when people talk about marino...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

Wagon Circler said:
What defines the great quarterbacks from the best in the NFL is a ring. Being a quarterback is more than stats. The quarterback is the leader of the team. To be considered as one of the best, a qb has to lead to his team to the big game and win. Runningbacks don't lead teams to championships, so using Barry Sanders as example just doesn't work.
Its all relative to the team concept though; no defense, no running back = no ring. So Trent Dilfer Doug Williams and Terry Bradshaw are better than Marino cause they have rings and better teams around them? I dont get it.

Wagon Circler said:
What defines the great quarterbacks from the best in the NFL is a ring. Being a quarterback is more than stats. The quarterback is the leader of the team. To be considered as one of the best, a qb has to lead to his team to the big game and win. Runningbacks don't lead teams to championships, so using Barry Sanders as example just doesn't work.

What are you maybe 16 years old? Do you remember Jim Kelly? He was 0-4 in the big game but still better than most of the q.b's that have won the ring!
But still not as good as Marino,Kelly had a better team around him.
As far as Buffalo going deep in the playoffs GET A CLUE :ears:
You have a first year starting quarterback :lol: :lol:
You are in a rebuilding mode,even moreso than we are!

Boik14 said:
People who use the ring excuse are idiots. It takes a team to win a title especially in football. Dan Marino did not play defense, he did not play running back. He was, in large part the main reason for our reason for success not a reason for our failures.

No one said it better than this quote i picked up (forget where i found it): "You can talk about championships all you want, but if you were playing football against Satan, down by four points with two minutes left in the game, and your immortal soul was on the line, there's only one person you'd want quarterbacking your team, and that's Daniel Constantine Marino."

The end :)

Gotta love that one!

the QB position in football is diffrent than any other position in football. where greatness is more about "leading your team to SB wins", insted of stats. the best DE ever is based on tackles and sacks. he doesnt need a ring. same with B-Ball players, and baseball players. there stats are what determins who is the best. (though bonds is a steroid freak, and got some very good advice to sit out most of this season after he stopped taking the juice...).

i do think to be the greatest you have to have stats too. you cant just have a ring like T. Dilfer, cus hes a bum. you have to show your skill and greatness, in leading your team to the SB, not just the playoffs. (and by leading i dont simply mean being the QB as many think, you have to be able to put the game on your sholders and win).

this is a very old argument, and im sure you will find a similar thread somewhere on this forum. yall say that the other players on your team HAVE to be a factor, and even the best QB ever cant get it done without help.

i say that the QB position is diffrent. i say that 1 position's greatest player is not only based on stats, though they are a factor, but mainly based on leading your team to a SB win, and his overall dominance. the number of SB wins is not that big a deal eather, IMO, just that you got 1. cus you can win 5 with an awsome team, and not be the best QB ever. but you can win 1 SB with an average team and be called the greatest ever.

thats why dilfer is a bum, and brady is not the best ever eather. i say marino is up there, maybe the 2nd or 3rd best ever. but not the first. he couldnt get it done.

welderpat said:
What are you maybe 16 years old? Do you remember Jim Kelly? He was 0-4 in the big game but still better than most of the q.b's that have won the ring!
But still not as good as Marino,Kelly had a better team around him.
As far as Buffalo going deep in the playoffs GET A CLUE :ears:
You have a first year starting quarterback :lol: :lol:

nice of you to argue a point by simply insulting his team.

BrazForPhins said:
People say that because the best players are unconscious associated to their big glory moments..so,as marino hadn't had one of those, he's kind of forgotten...IMO Montana was not as great as Marino though you'll always remember him leading the Niners to the Superbowls and that will enlight his overall success and abilities..
Marino was great, we know that, and for most of us he is the best of all time, cause he played for the phins and nobody knows better than us how good he was...For an average NFL fan, other teams fans, it will often occur to their minds as Marino, the guy that was amazing, but not amazing enough.
If he had a ring this thought would never cross people's minds and 90% of the NFL fan base would say, Marino was for sure, the best ever to play the game.
:(
Pele was/is the greatest football/soccer player to ever play the game. Not only did he score but he also made the players around him better to win world cups.

The ability to win big games is part of what makes players great. That's why most coaches who were asked if they had to choose a qb who would they want, most of them picked Montana, Elway and Brady :barf: because of their ability to do so. Great passers like Manning and Marino were barely even mentioned.

welderpat said:
What are you maybe 16 years old?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

What are you , 12? :crazy:

Justasportsfan said:
Pele was/is the greatest football/soccer player to ever play the game. Not only did he score but he also made the players around him better to win world cups.

The ability to win big games is part of what makes players great. That's why most coaches who were asked if they had to choose a qb who would they want, most of them picked Montana, Elway and Brady :barf: because of their ability to do so. Great passers like Manning and Marino were barely even mentioned.

what a bunch of $hit....show me this then...show me these quotes or who said this...show me what coaches said this...manning and marino were barely mentioned? :roflmao:

You are a fing moron...seriously i don't even know why i read your posts... :shakeno:

You should stay on Billzone or whatever it is...you don't add anything to this forum...you just come up with $hit that you pulled out of your azz!!!

Go Fins!!!

Sal Lisitano said:
what a bunch of $hit....show me this then...show me these quotes or who said this...show me what coaches said this...manning and marino were barely mentioned? :roflmao:

You are a fing moron...seriously i don't even know why i read your posts... :shakeno:

You should stay on Billzone or whatever it is...you don't add anything to this forum...you just come up with $hit that you pulled out of your azz!!!

Go Fins!!!
watch NFL Network. Do you have it?

Justasportsfan said:
watch NFL Network. Do you have it?

i actually thought that you did bring something to this forum...i did...i read your posts (of course the depths doesn't count) and they were informative and worth reading...especially from a fan of another team.

so far you are right....maybe there is something wrong with Shelton...like you said...no one signed him...yet. But the way you put things is what's funny as hell sometimes.

I'm sorry but everytime I hear a coach or player talk about quarterbacks...Marino is considered one of the best...if not the best...ever.

He did everything he could to win...he never had a dominating...actually he never had an okay running game...the defense was never that great when he was in his prime...he never had all pro recievers...it was always on his shoulders....period.

football is the ultimate team game.

elway would have probably never won 1 if it wasn't for T. Davis.

I may have to stop reading your posts...too bad.

and no i don't have nfl network..

Go Fins!!!

Sal Lisitano said:
and no i don't have nfl network..

Go Fins!!!
AHa! that's the problem. It's better than a link ,you hear it straight from the horses mouth. So before you start calling morons, you might wanna ask for their source first. You end up stcking your foot in your mouth. :rolleyes:

Justasportsfan said:
AHa! that's the problem. It's better than a link ,you hear it straight from the horses mouth. So before you start calling morons, you might wanna ask for their source first. You end up stcking your foot in your mouth. :rolleyes:

well then...it contradicts what I've heard right from the horses mouth in the past.

Sal Lisitano said:
well then...it contradicts what I've heard right from the horses mouth in the past.
When qb's like Brady start popping up and proving they play their best in the biggest game over and over again, great "passers" like Marino and Manning will start fading into the background becuase the goal of the NFL is to win the sb and not break individual records.Was Marino great? Hell yeah, he is the best pure passer that ever was/is. Does he have the ability to win the big one? I guess we'll never know. It's pretty obvious that the coaches based their opinions on what is known and not could've, should've ,would've.

I know you don't want to hear it being that you're a finfan but it is what it is.

finsrule84 said:
Barry Sanders never won a superbowl either, but we don't see people bringing that up

exactly.......Marino was/is the greatest QB of all time... period.

rickysux said:
I was at work today and me and the guys were talking about the greatest players ever in each sport and we got to talking about da man marino and it just ticked me off because everyone was saying ahh if he had won the big game he would be the best qb ever.but they also in the same conversation said barry bonds(no ring yet) was the best and they even metioned karl malone(no ring) as being the best power foward ever why does having a ring in football make you one of the best but not in other sports?winning a ring is a team award not a individual award! marino= greatest qb ever ring or no ring

I think Dan Marino is the best QB of all time and I am a Jet fan so that should tell you something. I think had he not reached a SB then maybe I drop him a notch but big time players at least have to make an appearance in their sports title game. It wasn't Dan's fault that SF was much better or that he never got to another one, he was surrounded w/ medicority his entire career and he won alot. He turned average WRs into great WRs, he was a special player and in my opinion the best of all time.

Back
Top Bottom