Where Did Brian Flores Rank On Your List Of Available/hired Hcs? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Did Brian Flores Rank On Your List Of Available/hired Hcs?

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Of the Hcs hired and/or available including Flores, rank your order of preference and why?

For me:
1. Fangio – track record of success and plenty of respect as a defensive mastermind. He’s worked over the years with both good and bad Hcs and likely is afforded the perspective to understand what works and what doesn’t

2. Flores – for all the reasons discussed ad nauseum, including right age, high character and winners mindset

3. Arians – proven offensive maven but essentially quit on AZ, possibly has lost a step or 2 with age and has had some severe health issues that could interfere with continuity

4. Rizzi – good soldier who got some results but also had some failures. Very enthusiastic and enthusiastically endorsed by most players who overlapped with him on the Phins. Deserved a chance, and certainly more than the phony interview opportunity afforded him.

5. McCarthy – unenthusiastically because he’s resting on ancient laurels and had only limited success with one of the all time great Qbs. Also another HC who would insist on calling his own previously unimpressive plays

6. Richard – my first choice but was concerned that his “intensity” was a Mike Singletary vibe turnoff. However, I’d have preferred him until I read that he was likely to use our offer as leverage with Jerry Jones for $$ and assurances, so **** him.

7. Matt Fleur His 1 year as Titans OC was unimpressive. His previous year as OC under Sean McVay conjures up questions why he left for TN. True he was Matt Ryans QC coach but really with Aaron Rodgers, that favorable ability is the least of GB’s needs. At least he has pro experience in responsible capacities

8. Kliff Kingsbury He was fired for a losing 3 year record for a 2nd tier college and IMO the OC at USC would have been a career step up. I give him little credit for coaching Mahomes, a transformational talent I’m sure many other college coaches could have also brought the best in him out of (probably not Sherman though LOL)

9. Zac Taylor another “works with McVay” beneficiary as Goff’s QB coach. IMO he gets credit for the work McVay did to turn around Goff, is barely qualified to be a HC and then again there’s always the danger of him bringing his father in law into the organization – which to me is even more dreaded than Gase & Joe Vitt.

10. Others including Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan and other mostly retreads.

Yours?

I originally thought the goal was to get better, so that was my error. The goal is obviously not that but to be a bad team, so we have to look at the hiring with that in mind. I'm not sure Flores is even at the top of the list for that goal.

Nonetheless, originally, with the goal of becoming a great team in mind, I had:

1. Urban Meyer.

2. Second tier, back up plan: McCarthy, Marvin Lewis, Caldwell, any previous head coach with tons of experience.

3. Nobody: first time coaches, trainees not allowed.

In the end, it's a mishmash of goals and hirings. It's a proverbial box of chocolates, you never know what we'll get.

Only ahead of Dennis Allen. I've been wrong many times and hope this is one of those situations. I've warmed to him since then as he does sound like a disciplinarian.

Honestly it was between him Richard and Fangio for me. I wanted to look at Eberflus from Indy but no big deal. Really wasnt impressed with the retreads. Had John Harbaugh been an option that would have intrigued me but I think based on wanting to rebuild from the ground up the right decision was made

Flores was unranked on my list. My top candidate was Arians and after that Richards, Fangio and Bienemy in no particular order.

I couldn't care less to be honest. The thing I'm way more concerned about is someone young enough that if they worked out, we would finally have long term coaching and FO stability.

There have only been a handful of coaches that have been successful on multiple teams, let alone on back to back coaching gigs, so getting a great coach is a lottery ticket win that requires several things to come together at the same time: They have to be available when you want them, they have to want you at the same time you want them, they have to be on the exact same page as the GM since despite the coach having a bigger impact they work for the GM, and finally the team has to draft and FA well.

Given the above, I'm ok with a young and inexperience coach needing a year or three to learn because we reached a little to get him before he became obvious to everyone else.

Check in with me in three years and I'll be happy to say "I'm happy" or "fire the dude and try again". But to be clear: Only one of those two responses are acceptable. The last thing I want is a "getting us to the first round and out" coach who's merely good enough, but can't raise his game to become a great coach.

Wasnt even on my list because **** the Patriots... That is why.

Truthfully the hire has grown on me... and I look forward to seeing someone of hispanic origins trying to make an impact on this community for the first time ever as a headcoach.

Back
Top Bottom