What tactic will Grier use on draft night? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What tactic will Grier use on draft night?

You're supposed to have your priorities in order when you're drafting.
You have your must, your needs and your wants.
Right now your must is playmakers on offense. WR/TE
Your needs are RB/Edge and maybe safety
Your wants, Center.....some will call this a need but I'm not sure yet as Skura has some talent and if he can stay healthy he could cover that need.

Now what will the team do?.......probably the total opposite.

Since you asked, I think:

You're supposed to have your priorities in order when you're drafting. - Agree

You have your must, your needs and your wants (identified). - Agree

Right now our must is playmakers on offense. RB's (our weakest group)

Our need is Center.....I'm not sure yet as Skura has some talent and if he can stay healthy he could cover that need. (the most important change we can make on the OL and in general; an under-rated but extremely important position for now and long-term)

Our wants, CB/Edge and maybe safety (this will depend on the FO's intended trading plans for this year, which are anybody's guess) (I want to see these particular positions skill sets maintained if there are trades made)

Where do we get these guys in the draft? I don't care, just as long as more then 50% of the draft selections turn out to be success stories with the Dolphins.

Now what will the team do?.......probably the total opposite. (I hope not, our new FO has made me happy -so far)

He’ll see what transpires...if 1A) Pitts and 2A) Chase go off the board...he’ll attempt a trade down, in that scenario....if a trade down can’t be found he will pick from amongst Sewell, Waddle, Smith and Parsons!

This makes good sense and accounts for the variables that might affect our trade position.

Grier will make you use Google a lot on draft night because there will be a lot of "who??" going on. Probably won't see an edge or RB we've talked about. Next year, when the D can't get off the field on 3rd downs, and we can't run for 1st downs while you watch ROY names put up highlights, you'll be happy we traded around a lot and stuff like that because Grier is so smart and...

I think the old heads and tails tactic has been a proven one.

tumblr_pwrmn7XLCj1ry46hlo1_400.gif

Grier will make you use Google a lot on draft night because there will be a lot of "who??" going on. Probably won't see an edge or RB we've talked about. Next year, when the D can't get off the field on 3rd downs, and we can't run for 1st downs while you watch ROY names put up highlights, you'll be happy we traded around a lot and stuff like that because Grier is so smart and...
Then again, in another scenario...Grier will take a few names we know, a few we don't, but does take a starting RB (We know), and Edge Rusher (We might or might not know), who though neither get much consideration for ROTY, still play hard, and consistently enough to help the Offensive and Defensive units reach the playoffs.

He’ll see what transpires...if 1A) Pitts and 2A) Chase go off the board...he’ll attempt a trade down, in that scenario....if a trade down can’t be found he will pick from amongst Sewell, Waddle, Smith and Parsons!
This is my feeling also. However I would add Slater.

I mean this is harsh, but at the same time, its hard to really pin down some sort of strategy from his picks so it does feel like darts... Grier has put the Fins in a good position assets wise going foward, great value moves and some bad value moves but Fins are still the chip leaders in that department. BUT, the player picking part of it is all over the place, positional value, BPA, team needs whatever... Does feel like darts.
Agreed. I'm old enough to remember the early years of the franchise. Joe Thomas always said he had an overall draft philosophy and applied it every year. With that that of approach you'll have plenty of blotches and also dependable gems. Look at the 1968 through 1970 drafts. 1968 had Csonka, Dick Anderson and Jim Kiick. Only Csonka was earlier than third round. 1969 had Bill Stanfill, Mercury Morris and Lloyd Mumphord. Only Stanfill was earlier than third round. 1970 was a motherload with Jim Mandich, Tim Foley, Curtis Johnson, Jake Scott and Mike Kolen. Only Mandich was earlier than third round.

It seems to me that Grier relies on subjectivity and tries to win every pick of every round. You can't do it that way. If I were Ross I would be having frequent meetings with Grier regarding what philosophy he intends to employ, and why. Then Ross should stand over Grier's shoulder on every pick. No, Chris, we aren't going to deviate just because the past 10 picks have gone differently than we expected. You described your philosophy for 6 weeks. In this case it applies to that player, correct? Then that's who we are going to pick. Same thing next round and next year.

Have to look a little deeper than that. Some WR's are great bets; some are not. Tier 2 has a couple of great bets, too. Ruggs, for example, was never a Tier 1 guy. Jefferson and Tee Higgins were, though. The NFL just let them fall, because it tends to prioritize the wrong things.
Wide receiver is such a weird position, given that mano a mano aspect. None of the test categories fully apply, although I think jumping translates well. The league thought it was devaluing Metcalf and Higgins via lessens learned from Treadwell, who scored very poorly in some categories equating to a very poor RAS. Then it turns out to be nothing similar because the other two guys do have the competitiveness aspect and also the instinctive ability to body position and box out.

Every year there are a flood of wide receivers entering college with huge ratings. The college recruiting gurus always rave about it. More talent at that position than any other. Seems to me in this era of specialization every NFL team should have someone who specializes in scouting wide receivers, and especially the traits that make a great wide receiver. Really no excuse to be lagging at that position right now. You almost have to go out of your way to do it.

I think there are a few factors the team thinks about.

1. Where we are picking. Early in the draft there is more pressure to pick bpa, as the draft goes on its all about need. Idk what anyone says tho, teams pick based on need almost always.

2. Bad contracts. Who needs to go next year becuase the contract is bad. Jones and mccain come to mind for this years draft.

3. Value of position. Look at the way we are built, our picks went to the oline and QB our money went to CB. Flo obviously likes to pick lineman before skill guys and I think it is easier to hit on a rb or wr in the second round than it is to find an edge rusher or the huge tackle in the first round. I think this year is the year we get the rb and wr just not sure if that happens in the 1st round.

The awesome thing we can all agree on is having the 6,18,36,50 gives us the flexibility to get the job done in almost an order of position. Maybe we do pick a wr in the 1st round we have the ammo!

Back
Top Bottom