Where the Miami Dolphins stand on offense, what’s ahead and who’s at risk of being cut | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where the Miami Dolphins stand on offense, what’s ahead and who’s at risk of being cut

Rosen is due 2M in 2020 and 2.8M in 2021. Ridiculously cheap and fully guaranteed. Are his haters going to be sad, upset, pissed or bewildered when he is on our opening day roster?
He is better than Rudock and therefore he certainly should be on the roster unless they trade him. Cutting Rosen makes no sense at all. I would actually prefer they cut Fitzpatrick and start Rosen until the rookie is ready to play but I guess winning 5 or 6 games with Fitzpatrick as the starting QB in 2020 is where we are headed.

Just because you drafted a QB, doesn't mean he can also "light it up". In fact, history would indicate it is around 50/50 with first rounders.

You would automatically trade a lighting it up, for an unknown, and as yet unseen quantity?

I realize this is a hypothetical, but emotions are better left out of rational decision making.

Emotions are involved in Rosen starting in the 2nd/3rd year of the #3 or #5 pick's contract. My decision is purely a business decision based on the recent development of players under Flores and the sustainability of prime draft capital (rds 1-3).

Its not about learning and smarts when it comes to Rosen and strong arm. Its about leadership, toughness, accuracy from the pocket with people in your face. You don't learn leadership and toughness. Having said that Id rather keep Rosen then draft Hebert and similar player.

Its not about learning and smarts when it comes to Rosen and strong arm. Its about leadership, toughness, accuracy from the pocket with people in your face. You don't learn leadership and toughness. Having said that Id rather keep Rosen then draft Hebert and similar player.
I disagree with the premise that leadership can not be aquired, though the term "learned" may not be appropriate.

Leadership comes in different forms. I can tell you for a fact that leadership and discipline are closely intertwined.

Go through Marine Corp boot camp and, if you finish, tell me you are not a better leader.

I also don't recall anyone saying Rosen lacked "toughness".

I'm not saying he will become a leader of men, but to say a person can't eliminate personal flaws is wrong. JMO

This kid really needs snaps in order to see what we REALLY have with this kid before we give up on him. I know that everybody wants to play with the incoming shiny new toy when he may already be right under our nose.........

Don't disagree, but first he has to EARN the snaps. No one knows how Flo/staff see him. He may already be penciled in as the RF backup. He may not.

I have always said i want to see Rosen behind a solid OL before i make up my mind on him.

I am not saying I am confident he would prosper, but I want to see him really given a chance.

And with Fitzpatrick's history I think he will get one this year.

Keeping Ballage would just be taking snaps away from more deserving players

I think fans are quick to dismiss Ballage due to his poor 2019 season, but remeber from a coaching standpoint they saw something that suggested he should be the starter last season. It's rare that a player drops from the top of the depth chart to off the chart all together that quickly unless there's off the field issues. I think he's far from a lock to make the roster, but I wouldn't be shocked if he enetered camp ahead of Gaskin or Laird on the depth chart. I could easily see him ahead of Turner or Perine at this point, although Perine could rise up the depth chart in training camp.

In Ballage's case a coach will ask "Was last year a case of us overrating his ability/potential or did we do a bad job of putting him in a position to succed?" If the thought is part of Ballage's issues was due to the oline and offense scheme thanthey might want to give him another look to see what he looks like in 2020. Remember in 2018, in a brief role, Ballage looked better than he did last year.

Last edited:
I think fans are quick to dismiss Ballage due to his poor 2019 season, but remeber from a coaching standpoint they saw something that suggested he should be the starter last season. It's rare that a player drops from the top of the depth chart to off the chart all together that quickly unless there's off the field issues. I think he's far from a lock to make the roster, but I wouldn't be shocked if he enetered camp ahead of Gaskin or Laird on the depth chart. I could easily see him ahead of Turner or Perine at this point, although Perine could rise up the depth chart in training camp.
I think the primary reason he was the starter after the trade was that tge staff felt he was the best option for pass pro. Let's face it, there was no proven, quality backs on the roster.

He is probably a bubble guy at this point, and it may come down to his value on special teams.

I think the primary reason he was the starter after the trade was that tge staff felt he was the best option for pass pro. Let's face it, there was no proven, quality backs on the roster.

He is probably a bubble guy at this point, and it may come down to his value on special teams.

While I agree he should be a bubble player this season, I think the staff had a higher opinion of him last season. Remembr they were pushing for him to start even when Drake was still here. Right now I see him battling with Laird, Gaskins and maybe Perine for the final rb roster spot.

In Ballage's case a coach will ask "Was last year a case of us overrating his ability/potential or did we do a bad job of putting him in a position to succed?" If the thought is part of Ballage's issues was due to the oline and offense scheme thanthey might want to give him another look to see what he looks like in 2020. Remember in 2018, in a brief role, Ballage looked better than he did last year.
Either he can see the holes and react or he can't, unfortunately, he can't.

QB - Tua Tagovailoa has to be the target and the Dolphins will carry 3 QB's on the roster this year QB Ryan Fitzpatrick who will start at QB Tua depending on where he is in rehab and QB Josh Rosen will all be on the roster - Rosen could be backup Fitz if Tua needs time to heal don't believe what his camp is saying that he is ready to rock and roll and the Dolphin will play Rosen some to increase his trade value if the offensive line develops to something reasonably good. Very good chance Tua could slip to the Dolphins at 5 or the cost of moving to 3 wouldn't be much say pick 56 or even 70, thanks to the coronavirus.

RB - JK Dobbins at 39 sounds nice to me if he is gone then Cam Akers both are good in the 3 phases run pass block , possibly adding another back with 1 of the 3 5th round picks and even adding UDF RB, only guy safe here is Jordan Howard the rest could find there way to the practice squad or cut, wouldn't surprise me one bit if all of the RB in 2020 are new to us.

WR - I've heard the Dolphins won't take a WR in the top 2 rounds and it sounds absurd to me, looking at the SI mock version 2 at pick 18 we are mocked S Xavier McKinney which looks like a safe pick to me, Justin Jefferson or Denzil Mims both starters would be my pick for a few reasons 1. it would allow us to trade Albert Wilson for a 4th or 5th round pick 2. safe 9 mil off cap 3. he would provide insurance for Preston Williams who is recovering from knee surgery plus I am not sure McKinney is worth pick 18 and like Antonie Winfield Jr even with his injury history and size has far superior instincts and can be had in the 2nd round.

This also brings up another problem at 18 with the OT in dire need for Miami, do we over draft Josh Jones there even if he is not starter ready, do we try to move pick 18 up and give up a 2nd rounder to land Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs who I believe is a guard possibly an all pro? Even if we grab 2 2nd tier guys and a couple more 3rd tier guys this offensive line is going to leak like a sieve until we gets these guys up to speed in maybe 2 years, that's assuming we pick the right ones.

Again at 26 we face a similar dilemma OT Josh Jones who may need some time to develop as a starting LT or a starting LB like Kenneth Murray who may be able to start immediately, we may have to bite the bullet here and take Jones, offensive lineman are in vogue even ones who need to develop.

Saving grace if you can call him that is Trent Williams and there 2 problems here 1. Washington wants a 2nd round pick at 32 that not reasonable 4th is more like it. 2. Williams wants to much money 18-20 mil and Dolphins won't pay that maybe 16 mil for 3 years with 2 yr guarantee. Dolphin have created problems on their offense line that could take 2 to 3 years to correct.

He makes terrible decisions when the ball is in the hand, has no upper body strength and often goes down on first contact or turns his back to the defender closing in.

While I agree he should be a bubble player this season, I think the staff had a higher opinion of him last season. Remembr they were pushing for him to start even when Drake was still here. Right now I see him battling with Laird, Gaskins and maybe Perine for the final rb roster spot.
I guess it might also depend on the draft. If we take 1 RB, he could probably survive the Turk. If we draft 2, it becomes a numbers game.

The OL wasn't great as we all know but even Laird got some yards behind it while Ballage would always run into his Olinemen.

Back
Top Bottom