What type of offense should be established? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What type of offense should be established?

Since we are in the offseason it make since that we discuss the upcoming draft AKA our Superbowl.

However, I'd like to have a discussion around what peoples opinion is on the type of offense this team needs to be effective or dominant and help produce wins.

What I mean specifically is, do we want the offense to be more pass oriented (dominant passing game), more run oriented (dominant running game) or balanced (good on both sides)?

I believe most people would prefer the balanced approach but the questions is how far are we from that?

With the draft can we establish a balanced offense and what type of selections would that require?

If we don't have the means for establishing a balanced offense (can't trade down/FA does not work out), do we think it's better to create a passing oriented offense or running oriented offense? And how would we do this?

As an example let us assume FA did not net any worthy additions. In the draft suppose we cannot trade down #3 and the first 2 picks are TL and Fields, then it would be advisable to pick Sewell to bolster the line and with the #18 pick (assuming all tier 1 WR are gone) pick a tier 1 RB and use additional picks to establish a running game with some tier 2/3 WRs to help passing as well. But the strategy here is we will let the running game establish our offense.

Others may disagree with above and say that we focus on receivers (even tier 2) regardless of the scenario and create a passing offense that helps the QB, with less focus on adding value to running.
Note: I am saying less focus, we do still need to help for our running game.

I was just curious others think regarding this?
It really depends on the personnel that we bring in. With the team as it currently stands its pretty much a dink and dunk offense and hope the defense holds up. Once we fix the line and get at least an average running back we can then start to think of a decent offense scheme. With the fragile wr we have on the team and porous line we can't run a proper nfl offense.

I like to spread it out. 4 wide, 1 back, greatest show on turf type. You need a RB that can do it all and gazelles at WR.
I think you are going to be disappointed. Flo's philosophy bears zero resemblance to that of Mike Martz.

Marshall Faulk was the engine that drove that offense, and those guys are pretty rare. Like once every quarter century rare.

That’s why I want Kenneth Gainwell in the draft.

That’s why I want Kenneth Gainwell in the draft.
Because he's the next "Faulk"?

How can ppl project a HOF career before a guy plays a single NFL snap? Especially at the RB position.

I mean he had a good season, but still.

Because he can do similar things to Faulk. Gainwell excels as a receiver. He is shifty and makes people miss when running the ball. He is a good blocker in pass protection. Will he be as good as Faulk? Very unlikely, but he is the same style RB.

Get out of here with that. We are looking at QB play alone. I'm done with you.
Lol QB play alone. Why dont you bring some real analysis to herbert's play instead of looking at box scores? I could give you a lesson in how to evaluate him this season if you would like. It will be free of charge too!

Lol QB play alone. Why dont you bring some real analysis to herbert's play instead of looking at box scores? I could give you a lesson in how to evaluate him this season if you would like. It will be free of charge too!
Send me your paypal or cash app info Rob. 😂

Because he can do similar things to Faulk. Gainwell excels as a receiver. He is shifty and makes people miss when running the ball. He is a good blocker in pass protection. Will he be as good as Faulk? Very unlikely, but he is the same style RB.
I will be honest, and tell you straight out that I haven't watched him beyond a few highlights.

From the draft analysis I have read, he does have potential, but his pass pro is questionable, and needs to improve.

Most have him as somewhere between 4th and 7th back taken.

He can block. Watch highlights of 2019 Memphis vs Penn St. He stops Micah Parsons in his tracks

And all them SuperBowl wins.
Great point! Because we've had sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many Super Bowl wins since Marino retired.

Actually, our ONLY Super Bowl wins were when we had another HoF QB named Bob Griese. He was a good QB who scored points ... and we paired him with a great FB who is also in the HoF, Larry Csonka. They both benefitted from multiple OL in the HoF like Larry Little and Jim Langer. Having a great offense with great players has been the only way we've ever won a Super Bowl. Marino and Griese got to Super Bowls ... no other Dolphin team has. (Earl Morrall counts as part of the Griese era, obviously).

Great point! Because we've had sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many Super Bowl wins since Marino retired.

Actually, our ONLY Super Bowl wins were when we had another HoF QB named Bob Griese. He was a good QB who scored points ... and we paired him with a great FB who is also in the HoF, Larry Csonka. They both benefitted from multiple OL in the HoF like Larry Little and Jim Langer. Having a great offense with great players has been the only way we've ever won a Super Bowl. Marino and Griese got to Super Bowls ... no other Dolphin team has. (Earl Morrall counts as part of the Griese era, obviously).
We got there with David Woodley and the Killer B’s defense.

Get out of here with that. We are looking at QB play alone. I'm done with you.
Have to keep in mind that dude was a wr in college (!) and knows his stuff.

Watch out 'cause he'll ask you some twicky questions and demand video evidence

along with affidavits to support any and all opinions he might possibly disagree with.

And we all know he's a maven because no one else around here has ever played football...

:rolleyes:

Good question

I want to hold onto the ball 40 minutes a game and jam the ball down the throats of the AFCE

I want sure death at the expense of a million paper cuts

I want fewer TOs more often than not TOs determine wins and losses

I want a RB on the roster who weighs 230 -235 and can catch out of the backfield

I want a TE who can all 3 downs and doesn’t tip off the D whether it is run or pass

Therefore I am perfectly fine taking Sewell at 3 if a tear down can’t be had
That sounds like the dolphins of the early 70's. I like it and it can still work.

Have things really changed?

Back
Top Bottom