What position will the dolphins take in the 1st round next year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What position will the dolphins take in the 1st round next year?

Blizz I know you!!! Dorsey?? Come on he may not even be the 5th best qb coming out next year!!! I heard Spriggs may be your LT this year. Wow sounds like that could be a concern for you guys.

OL or QB

Depending on how Fiedler does this year. I think they will continue to work on their OL, but go for a QB if Fiedler has a lowsy year.

Late Round QB's

The starting NFL QBs for next year that weren't drafted in the first round are

Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Brett Farve, Jeff Garcia and Rich Gannon and Kordell Stewart (All six pro bowl QBs from last year)
also
Jay Feidler, Gus Ferrotte, Chris Redmen, Trent Green, Drew Brees (or Flutie), whoever starts in Washington (unless Ramsay), Chris Chandler (Chicago?), Rob Johnson/Shaun King, Jake Plummer, Chris Weinkie (spell?), Quincy Carter, Brian Griese, Mark Brunell, Mike Mcmahon(maybe), Aaron Brooks, and Kent Ghrahm.

That's 22 out of 32 starting QB's in the league who were drafted in the first round. The starters drafted in the first round are: Michael Vick, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe, Peyton Manning, Trent Dilfer, Steve Mcnair, Kerry Collins, Tim Couch Daunte Culpepper and Donavan McNabb. Those ten are all good but since first round QB's since 1990 have included Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, Rick Mirer and Dave Brown the first round is clearly a crap shoot. Just like the third round.

OMG!!! a fin fan who knows what he is talking about!!! congrats mls737 for posting something that is worthy of being read!

and.. you guys should go OL next year!

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
OMG!!! a fin fan who knows what he is talking about!!! congrats mls737 for posting something that is worthy of being read!

and.. you guys should go OL next year!
So when are YOU going to post something that is worthy of being read,,,, Moldy ?????:rolleyes: Marino1983

Well, the fact that 22 out of 32 starting QBs weren't taken in the first round is a pretty good indication as to why the QB position league wide is so friggin horrible right now.

There are three QBs in the entire NFL that I would really consider franchise QBs, with one more QB that is close to their level but not quite there yet. Brett Farve, Kurt Warner, and Peyton Manning are clearly the cream of the crop. Donovan McNabb is very close, but he still has some developing as a passer to do before he jumps into that group.

Also, you can look at the history of the Superbowl. Only New England and St. Louis can say that they won a Superbowl with a QB that wasn't taken in the first three rounds of the draft.

I am a strong supporter of drafting a QB high in the draft. You have to be willing to take chances on QBs high in the draft if you really want to get a good one in the long run. Miami hasn't taken a QB high since they took Marino, and as a result, they haven't had anyone that was capable of being the "heir" to his position.

I'll have to check on the QBs we have drafted since Marino.

KB, how can you honestly call Peyton Manning a franchise QB? What BIG GAME has he ever won in his career?

In college, Florida-Tennessee was the Vol's "Super Bowl" every year, and Manning didn't win a single game.

Let him at least even win an NFL playoff game before you annoint him as a great QB.

Is he a good QB? Of course, you'd be a fool to say no. But not winning a single playoff game, on top of those losses in college, and the bad year last year, makes me lean towards Manning just being a good QB.........for now.

Peyton Manning is a QB that makes the offensive players around him better. He reads the field better than any other QB in the league. He can't help it that his team has had a suck butt defense for his entire career, much like Marino had to suffer through in the late 80s to early 90s.

Manning may not be in Marino's and Elways' class, but he is top 3 in the league right now. The only QBs I would take over him are Brett Farve (whom If I had to win a game, this would be my QB) and Kurt Warner (who is the exception to undrafted QBs, not the rule).

QBs, the round, and the year Miami took them:

Dan Marino, 1st round, 1983
Dean May, 4th round, 1984
Jeff Wickersham, 10th round, 1986
Jim Karsatos, 12th round, 1987
Kerwin Bell, 7th round, 1988
Scott Mitchell, 4th round, 1990
Mark Barsotti, 11th round, 1991
John Dutton, 6th round, 1998
Josh Heupel, 6th round, 2001

The gap between 1991 and 1998 is one of the reasons we currently don't have a legitimate starting QB now. Of these QBs, Scott Mitchell was the only one that went on to start in the NFL, with mixed results. Kerwin Bell made his living in an alternate pro league, but he had some back up time in the NFL. No one else even made it in the NFL at any point.

I'm not only a strong supporter of taking a QB high, I'm also a supporter of taking a QB even though you may not need one. If you can get a young QB and develop him to the point that he is lighting up the preseason, you may be able to get a high draft pick for him in a trade.

With the exception of Marino, the lone first rounder on that list.

KB, winners win big games. How bad was his D at Tennessee? He had grea talent around him and still couldn't win the big one.

They were heavily favoured at home against Tennessee, off a 13-3 record and they choked.

Until he wins AT LEAST 1, he CANNOT be called a GREAT QB.

Dan may not have won a SB with that bad defense, but did he at least win a few playoff games along the way?

Back
Top Bottom