when people talk about marino...... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

Winning a ring is a team accomplishment, but for a team to win it all there are times when the QB has to carry the team. That's what the greats do, but you have to factor in how much of the weight they have to carry. Say you were holding a race among the greatest runners, but the runners had to carry various size barbells while running. You could just say whoever had the fastest time was clearly the best, but if you wanted a fair comparison you would factor in how much weight they had to carry. Of the great QBs on everyone's list, Marino had, by far, the weakest supporting cast. He had to carry the greatest weight. That has to be a factor when determining individual greatness. Ring or no ring he is among the best.

MarinoEqualsGod said:
I'm glad you're finally beginning to see the light. BTW, if Houston wins that game, Miami is playing in the Super Bowl against Washington. :yell: :mad:
what light? The bills didn't cheat. If you say the refs cheated, don't really care :D

LithoMan said:
Dude, its the same idiots that try to say Montana was the best, but the true engineer of the 9'ers in that day and age, was Bill Walsh, PERIOD! .
So Brady :barf: isn't really a good qb because it was BB who was the engineer of their sb wins, PERIOD? :confused:

Boik14 said:
People who use the ring excuse are idiots. It takes a team to win a title especially in football. Dan Marino did not play defense, he did not play running back. He was, in large part the main reason for our reason for success not a reason for our failures.

No one said it better than this quote i picked up (forget where i found it): "You can talk about championships all you want, but if you were playing football against Satan, down by four points with two minutes left in the game, and your immortal soul was on the line, there's only one person you'd want quarterbacking your team, and that's Daniel Constantine Marino."

The end :)

The thread should have ended at post #2.

Justasportsfan said:
So Brady :barf: isn't really a good qb because it was BB who was the engineer of their sb wins, PERIOD? :confused:

No, in NE it is different. Their D is the "QB" of that team. 9'ers was a whole different day and age.

Brady can be riled, and look horrible. When was a SF win not overwhelming? When was a NE win not close?

Witness BB not paying Brady. He knows Brady is a dime a dozen QB. Whats Brady got, as far as qB skills? How many wins came on the backs of the D?

whole different story out in SF in the 80's. Oh ya, I forgot Montana tore it up in KC. Oh, thats right, he was at the end of his career. I forgot. Shottenheimer.....Walsh...... now we are getting the picture!

Lets put the great Brady in Cleveland.....well, under Butch davis...lets put him that Baltimore O, of the last couple seasons, with no receivers, see what he can do. bet Boller does better. ship him on down to Dallas, Miami, lets see what he does after the first couple sacks. See if he doesnt get riled, and start throwing up stupid passes, like he does in NE. he'll be looking like greiseball. oh, another Michigan "great", ROFLMAO!

rickysux said:
I was at work today and me and the guys were talking about the greatest players ever in each sport and we got to talking about da man marino and it just ticked me off because everyone was saying ahh if he had won the big game he would be the best qb ever.but they also in the same conversation said barry bonds(no ring yet) was the best and they even metioned karl malone(no ring) as being the best power foward ever why does having a ring in football make you one of the best but not in other sports?winning a ring is a team award not a individual award! marino= greatest qb ever ring or no ring

I think Marino was simply the best!

I think you can bring up a comparison in order to make an argument:
Manning vs Brady. Brady has the rings, although you may argue (with reason on it) that Manning is a better QB than Brady, Brady had a hole team and coach who helped him winning the ring, while Manning is an outstanding QB, he hadn´t a hole quality team.

Marino was amazing for one simply reason. The entire defense of the other team knew he was going to throw, yet Marino was able to complete pass after pass. There was not an Edge, a L.T., a Roger Craig, an Ahman Green playing RB and therefore keeping the defence guessing. Even us the dolphins fans knew we couldn´t advance via ground game, so there was no other option than Dan the greatest of all time, throwing the ball to all of those good recievers he made look like probowlers!!!!!

SABA-TOOTH said:
imo trent dilfer is alot better... he has won a super bowl...

You cant be serious. :shakeno:

The Ravens won the SB because of their great defense they had and the running game they had. If you think Dilfer is better then Marino then you dont have much football knowledge at all.

Justasportsfan said:

I think what most people are trying to say is Marino came up short not because of talent or ability. He just wasn't in the right situation. I am a Miami fan but, Marino didn't shine because of the coaching staff in place. I know this will com e in some huge bashing but, the truth is the truth Shula although I love him the game passed him by long before he retired and The Dolphin organization wouldn't fire him due to his name and out of respect of a man who gave us the best years as Dolphin fans. Unfortunate to Dan he suffered the downs of it. Unlike Landry when Jerry Jones came in he had no loyality to a man who was the Cowboys and canned him like he was Wanny. If that would have happened with Shula who knows what Marino would have been. I agree with what the Dolphins did and how they handled it. But unfortunate to every happy ending there are some bad endings and that would be no SB ring for Marino.

Name one team that won a Superbowl that ONLY had a great quarterback? There isn't any. Montana's teams had a great defense, solid running game and the best reciever ever in Jerry Rice. Bradshaw had a great running game, probably the best defense ever, and HOF reciever. Elway was the closest, but they had a great running game, solid receivers and a real good defense. Marino never had any help. Never had even a solid running threat, good not great receivers, and typically terrible defenses. Put any other quarterback in that position and none of them would have won a Superbowl either.

Also, for us to be even arguing about him being the best, tells me he was. Would we be mentioning Montana had he not won a bowl?? I think not. How about Bradshaw, no chance. Elway? Maybe, probably the closest to Marino than anyone.

Dan was the greatest with the least around him. You can only carry players so much and we, as fans, wouldn't have enjoyed the success we've had without Marino. To me, it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks....Dan is the BEST.

PhinDude88 said:
You cant be serious. :shakeno:

The Ravens won the SB because of their great defense they had and the running game they had. If you think Dilfer is better then Marino then you dont have much football knowledge at all.

He wasn't. :rolleyes:

FISHFAN44 said:
I think what most people are trying to say is Marino came up short not because of talent or ability. He just wasn't in the right situation. I am a Miami fan but, Marino didn't shine because of the coaching staff in place. I know this will com e in some huge bashing but, the truth is the truth Shula although I love him the game passed him by long before he retired and The Dolphin organization wouldn't fire him due to his name and out of respect of a man who gave us the best years as Dolphin fans. Unfortunate to Dan he suffered the downs of it. Unlike Landry when Jerry Jones came in he had no loyality to a man who was the Cowboys and canned him like he was Wanny. If that would have happened with Shula who knows what Marino would have been. I agree with what the Dolphins did and how they handled it. But unfortunate to every happy ending there are some bad endings and that would be no SB ring for Marino.

I don't think that the game passed Shula by. I just think his supporting coaches weren't as good. Remember we lost both our OC and DC after the "73 SB win. No team has ever overcome that. It will be interesting to see if NE can. Also our drafting was never great. We weren't horrible, but we weren't plucking the gems that the SB teams were. If it wasn't for Marino's availability at our pick our drafting would have been below avg. It was a testament to how good Shula was that we returned to the SB two more times with weak teams, ok assistant and avg. (at best) drafting.

TGall13 said:
Name one team that won a Superbowl that ONLY had a great quarterback? There isn't any. Montana's teams had a great defense, solid running game and the best reciever ever in Jerry Rice. Bradshaw had a great running game, probably the best defense ever, and HOF reciever. Elway was the closest, but they had a great running game, solid receivers and a real good defense. Marino never had any help. Never had even a solid running threat, good not great receivers, and typically terrible defenses. Put any other quarterback in that position and none of them would have won a Superbowl either.

Also, for us to be even arguing about him being the best, tells me he was. Would we be mentioning Montana had he not won a bowl?? I think not. How about Bradshaw, no chance. Elway? Maybe, probably the closest to Marino than anyone.

Dan was the greatest with the least around him. You can only carry players so much and we, as fans, wouldn't have enjoyed the success we've had without Marino. To me, it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks....Dan is the BEST.
I agree that Dan wasn't in the best situation. However, part of the knock on Marino is that he wasn't a natural leader. Meaning, it was all about him. He never accepted responsibility for his mistakes but got in the face of his teamates when they did. He didn't bring out the best in the players that surrounded him. There's no doubt he had the talent, the arm.He isn't IMO a better leader than Montana. The qb position is not just about passing, leadership is an even bigger factor.

Atila said:
im as big a marino fan as most of you and will always consider him MY favorite qb of all time.

but him never winning a superbowl being a factor as to why he isnt considered the greatest is very valid. when you think of the best EVER...wouldnt you expect them to lift their team to greatness too? i mean there is a million reaons for and against this very topic but even in my eyes, i would say that when it came down to it, joe montana is probably my choice for greatest ever followed by dan. i just dont think you can say the best is someone who never achieved the ultimate goal every player strives for and every qb hopes to lead his team to.

so who was the better QB this year manning or brady? again i say QB, not team?

95% of people will say manning of course, then you ask them which is better marino or montana and they will say montana, but thats when you explain to them the difference between manning and brady is the same as marino and montana... as an individual position marino/manning is better than montana/brady, just cause their TEAM didn't win doesn't make their passing skills any less... as a passer as a QB marino is the best...

rafael said:
I don't think that the game passed Shula by. I just think his supporting coaches weren't as good. Remember we lost both our OC and DC after the "73 SB win. No team has ever overcome that. It will be interesting to see if NE can. Also our drafting was never great. We weren't horrible, but we weren't plucking the gems that the SB teams were. If it wasn't for Marino's availability at our pick our drafting would have been below avg. It was a testament to how good Shula was that we returned to the SB two more times with weak teams, ok assistant and avg. (at best) drafting.

I always wonder how many more SB wins we could have got if the CFL wouldnt have started to steal our players in the 70's. I wasn't old enough to remeber back then, but I do know the CFL started to swipe our players. 3 consecutive bowls, winning two, sounds like the Patriots. Perfect season on one of them. Not the Patriots. Patriots would just be runners up.

Back
Top Bottom