What team did you leave to become a Dolphins fan? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What team did you leave to become a Dolphins fan?

Steelers. Born in northwestern PA where there are a tons of idiot Steeler fans. My Dad bucked the trend and was a Browns fan as a teenager with Jim Brown being his favorite player. As I became more aware of his hatred for the Steelers, I decided to find a new team at the age of 9 in 1984.

I couldn’t pick the Browns. They were just too terrible. Dan Marino played for Pitt in college and he was the most amazing NFL QB I had ever laid eyes on. It was a pretty easy choice.

Last edited:
I'm an immigrant that was raised in Miami Dade County. Came to the states in 87 or 88 at 2-3 years old and my 2 older brothers were huge football fans and loved the Dolphins/Marino. I didn't really follow the team closely until the off season in which we traded for Ricky Williams.

For a second team, I liked the Chargers. I liked watching Dan Fouts and his ability to move the football down the field, quickly.

Back in those days, Air Coryell was something to watch.

Cowboy fan all my life, hated Jerry Jones for firing JJ and I swore I would never root for a Switzer lead team so quit football for a few years then followed JJ over to Miami when he resurfaced.

Back in the late 70s growing up in Honolulu you either was a 9ers, Cowboys, Steelers fan. I was a bandwagon Steelers fan till 1982 when Dolphins started growing on me. At the time it was 2 favorite teams then a few years later when Marino lit it up I finally chose the Dolphins over the Steelers.

My Dad was a Packers fan and for awhile growing up so was I.

I recall the legendary playoff game (v San Diego) in Jan 1982 and my curiosity was piqued.

Then, in Sept of 1982, I went to a neighbors house as they had gotten this thing called cable w/ Espn. I recall this kid named Marino playing and was absolutely intrigued.

The legendary draft of '83 was next and the rest is history.

p.s. Not even the Legends of Tomorrow can screw up this sacred timeline

Epilogue - My dad FWIW would eventually rotate between the "local" team (niners, raiders, denver) that was doing the best & ran the WCO.

For a second team, I liked the Chargers. I liked watching Dan Fouts and his ability to move the football down the field, quickly.

Back in those days, Air Coryell was something to watch.
Yep, me too. SD was my second favorite team growing up. Was a big John Jefferson and Wes Chandler fan. But, there was no question who I was rooting for in that '81 playoff game.

Back
Top Bottom