What's the difference between Moore and Flynn | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's the difference between Moore and Flynn

Moore is just an average backup, who has the added disadvantage of fumbling constantly. Flynn has potential and upside, and our coach knows him. No reason not to pursue him.

Hard to classify Moore as a "journeyman" when he's only got 25 starts... or a better than .500 winning record on behalf of teams those years that won a mere 36.5% of their games. I'd be more likely to call him an "uplifter" rather than a "journeyman." And as far as us seeing his max upside? I don't get it. 12th in the league in QBR, 4th in the league in long ball accuracy going 6-6 for a team that finished 6-10 which could have as easily been 8-4 if not for some Marshall endzone butterfingers. And that's under center for a team with a turnstyle named Columbo!

As to Moore playing well in stretches, well, he did play awful post concussion for the 2-14 Panthers but still he won 50% of their games in 35% of their starts. By comparison, the next season on an upgraded team where Cam Newton and his legs were still his best weapon, Cam started the season 1-5 and then 2-10 before good stuff kicked in. What are the odds that if Cam was a late round pick or UFA, he'd never have made it to 12 starts with that record? Otherwise, every "stretch" Moore played has ranged from better than average to damn good!

Flynn put up 2 impressive games, although Moore's 09 win vs the playoff-bound Vikings was every bit as impressive if not more than Flynn's 2010 loss to NE. No question he's done more with less.

Flynn might turn out to be great and if Philbin wants him, I'm 100% behind that. But that doesn't mean I think he's any better than Moore.. or that he could have come onto our demoralized team with our fans actively rooting for them to lose, without TC reps and do as well as Moore did including winning 6 of the last 9. Flynn's showings for an offensive juggernaut were quite impressive indeed, no doubt, but still, to quote Lord Byron: "Adversity is the first path to Truth" !!

148n6nr-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding Flynn to Moore is like the old Doublemint Gum twins commercial. "Double your pleasure, double your fun."

one big difference that would affect the Dolphins is experience in the WCO. Moore will need time to learn the offense, Flynn would be ready to run it from day one

Moore can't finish games, struggles to pass for 200 yards, fumbles way too much to include losing 3 games with those fumbles, and has a QBR that is very misleading because it does not account for all of his obvious struggles. Bringing in Flynn would be more of a we know what we have or more importatly don't have in Moore. Some on here try to paint a pretty picture on here of Moore but I think the comments made by the owner, GM, new coach, and Brandon Marshall reflect what most of us know....We need a better QB! Moore is not a QB who will even get us close to the playoffs.

Hard to classify Moore as a "journeyman" when he's only got 25 starts... or a better than .500 winning record on behalf of teams those years that won a mere 36.5% of their games. I'd be more likely to call him an "uplifter" rather than a "journeyman." And as far as us seeing his max upside? I don't get it. 12th in the league in QBR, 4th in the league in long ball accuracy going 6-6 for a team that finished 6-10 which could have as easily been 8-4 if not for some Marshall endzone butterfingers. And that's under center for a team with a turnstyle named Columbo!

As to Moore playing well in stretches, well, he did play awful post concussion for the 2-14 Panthers but still he won 50% of their games in 35% of their starts. By comparison, the next season on an upgraded team where Cam Newton and his legs were still his best weapon, Cam started the season 1-5 and then 2-10 before good stuff kicked in. What are the odds that if Cam was a late round pick or UFA, he'd never have made it to 12 starts with that record? Otherwise, every "stretch" Moore played has ranged from better than average to damn good!

Flynn put up 2 impressive games, although Moore's 09 win vs the playoff-bound Vikings was every bit as impressive if not more than Flynn's 2010 loss to NE. No question he's done more with less.

Flynn might turn out to be great and if Philbin wants him, I'm 100% behind that. But that doesn't mean I think he's any better than Moore.. or that he could have come onto our demoralized team with our fans actively rooting for them to lose, without TC reps and do as well as Moore did including winning 6 of the last 9. Flynn's showings for an offensive juggernaut were quite impressive indeed, no doubt, but still, to quote Lord Byron: "Adversity is the first path to Truth" !!

148n6nr-1.jpg

I'm not sure if your post was directed at me but it sounds like statements I made "journeyman"
You could plug in any word you like as far as what you want to call an NFL experienced QB. which I consider Moore more than Flynn.
Basically were in the same boat because Moore is a pleasant upgrade over Henne and the other hasbeens we've been forced to watch over the last many years. I think Moore is and can be a good dependable QB and am glad we still have him. But If there is the potential to get that Franchise type or one who fit's the HC idea of what he is looking for then so be it. I know very little about Flynn and his potential and at this point not having enough insight into Philbins HC abilities feel it's only fair to give him the benefit of doubt.
But I do feel that Flynn should not be handed the position but rather battle it out with Moore and win the starting job... with the hope that he is a better option than the one we have at present..

And truthfully no one in here has a true evaluation on Flynn

You never know for sure until they prove it on the field over a long period of time. But Moore has not shown the potential in his starts that Flynn did in his two starts.

Flynn won a national championship and seems to have much more upside to me than Moore......and I like Moore as a backup.

The difference between the 2 is ball placement and accuracy, I'm not sure Moore can even play in the WCO because of his inaccuracy.

Matt moore- 6'3 205lbs, throws ball with an underhand grip, which hurt his short to intermediate passes accuracy. He doesnt have good feet jn the pocket, isnt a killer, throws a great deep ball but not on a rope. Arm strength average.

Matt flynn- holds ball a little too long, average arm strength, elite accuracy, great feet in pocket, needs to work on high risk throws, and he dips his shoulder on designed rollout passes.

148n6nr-1.jpg

Excellent post Vaark. I am not a Moore fan, but some of these posters really have no clue bashing Moore.
Moore is a caretaker QB, holding the spot until our franchise QB comes in 2013(Barkley or Jones) if Ireland can finally plan ahead.
Flynn is comparable to Moore, but with less starting experience. I think we give the reins to Moore, and if stumbles, hand them over to Flynn. (if he signs). I really do not want to sign him, especially if it is big money. If he signs cheap, then let him earn the job.

Was watching Lombardi on NFL Network last night and he brought up this point. He was stating that if you want to bring another QB to the team that new QB needs to be a big upgrade from Moore. Yet in his opinion Flynn is not that big upgrade. Flynn is only one year younger and their size and skills are similar. The only advantage to Flynn is his experience with Philbin.

I'm on the fence with Flynn and would support the move if Miami makes it because, hey what do I know. However, it makes since to bring in a Tannehill or the kid from Arizona State, both who have different skills and size, plus younger to grow. Play Moore and let our draft pick grow a couple of years so he can learn. Especially if we are truly in a rebuilding movement again.

Your thoughts on the differences between Flynn and Moore.

I am also hoping that they bring in the kid from Arizona State. I think his upside potential is tremendous. Yea, he is raw and needs effective grooming and coaching. Philben and Sherman can handle that.

The difference between the 2 is ball placement and accuracy, I'm not sure Moore can even play in the WCO because of his inaccuracy.
Yeah. Matt Moore tends to put the ball all over the place on the short stuff.

Is it just me or does Moore have terrible pocket presence? He never seems to sense pressure and takes bad sacks. Don't know if this is true of Flynn or not.

Back
Top Bottom