. Troy was doing a charity signing there, and I went with my dad, waited in line, and got a Dolphins picture signed, and took a photo with Troy.
I didn't really talk to him much, just did the signing and pic.
I never really had much interest in meeting my favorite athletes. I always fear being disappointed, and I'd just rather they be who they are on TV.

Met Czonka at the Atlanta Airport back in the eighties he had no time to speak with me tho-he was to busy sniffing some airline steward's skirt. Met Dan Marino shortly after he retired at a pool hall-he acted like he was better than all of us-very much in love with his self-another one that was more interested in chasing split tail than being friendly with his fan's. This was in Orlando also met Ricky William's at preseason practice here in Orlando once-He was the only decent player I ever met. Very soft spoken and cordial to anyone he talked to. I am a large man myself and I have to say I was amazed at the size of Ricky. He was one very large hard man for as fast as he was. Towered over me. Do not remember his name anymore but years ago I spent some time with that QB for Redskin's that LT snapped his leg bone. I can say without a doubt I have never met a person more in love with themselves then him. He acted very vain. He was a right pretty boy

Last edited:
Not one I can think of. (Hangs head in shame) But Darell Green did come to our elementary school to tell us to stay off the drugs. Probably should have listened that day a bit better. Wait, what?

Back
Top Bottom