Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep they were a good team. The story I’ve read a few times is that they all wanted him to go for the record and he didn’t want to do it - which really does fit his persona.
He was the guy when I 1st started following the Dolphins. Probly wouldn't have been a fan without him along with Warfield, Csonka, etc. Not to mention the no name defense

The "field general" thing is dead even in my opinion or that Dan even gets the slight nod.

Dan had 33 forth quarter comebacks which was a record at one point. Bob had 15 over his career. That also needs to be considered in the "field general" category.

Dan had the better individual career
Bob had the better team career.

If Shula had run the team like he did with Bob, Dan would have at least won a Superbowl (I can't say multiple simply due to the fact that it takes so much including luck to get to multiple Superbowls).

Dead even? Bob was the offensive coordinator on the field calling all plays, much more cerebral on the field than Dan. Dan had to comeback in games much more often than Bob being that the Dolphins were a dominant team in that era.

Yeah that was a horrible take. Average was a terrible word to use for Griese, that was the Kentucky bourbon barrel ale typing. Good thing my dad isn't on here, he'd slap me. :lol:

With that being said, I think I was just trying to convey that gap in talent I see between the two.

Griese threw 7 passes against the Vikings in Super Bowl VIII. It's similar in the other big games too. '72 AFC championship he entered the game and threw 5 times for 3 completions. One being the big 52 yard pass to Warfield. Against Stabler in the '73 championship game he had 6 passing attempts for 3 completions and 1 interception. None of those big playoff wins for Miami was he a major deciding factor.

I see him as a great game manager who could run that particular style offense at an elite level. The team was built perfect for him. The Dolphins had one of the greatest rushing attacks the NFL has ever seen, while also fielding one of the greatest defenses of all time.

Both had amazing careers as proven by the gold jackets they wear. Marinos' career was just head and shoulders above Grieses IMO, and that's not an insult. Dan is one of the GOATs of the NFL across it's entire history regardless of position.

Griese only threw that many times in those games because that’s all that was needed to easily win those games. The man could throw as much as he was required too. Look at the completion percentage in those Super Bowl wins!

Csonka would of kick Marino butt when he changed a run play to a pass play. Marino would never fit in 1971-73 teams because of his selfishness. Plus Marino choked in big games. Remember AFC Championship Game against the Patriots at home after beating them twice during the regular season. (1985) With Marino, Shula would have 0 Super Bowl wins.

Csonka would of kick Marino butt when he changed a run play to a pass play. Marino would never fit in 1971-73 teams because of his selfishness. Plus Marino choked in big games. Remember AFC Championship Game against the Patriots at home after beating them twice during the regular season. (1985) With Marino, Shula would have 0 Super Bowl wins.

A most disappointing game for sure, last game at the Orange Bowl too.

We seemed to match up well with the Bears that year…Dan might have gotten that ring…..

Griese only threw that many times in those games because that’s all that was needed to easily win those games. The man could throw as much as he was required too. Look at the completion percentage in those Super Bowl wins!
Yep - everyone seems to forget he was near perfect in those games. The TD to Twilley was a beauty too. The he only handed the ball off narrative is annoying. Look at ‘77 when he led the league in passing.

It’s a “recently” thing. Some day people will look back and try to tell fans on here that Tannehill was about as good as Marino based on QBR etc. Griese was not underrated by his peers and his opponent - but by his own fan base from later generations - yes.

Yep - everyone seems to forget he was near perfect in those games. The TD to Twilley was a beauty too. The he only handed the ball off narrative is annoying. Look at ‘77 when he led the league in passing.

It’s a “recently” thing. Some day people will look back and try to tell fans on here that Tannehill was about as good as Marino based on QBR etc. Griese was not underrated by his peers and his opponent - but by his own fan base from later generations - yes.
If you never saw Griese play and just looked at his stats it would be ho hum by today's standards. Same with all the top quarterbacks from the 1970's.

But Griese only trailed Tarkenton and Staubach for QBR during that time period. He was ahead of Stabler, Bradshaw and Namath. Griese won games similarly to what we have often seen by Tom Brady, by being patient and efficient.

Brady has done it with the short passing game, today's equivalent of the running game. He will stick with that 3-5 yard pass all game long if it's working.

In 1972, both Csonka and Morris averaged more than 5 yards a carry. Griese kept feeding them the ball, hitting some key throws along the way. That was the right approach.

Not sure how Griese would be in today's game, or how Marino would have been in the 1970's. But both were among the best of their era's.

Greise - ORoY, 8 pro-bowls, 2 all-pro (2 1st team), 1 OPoY
Marino - MVP, 9 pro-bowls, 6 all-pro (3 1st team, 3 2nd team), 1 OPoY

Both pretty stellar…if you’re going by individual accomplishments, which was the OP’s question, it’s an easy answer.

I would like to point out that teams ran the Ball more often during the Era that Griese played. We happen to be one the fewer teams that threw the ball in the air as often as we did when Dan Marino came out. In other words, you can say that Dan Marino was among the first pass heavy qb's that the league has ever seen.

If we want to put things in a bigger perspective, Bob Griese made no more than 355 passing attempts in a season as a qb in the league. Tom Brady averaged double that amount easily, and almost 800 passing attempts last season at 710. Now, was it just Griese throwing that many times? Well, Bradshaw averaged almost about the same as Griese in passing attempts except for a few seasons where the Steelers were passing a lot.

If you never saw Griese play and just looked at his stats it would be ho hum by today's standards. Same with all the top quarterbacks from the 1970's.

But Griese only trailed Tarkenton and Staubach for QBR during that time period. He was ahead of Stabler, Bradshaw and Namath. Griese won games similarly to what we have often seen by Tom Brady, by being patient and efficient.

Brady has done it with the short passing game, today's equivalent of the running game. He will stick with that 3-5 yard pass all game long if it's working.

In 1972, both Csonka and Morris averaged more than 5 yards a carry. Griese kept feeding them the ball, hitting some key throws along the way. That was the right approach.

Not sure how Griese would be in today's game, or how Marino would have been in the 1970's. But both were among the best of their era's.
Love this take. Spot on.

I would like to point out that teams ran the Ball more often during the Era that Griese played. We happen to be one the fewer teams that threw the ball in the air as often as we did when Dan Marino came out. In other words, you can say that Dan Marino was among the first pass heavy qb's that the league has ever seen.

If we want to put things in a bigger perspective, Bob Griese made no more than 355 passing attempts in a season as a qb in the league. Tom Brady averaged double that amount easily, and almost 800 passing attempts last season at 710. Now, was it just Griese throwing that many times? Well, Bradshaw averaged almost about the same as Griese in passing attempts except for a few seasons where the Steelers were passing a lot.
Yep teams didn’t throw as much - passing favored defenses. Just look at all the HOF QBs ratings from that era. I think Unitas is a 77 or something. Same w Bradshaw (on the 158 point scale). The greatest QBs didn’t come anywhere near doing better than 1.5:1 TDs to picks. Once in a while you’d get a. 2:1. But not like today where it’s obscene.

That’s what annoys me, I hate to see Bob so disrespected by his own fan base that don’t truly understand how drastically they’ve changed the rules of the game or what a great QB he truly was. How he actually performed the offensive coordinator duties on the field calling his own plays, not just having audible power (like Marino for example)!

The ironic thing is….I’ve noticed a disrespect in general from NFL fans not only towards the great QB’s of the 70’s….but even understanding how incredible Marino’s numbers were in his era now that the rules and protection of the QB has changed so drastically….causing Marino’s incredible numbers to look far less impressive in todays game.

That’s what annoys me, I hate to see Bob so disrespected by his own fan base that don’t truly understand how drastically they’ve changed the rules of the game or what a great QB he truly was. How he actually performed the offensive coordinator duties on the field calling his own plays, not just having audible power (like Marino for example)!

The ironic thing is….I’ve noticed a disrespect in general from NFL fans not only towards the great QB’s of the 70’s….but even understanding how incredible Marino’s numbers were in his era now that the rules and protection of the QB has changed so drastically….causing Marino’s incredible numbers to look far less impressive in todays game.
Spot on. When the Rams won the SB this year and the Matt Stafford belongs in the HOF now debates began I wanted to throw up. “We” seem to over-emphasize the most recent things we see. All of the great QBs of the 70s - Griese, Staubach, Tarkington, Bradshaw and Stabler were basically the Rodgers, Mahomes etc of today. But they are dissed over the lack of understanding of how the game changed as you say. That’s how guys like Stafford wind up in HOF discussions which is a total joke.

Back
Top Bottom