What young quarterback has succeeded…. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What young quarterback has succeeded….

If we can get Tua back to his 2018 (even in 2019 he was on pace to beat these numbers before injury) numbers in college we can win a lot of games. If not then we move on!
*2018AlabamaSECSOQB15245355Acc 69.0 %3966 ydsAY/C 11.2AY/AC 12.8TD 43Int 6

Andrew Luck? OLINE, 2012 his first season

Anthony Castonzo,​

Joe Reitz​

Samson Satele​

Mike McGlynn​

Winston Justice, Luck's running game was a little bit better while going 11-5 his first 3 seasons​

I evaluate Tua based on his skill set and how it meshes with the things a modern NFL QB is asked to do, how I evaluate every player.

I also don't hold Tua blameless for our offense, we are using a lot of his Alabama concepts offensively, so he's basically causing us to run a college offense. Or the staff didn't trust him to run a normal playbook, whatever the case is, the RPO will always be a short passing game offense for the most part. You can take chances, but by its very nature it's not built to exploit the deep intermediate and deep portions of the field in the NFL.

I'm willing to roll with Tua another year though with improvements to coaching and the offense.

I'm not saying he can't succeed, I'm just being honest in how I view his skill set.
I think that’s a perfectly fair way to evaluate him, but I don’t think you (or I, or anyone) has a good read on his ability to sit in the pocket, make post-snap reads, and deliver passes to the intermediate and deep parts of the field because our OL was not capable of providing him that opportunity. And that’s really the most important skill an NFL QB can have. It’d be like evaluating a point guard without having seen him dribble.

Playing QB based almost exclusively on pre-snap reads and short passes against NFL defenses that know what’s coming is virtually impossible. Your margin for error is a matter of inches and split seconds on every pass. But that’s what Tua had to do this season because anything post-snap was worthless—the pocket would be collapsed by the time anyone came open.

I don’t agree that Tua is causing us to run a college offense at all. In my opinion, what’s causing us to run a college offense is the fact that we couldn’t pass block or run the football. There is no NFL offensive scheme that can succeed if you can’t run the ball and can’t pass block. RPO is not inherently a college scheme. RPO is now extremely widespread in the NFL. Even still, we only ran RPO on like a quarter of our snaps. The issue with our offense was us running a ridiculous concept designed to hide our offensive line and inability to run the ball.

Another person completely misrepresenting the argument about Tua.

It's a shame noone here seems to actually understand the positions of others or what they're evaluating. On both sides.
Is there really any argument?

Tua is surviving, and winning more games, with far less then Burrow and Herbert in their 1st two years.

With also less to work with, Tua's first 16 games is better then Josh Allen, Kyle Murray, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning to name a few.

Not much argument there.

So sounds like we're saying here he looks really bad so far but we have great reasons, the absolute best reasons, for why that is.

I agree, he hasn't looked good and the rest of the offense leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully they can clean that up this off-season and we get a true evaluation next year. I'm all for that.

Andrew Luck? OLINE, 2011 his first season

Anthony Castonzo,​

Joe Reitz​

Samson Satele​

Mike McGlynn​

Winston Justice, Luck's running game was a little bit better while going 11-5 his first 3 seasons​

Andrew Luck retired at 29 in large part due to the beating he took behind that garbage offensive line. He was on pace to be a first ballot Hall of Famer and rewrite the record books to that point. Even still, our OL this year was worse than any Luck played behind.

I believe a good QB can make a line look better. Rodgers definitely hasn't always had a great line. Good QB's can read the defense, see what's coming and change blocking schemes, audible to different plays, etc... That comes with time and experience. How do you think Brady always had great lines with bums off the street some years? Now I will say that the line looked better with Tua than Brissett. Maybe someone can check those stats.
You mean like Tua did, still being effective enough to win many games, while having quite a few 100+ QB ratings games this year.

So sounds like we're saying here he looks really bad so far but we have great reasons, the absolute best reasons, for why that is.

I agree, he hasn't looked good and the rest of the offense leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully they can clean that up this off-season and we get a true evaluation next year. I'm all for that.
He hasn’t looked really bad, though. Tua was 15th in the NFL in passer rating this season and went 8-5 in games he started, even despite the awful OL. He had a better passer rating than Tannehill and Lamar Jackson. In fact, he had a better passer rating this season than Tannehill’s combined passer rating for his Dolphins tenure. And again, he’s 23.

Tua has actually made the OL look better at pass pro than they've been. You saw the difference when Tua took over for Brissett. On the other hand, most of the RBs have made the run blocking look worse than it is.

I don't agree with the notion that they don't trust Tua to run a normal playbook. It's fairly obvious that what they don't trust is that the OL can protect long enough, consistently enough to run a normal playbook.

He absolutely did. All you have to do is look at the pressures in comparison with the sack rate, and that is easy to corroborate.

For all the Tua haters here is a cold hard fact. The Dolphins o-line finished last in the league. That’s 32; and the fact that Tua made them almost look like somewhat of a line should be a testament to his ability…….. Mic Drop…….
Burrow's line finished 2nd worst. Mic Drop.

Back
Top Bottom