What type of offense should be established? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What type of offense should be established?

Durango2020

Active Roster
Reaction score
Since we are in the offseason it make since that we discuss the upcoming draft AKA our Superbowl.

However, I'd like to have a discussion around what peoples opinion is on the type of offense this team needs to be effective or dominant and help produce wins.

What I mean specifically is, do we want the offense to be more pass oriented (dominant passing game), more run oriented (dominant running game) or balanced (good on both sides)?

I believe most people would prefer the balanced approach but the questions is how far are we from that?

With the draft can we establish a balanced offense and what type of selections would that require?

If we don't have the means for establishing a balanced offense (can't trade down/FA does not work out), do we think it's better to create a passing oriented offense or running oriented offense? And how would we do this?

As an example let us assume FA did not net any worthy additions. In the draft suppose we cannot trade down #3 and the first 2 picks are TL and Fields, then it would be advisable to pick Sewell to bolster the line and with the #18 pick (assuming all tier 1 WR are gone) pick a tier 1 RB and use additional picks to establish a running game with some tier 2/3 WRs to help passing as well. But the strategy here is we will let the running game establish our offense.

Others may disagree with above and say that we focus on receivers (even tier 2) regardless of the scenario and create a passing offense that helps the QB, with less focus on adding value to running.
Note: I am saying less focus, we do still need to help for our running game.

I was just curious others think regarding this?

I favor a balanced attack with a reliable running game from a group of backs and a strong passing game with at least one speed burner as a deep route receiver and a big, dominating receiver for the middle of the field. I look for excellent depth at all the passing positions.

While we are at it, I want to keep our two kickers.

I want to see a significant upgrade to the Center of the line. I've seen too many hikes to Tua that were in his face or below his waist.

I want a Solid QB to back up Tua. A middle rounder or higher if we use the draft or a middle aged vet whos has played on several teams and had many different coordinators. I'm more interested in brains and short to mid range accuracy then anything else.

What makes me a bit nervous is rookie WR’s can take time to develop and we are impatient. I want to build through the draft but I don’t want to go through the pain staking process of listening to how a guy is a bust if he isn’t performing right away. I’d need to double check the stats but I don’t remember Riggs or Juedy lighting it io this year.

The offense I want is run first. Lots of 2 TE sets with versatile TE’s who can spread out based on the looks the defense is giving. I know good luck with that Hahahaha. Takes 2 TE’s complete TE’s. Lots of tempo when I had matchups I wanted so the defense can’t substitute. I think my offense is fantasy land though.

A running offense.
They drafted the QB. He should take care of the passing game. Now they need to fix the running offense and finally get the RBs,

Obviously we all would love a balanced attack 50/50 run/pass. It just rarely works out like that. This offense will depend on what happens in FA and the draft. I believe Flo PREFERS a balanced attack that leans on the defense to win the game. That’s what he WANTS. But I also know Flo wants to win and he’ll do wharever he needs to win.

I think if we’re going to stick with Tua we’re going to HAVE to run the football. His arm strength just won’t allow for 4-5 play drives that end with chunk scoring plays. We need to run the football and allow Tua to play action off that for our big chunk plays. Tua is never going to be able to drop back in the shotgun and just stand and fire quick drags and intermediate in cuts mixed in with the short jerk routes that go for nice yacs like NE did with Brady. Tua can absolutely throw from the pocket but it’s not a good recipe to do it repeatedly bc of his stature. He needs to be on the edges just as much as in the pocket to allow him to see the field.

So I think we’ll see somewhat of a balanced approach depending on our ability to run the football which should improve off of experience alone. Jackson Kindley and Hunt should be much better in 2022 and shouldn’t hit the rookie wall like they did late in the season this year. They’ll be more prepared for a full 16 in 2022. If you add Sewell then that’s just icing on the cake as far as running the football bc he’s an extremely powerful and technically sound run blocker. Add in a new tailback with actual not talent not just pure effort like from Gaskins or Ahmed. That’s not a knock on those guys as they did what they could and the effort was there they just don’t have elite ability.

So for any of you guys that don’t want the sustained 10-12 play drives I think you’ll be disappointed bc I believe this is the direction we’re heading with what we’ve seen from Tua. The draft will tell us how much they believe in Tuas ability to throw the ball down the field.

I'd like to see an RPO offense similar to a Pedersen type.

Back
Top Bottom