What QB does Tua remind you of. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What QB does Tua remind you of.

Accuracy and ball placement are basically the same thing. Is he accurate? Sure he is. He has a live arm and puts the ball on point. Looking off DBs? When? Alabama schemes to narrow the field for him in thirds and halves. If you look at this video from the game against Duke, it's obvious that the field is made "smaller" for him. Even against a very inferior opponent. Quick hitches to one side, rolls to and throws to that side. When he looked to go deep and it wasn't there, he didn't bother looking for a check down. It's all or nothing for him.

I'm not saying Tua isn't a great athlete and an above average COLLEGE QB. I just don't see his skill set transitioning to the NFL. There have been countless great college QBs that have had the same problem. If we draft him (or anyone else) and he does great, I'll be the first to acknowledge being wrong and eat crow.

Kind of a bizarre choice of video to use as an example of how Tua's game doesn't translate well to the pros.

On the second pass on the video to Waddle hit him in stride it would have been picked or Waddle blown up and Tua read it and put it in perfect location for Waddle to make the play.

On the TD pass to Miller his primary is on the right and he he ends up hitting Miller on the left.

His ball placement is uncanny which I think of as different than accuracy. Accuracy to me is whether the QB puts the ball within reach of the WR to make a catch.

Ball placement is the ability to put the ball where the receiver can catch the ball in stride without losing momentum, having to go down to the ground to get it, get vertical to make the catch, etc...Basically putting it right on the numbers, leading the receiver or putting it in a spot where only the receiver can make the catch when need be. As close to perfection a QB can get for ball placement on the plays in that video. The worst ball placement Tua had was perhaps the two handed shovel pass.

One of the most amazing aspects of Tua's arm to me is a fast as his WRs are they never seem to have to slow down to wait on the ball, yet some criticize his arm strength... Lol. I guess some critics think overthrowing WRs is a good skill in the NFL.

Whether Tua looks off safeties I thought was clearly answered on this play.

Last edited:
He plays one half, sometimes on a third, of the field. He has a tendency to eyeball where he is going to throw and he telegraphs his throws. That won't fly in the NFL with the speed in the secondary. He doesn't go through his progressions well at all. He pulls the ball down prematurely a lot and runs. He'll take a lot of unnecessary sacks. Just to name a few things.
Weakkkkkk lol

He's a MUCH better prospect than Russell, the arm talent isn't even close and he's a better athlete as well.

I don't remember much of Steve Young, but Tua has THAT kind of potential, RW is just a game manager who needs an elite defense/run game to truly thrive (last year they had the #1 rushing attack and it still didn't matter come playoff time).

Tua is a special prospect, and that was BEFORE he even arrived in Bama to save Nick Satan from himself (starting Hurts) because apparently having more UA All Americans than the other 3 playoff teams combined that year wasn't quite enough...
I love Tua as well, but Wilson was an elite prospect imo..

I was just thinking of accurate QBs. Tua strikes me as one of the most accurate QBs. Do you think he's of the same level as Mayfield or better or worse?

Better. Mayfield had a tendency in college to be high in tbe middle of the field when moved off the spot/asked to reset his feet.

He reminds me of Kenny Anderson Cincinnati Bengals QB. Way back. That was his Lefty throwing style. Running style is Steve Young. Accuracy is Russell Wilson. But at 6'-0" I am not sure he'll survive in the NFL. We'll see.

Better. Mayfield had a tendency in college to be high in tbe middle of the field when moved off the spot/asked to reset his feet.

Yea but I'd say overall Baker was more accurate, the difficulty of his throws looked tougher. ( Baker was my pick for MVP until Brady got AB)

Oh please. Steve Young spent the better part of a decade 3-5% ahead of the next closest quarterback in competition percentage, while also routinely leading the league in yards per attempt. His efficiency numbers are right there with a Drew Brees --- only two decades earlier, in an era when being that efficient was harder (Young obviously threw a lot less than QBs do now).

I get that this is all fun and games, but let's not bastardize history.

The modern era of football is a bigger cheat code for competition percentage than anything Bill Walsh could draw up. That's why you have to compare people within the era they played in. Steve Young had his flaws, especially when he was young, but he was an absolute marksman, and after he matured a great decision maker.

If the Dolphins draft Tua, and get a Steve Young, that's more than anyone could hope for. Prime Steve Young is a top 3 QB in the NFL right now.

You do understand Youngs prime was about 7 years that's not a huge sample size compared to qb that have been accurate for more than a decade. Young definitely grew as a QB but he had a year with Tampa where he only completed 54 percent of his passes, Bill Walsh's offense changed his career.

I will admit this throw to Owens does put him in the conversation.

I’ve been on record for years saying Steve Young imo is the most dangerous qb I ever see..

Also have been saying early in Tua’s career that young imo is his comparison..

It’s not just cool to say, I think it’s the right one..

Check this out..

Back
Top Bottom