when people talk about marino...... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

I read that BruceLee got his a$$ kicked in a bar fight once. I also read that he never entered any kind of tournament. Yet, he's considered (by most) to be the best ever ?

Championships are nice, but they aren't everything.

Scrap said:
I read that BruceLee got his a$$ kicked in a bar fight once. I also read that he never entered any kind of tournament. Yet, he's considered (by most) to be the best ever ?

Championships are nice, but they aren't everything.
Bad comparison. Tournaments in the martial arts means squat. Tons of guys that fight in the UFC get their a$$ kicked in street fights where there are no rules.

Wagon Circler said:
What defines the great quarterbacks from the best in the NFL is a ring. Being a quarterback is more than stats. The quarterback is the leader of the team. To be considered as one of the best, a qb has to lead to his team to the big game and win. Runningbacks don't lead teams to championships, so using Barry Sanders as example just doesn't work.

Terrell Davis carried the Broncos on his back. Elway could not even muster 1 single first down w/o him in the game when TD left w/migrane.

TD returns to spark a "TEAM" to victory not Elway. So a Rb is a big factor. The fear of a runner of TD's ability opens it up for everyone else.

TD one of the greatest seasons ever,Sharpe the greatest TE ever(stats),OL.Rod Smith,Eddie Mac,that D. HMMMM, that great team Elway could not spark wins a game sparked by thr rb and Elway qualifies as better than Marino. Elway had 11 pro bowl seasons out of receiver,and 7 out of Rb. how many did Dan have?

that bar fight was in the Bronx, and was 15 to 1! Who would you place your $$ on as long as it is not a movie?

Elway is not the best comeback QB!

Look at # of oppurtunities to actual comebacks. % is the best factor wouldn't you say. Or is it better to be behind every game and pull it off in the 4th. The fact is he had more oppurtunities , they also include ties in the 4th and go on to win as a come back. Why? you were not trailing!

PHINZONER said:
that bar fight was in the Bronx, and was 15 to 1! Who would you place your $$ on as long as it is not a movie?
Definitely not Eddie Moore.

Boik14 said:
People who use the ring excuse are idiots. It takes a team to win a title especially in football. Dan Marino did not play defense, he did not play running back. He was, in large part the main reason for our reason for success not a reason for our failures.

No one said it better than this quote i picked up (forget where i found it): "You can talk about championships all you want, but if you were playing football against Satan, down by four points with two minutes left in the game, and your immortal soul was on the line, there's only one person you'd want quarterbacking your team, and that's Daniel Constantine Marino."

The end :)

:yeahthat: Totally agree there!!

I read an article done by a journalist and an obvious Montana guy, comparing them. In years89-91&93-95(he was missing 92's NFL score log)he compared Marino,Montana,and Elway.

Of the 95 games JE played they trailed in 52 and won 9 of them. That is a paltry 17%
Figure in ties in the 4th and he was 18/62 that moves him up to what 29%

Joe Montana only had 47 games,yet he led his team to the lead in the 4th 25 of them, and trailed only in 19. He led them back in 10/19 (53%)add ties 3/3(60%)
That makes him twice the Qb of Elway.

Marino had 82 games in that span. Led in 32 games in the 4th and had 5 games where worst pos. was a tie. 45 games trailed in the 4th Dan went 14/42(31%) add ties Dan went 5/5 in those contests' and he is at 19/50 38%

JM 13/22 60%
DM 19/50 38%
JE 18/62 29%

Who is the greatest comeback Qb? Not Elway!

PHINZONER said:
Terrell Davis carried the Broncos on his back. Elway could not even muster 1 single first down w/o him in the game when TD left w/migrane.
QUOTE]
i think that says more about TD as being a great RB.

but i never said Elway was the best eather.

PHINZONER said:
I read an article done by a journalist and an obvious Montana guy, comparing them. In years89-91&93-95(he was missing 92's NFL score log)he compared Marino,Montana,and Elway.

Of the 95 games JE played they trailed in 52 and won 9 of them. That is a paltry 17%
Figure in ties in the 4th and he was 18/62 that moves him up to what 29%

Joe Montana only had 47 games,yet he led his team to the lead in the 4th 25 of them, and trailed only in 19. He led them back in 10/19 (53%)add ties 3/3(60%)
That makes him twice the Qb of Elway.

Marino had 82 games in that span. Led in 32 games in the 4th and had 5 games where worst pos. was a tie. 45 games trailed in the 4th Dan went 14/42(31%) add ties Dan went 5/5 in those contests' and he is at 19/50 38%

JM 13/22 60%
DM 19/50 38%
JE 18/62 29%

Who is the greatest comeback Qb? Not Elway!
Frank Riech is 1/1 = 100% in the greatest comeback game ever :lol:

Wagon Circler said:
What defines the great quarterbacks from the best in the NFL is a ring. Being a quarterback is more than stats. The quarterback is the leader of the team. To be considered as one of the best, a qb has to lead to his team to the big game and win. Runningbacks don't lead teams to championships, so using Barry Sanders as example just doesn't work.

Sounds like you are just denying the truth.

On that same article, the guy figured the avg pts come back and more.

Average Margin Overcame w/ties included

JM 6.1
JE 5.0
DM 6.3

Points Rallied from Behind when achieved victory

Jm 8.1
JE 9.6
DM 12.4

Montana had the largest at 17 points.

Throw out any 18+pts deficits

JM 10/18 55.5% w ties 13/21 62%
JE 9/46 19.6% w ties 18/56 32%
DM 14/34 41.1% w ties 19/39 49%

How many did Reich trail in regular season?
He sucked as bad as a Bill in a Super Bowl!!!!!

Read the thread "Greatest Qb of all Time, Let the facts speak for themselves."

PHINZONER said:
How many did Reich trail in regular season?
He sucked as bad as a Bill in a Super Bowl!!!!!
relax . If you thought I was serious...

Back
Top Bottom