when people talk about marino...... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

rafael said:
It wasn't the CFL it was the WFL (World Football Leaue).

Are you sure? I remember watching an old football interview with mercury and zonka. i thought I remebered them heading to canada. Either way, they pilfered our team, and stripped us of possible dynastyism. Gave it to the Steelers. shame.

Wagon Circler said:
I never said a qb can't be great without a ring. All I said was to be considered the best qb of all time you need a ring. Kelly and Marino were a lot better than some qb's that have won the super bowl. They are recognized for being great, but neither have a ring, so they cannot be the best.

Kelly would have been way far from the best even if they'd won the four SBs in a row that the Bills lost.
Super Bowl wins don't make a man great or the best. They make the TEAM great or the best for that particular season. Greatness is being consistently great and even unstoppable for basically your entire career in spite of the fact that the opposing team KNEW what you were going to do and KNEW WHO they had to stop. THAT is GREATNESS and that is Marino.

LithoMan said:
Ya, but it goes back to the knowing what your players can do, and cant do. that is the true genius of a great coach. Not asking to much. Thats why I think Dan would be a great coach. He has the knack or feel for players abilities. Thats what made him a great QB, he never asked to much.
I disagree. Dan could thread that ball anywhere he wanted to. He could make average wr's look like probowlers because of his arms. Doesn't mean he'd make a great coach. Maybe a qb coach but not a HC.

LithoMan said:
So, your run of four consecutive SB's, even without a win, your going to strip your tea of the right of one of the best ever teams assembled? You an idiot, to put it bluntly. I would consider your team of the early 90's one of the best ever. Win or no win.

Some things are meant to be. This is what debate is always about. But, I am like somebody else that said it. Because it is always debated, Marino being the GOAT, it just shows he is. All the other side ever has to says is, "where's his ring?". Thats all they got. Not the yards, not the TD's, not the single season passing TD and yardage marks (until manning this past season on tD's). All you got is "wheres his ring?". LAMEEEEEEEE!! You know it, you just cant admit it to us.

What the f**k are you talking about? I never even mentioned the bills team of the early 90's. I don't know where you are getting this. You're an idiot, to put it bluntly. All I said was Kelly nor Marino can be considered the best qb of all time because neither own a ring. How you came up with what you did boggles me.

Stats aren't everything.

SCall13 said:
Kelly would have been way far from the best even if they'd won the four SBs in a row that the Bills lost.
Super Bowl wins don't make a man great or the best. They make the TEAM great or the best for that particular season. Greatness is being consistently great and even unstoppable for basically your entire career in spite of the fact that the opposing team KNEW what you were going to do and KNEW WHO they had to stop. THAT is GREATNESS and that is Marino.

I disagree. If Kelly had won those four superbowls he would have reached an iconic status.

Who was the RB that was killed, was it Overstreet or Hampton?

Justasportsfan said:
I disagree. Dan could thread that ball anywhere he wanted to. He could make average wr's look like probowlers because of his arms. Doesn't mean he'd make a great coach. Maybe a qb coach but not a HC.

Why, because being branded the GOAT of QB's, you cant be anything more then a QB coach? You mistake abilities with mental aptitude. his skill is what got the ball the the receiver, but his mind made him throw to the right receiver, that he knew would catch the ball he was going to throw. Its all back to that knowing the abilites of your players.

True, he had great skill, but he also has a great mind for the game. I would like to see Dan be handed the reins, as far as HC and GM. I would like to see what he could do. I think he would do great. Scheming, probably would need some help, but what HC pretty much doesnt have a OC and DC and STC anymore.

I think his mind would be best for getting the most talented players on this team and pointing the team in the right direction. He disected opponents and knew how to make the most out of his players. That shows preparedness and intuition.

Maybe its just me, but thats how I feel.

Wagon Circler said:
What the f**k are you talking about? I never even mentioned the bills team of the early 90's. I don't know where you are getting this. You're an idiot, to put it bluntly. All I said was Kelly nor Marino can be considered the best qb of all time because neither own a ring. How you came up with what you did boggles me.

Stats aren't everything.

Hey, you equated a ring with greatness. So, your teams of the early 90's aren't all that special then. I cant help it, that what you are equating to Marino and Kelly. No ring, no glory.

Wagon Circler said:
I disagree. If Kelly had won those four superbowls he would have reached an iconic status.

I doubt it.
Off subject, Kelly was a sissy. He gave up when the going got tough. Ever notice that when things weren't going their way or they started getting blown out, Kelly would mysteriously and conveniently get hurt? A good example is when Frank Reich (sp?) brought Buffalo back against Houston. When the Bills were getting spanked Kelly pretended to be hurt and was taken out. But, if I'm not mistaking, he was just fine the next week. Then when they started getting spanked in the SB again, he got hurt again. There was a pattern to it.

rafael said:
Many great coaches fail to replace their assistants. This is a failing. I just don't see it as evidence of the game passing him by. The Xs and Os he still understood. He adapted with the game. He just wasn't good enough at selecting coaches and players (since Beathard left).

Your just toying with me right. Wasn't good enough at selecting coaches and players. Isn't that his job. Who selects the players. Coaches and scouts and who hires the scouts the head coach.

SCall13 said:
I doubt it.
Off subject, Kelly was a sissy. He gave up when the going got tough. Ever notice that when things weren't going their way or they started getting blown out, Kelly would mysteriously and conveniently get hurt? A good example is when Frank Reich (sp?) brought Buffalo back against Houston. When the Bills were getting spanked Kelly pretended to be hurt and was taken out. But, if I'm not mistaking, he was just fine the next week. Then when they started getting spanked in the SB again, he got hurt again. There was a pattern to it.
Haha! Considered one of the toughest qb's ever and you call him a sissy. Don't let your hatred for the bills make you come up with stupid statements. :shakeno:

LithoMan said:
Hey, you equated a ring with greatness. So, your teams of the early 90's aren't all that special then. I cant help it, that what you are equating to Marino and Kelly. No ring, no glory.

You are still missing the point. The best qb of all time isn't measured by just stats. You can still be great and have glory, but you cannot be the best qb of all time without the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom