Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who cares how he got it done? Overall he was a way better QB than Griese. This thread is laughable.

Actually no…he was a superior passer of the football, in the other QB skills Griese was the greater field general, better mobility, and unselfish. Bob could throw for big numbers if he had too….6 touchdown passes on thanksgiving day 1977 come to mind(could have had 8 or 9).

Bob knew the era he was in and understood a run/slanted offense was the way to win in his era…look at his completion percentage in the back to back Super Bowl wins.

Todays rules have made wide open passing essential and flashy with Gaudy stats…but those who lived through the 70’s know how great Bob Griese was…..it’s why he was decororated with all the awards including as many MVP awards as Marino!

Passer, not QB…..
The "field general" thing is dead even in my opinion or that Dan even gets the slight nod.

Dan had 33 forth quarter comebacks which was a record at one point. Bob had 15 over his career. That also needs to be considered in the "field general" category.

Dan had the better individual career
Bob had the better team career.

If Shula had run the team like he did with Bob, Dan would have at least won a Superbowl (I can't say multiple simply due to the fact that it takes so much including luck to get to multiple Superbowls).

No one talks about Bob Griese.

Everyone still talks about Marino.

Griese was average.

Marino had one of the greatest individual careers of all time.
Marino was a once in a generational talent.

But Griese wasn't average. A good argument could be made that he was the second best quarterback of his era.

The Vikings, Steelers and Raiders were all super bowl caliber teams. Some considered the Raiders to be the most talented from that time period.

Yet, in the biggest games against those teams Griese bested Tarkenton (24-7 in the super bowl), Stabler (27-10 in the AFC Championship) and Bradshaw (21-17 in the AFC Championship game). Griese came into that game with Pittsburgh leading 10-7.

That wasn't an accident. Griese is a Hall if Famer for a reason.

Last edited:
Marino was a once in a generational talent.

But Griese wasn't average. A good argument could be made that he was the second best quarterback of his ERA.

The Vikings, Steelers and Raiders were all super bowl caliber teams. Some considered the Raiders to be the most talented from thar time period.

Yet, in the biggest games against those teams Griese bested Tarkenton (24-7 in the super bowl), Stabler (27-10 in the AFC Championship) and Bradshaw (21-17 in the AFC Championship game). Griese came into that game with Pittsburgh leading 10-7.

That wasn't an accident. Griese is a Hall if Famer for a reason.

Yeah that was a horrible take. Average was a terrible word to use for Griese, that was the Kentucky bourbon barrel ale typing. Good thing my dad isn't on here, he'd slap me. :lol:

With that being said, I think I was just trying to convey that gap in talent I see between the two.

Griese threw 7 passes against the Vikings in Super Bowl VIII. It's similar in the other big games too. '72 AFC championship he entered the game and threw 5 times for 3 completions. One being the big 52 yard pass to Warfield. Against Stabler in the '73 championship game he had 6 passing attempts for 3 completions and 1 interception. None of those big playoff wins for Miami was he a major deciding factor.

I see him as a great game manager who could run that particular style offense at an elite level. The team was built perfect for him. The Dolphins had one of the greatest rushing attacks the NFL has ever seen, while also fielding one of the greatest defenses of all time.

Both had amazing careers as proven by the gold jackets they wear. Marinos' career was just head and shoulders above Grieses IMO, and that's not an insult. Dan is one of the GOATs of the NFL across it's entire history regardless of position.

Yeah that was a horrible take. Average was a terrible word to use for Griese, that was the Kentucky bourbon barrel ale typing. Good thing my dad isn't on here, he'd slap me. :lol:

With that being said, I think I was just trying to convey that gap in talent I see between the two.

Griese threw 7 passes against the Vikings in Super Bowl VIII. It's similar in the other big games too. '72 AFC championship he entered the game and threw 5 times for 3 completions. One being the big 52 yard pass to Warfield. Against Stabler in the '73 championship game he had 6 passing attempts for 3 completions and 1 interception. None of those big playoff wins for Miami was he a major deciding factor.

I see him as a great game manager who could run that particular style offense at an elite level. The team was built perfect for him. The Dolphins had one of the greatest rushing attacks the NFL has ever seen, while also fielding one of the greatest defenses of all time.

Both had amazing careers as proven by the gold jackets they wear. Marinos' career was just head and shoulders above Grieses IMO, and that's not an insult. Dan is one of the GOATs of the NFL across it's entire history regardless of position.
There's no question that Marino was more talented. It's a huge shame that Miami couldn't win a super bowl with him. That window was open early in Marino's career, but other teams were a lot better through most of his career.

Griese was perfectly suited for those early 70's teams as you said.

When Shula countered w the extra OL it definitely WAS NOT on Dan. The 49er DL repeatedly penetrated the double teams and got arms on our RBs before they even got to the LOS. There’s even a clip of Dwight Stephenson whiffing as Pillars or Dean got underneath him. It was a forgettable performance by a very talented OL. So no, Dan wasn’t changing the plays - Nathan and Bennett were getting dropped in their tracks even w 3 DL + Keena Turner going against 6 blockers. So frustrating.
I can't say whether or not Marino changed the plays in that game specifically, but I know for a fact that it was a cause for consternation during his career. I wonder if he'd learned to do less, like Young did, if he might have had more bites at the apple.

I can't say whether or not Marino changed the plays in that game specifically, but I know for a fact that it was a cause for consternation during his career. I wonder if he'd learned to do less, like Young did, if he might have had more bites at the apple.
In his career sure. But then Shula enabled / permitted it. We saw what happened when JJ took that away from him. It was a double edged sword really. I think no matter what, for him to have gotten another crack they would have needed to have found more balance in a good RB (like Denver finally got Elway) and a defense that could get off of the field - Dan never had that until way too late in his career (the D).

Bob pretty much went blind on us, even with that he did match Marinos 6 touchdown passes in one game. With that being said lovem both.
And he could have had 7 - his teammates were urging him to go for the record down on the goal line and Bob being Bob called the play he believed had the best chance of working - a run play - and it went for 6. Imagine Brady or any of these guys today? They go for records in meaningless situations all of the time.

And he could have had 7 - his teammates were urging him to go for the record down on the goal line and Bob being Bob called the play he believed had the best chance of working - a run play - and it went for 6. Imagine Brady or any of these guys today? They go for records in meaningless situations all of the time.
I blame Shula on that one. It was a good cardinals team that thanksgiving day.

I blame Shula on that one. It was a good cardinals team that thanksgiving day.
Yep they were a good team. The story I’ve read a few times is that they all wanted him to go for the record and he didn’t want to do it - which really does fit his persona.

Back
Top Bottom