Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.
Their eras cannot be compared by the Stat boys…it’s a different game.

However, Griese was an elite QB in his era…being named MVP and player of the year as much or more than Marino.

It was a different game. Griese didn't transcend his peers and era though. He was just one of many very solid to great QB of his era. Marino transcended his. That is the difference.

It was a different game. Griese didn't transcend his peers and era though. He was just one of many very solid to great QB of his era. Marino transcended his. That is the difference.

As a pure passer…yes, as a great all around QB…no!

Montana won 4 rings and many considered him the GOAT before Brady. That was Marino’s era and he certainly wasn’t transcended.

Aikman won 3.

I love Marino and firmly believe he was the greatest pure passer ever…but it’s denial to ignore his weaknesses in play action and his limited mobility…even though he was great moving around in the pocket and feeling the pass rush.

As a pure passer…yes, as a great all around QB…no!

Montana won 4 rings and many considered him the GOAT before Brady. That was Marino’s era and he certainly wasn’t transcended.

Aikman won 3.

I love Marino and firmly believe he was the greatest pure passer ever…but it’s denial to ignore his weaknesses in play action and his limited mobility…even though he was great moving around in the pocket and feeling the pass rush.
Just because the national sentiment is that you are not a great QB unless you win a super bowl, doesn’t make it true. It’s a team sport. It’s not like Marino failed to come up big in clutch times. He was money almost every time he needed to get it done. He has 33 career 4th quarter comebacks to Montana’s 26. And that’s on top of vastly superior passing stats. Montana had the running game and defense whereas Marino did not. I don’t for a second think Marino wouldn’t have won as many titles, and probably more, with the 49ers as Montana did. They didn’t skip a beat when Steve Young took over. The national narrative is just too simplistic.

Just because the national sentiment is that you are not a great QB unless you win a super bowl, doesn’t make it true. It’s a team sport. It’s not like Marino failed to come up big in clutch times. He was money almost every time he needed to get it done. He has 33 career 4th quarter comebacks to Montana’s 26. And that’s on top of vastly superior passing stats. Montana had the running game and defense whereas Marino did not. I don’t for a second think Marino wouldn’t have won as many titles, and probably more, with the 49ers as Montana did. They didn’t skip a beat when Steve Young took over. The national narrative is just too simplistic.
Marino’s arm was so good it it covered up much of his weaknesses as an overall QB…he was the worst playfake QB of his era!

Marino’s arm was so good it it covered up much of his weaknesses as an overall QB…he was the worst playfake QB of his era!
Who cares how he got it done? Overall he was a way better QB than Griese. This thread is laughable.

No one talks about Bob Griese.

Everyone still talks about Marino.

Griese was average.

Marino had one of the greatest individual careers of all time.

Well maybe we can talk about winning another super bowl soon. I'll take that over individual stats any day of the week. Whether its Marino or Bob.

I'm a Giants fan, and I hope Bonds never gets into the HoF. Please don't use that bum as an argument for Marino.
I wasn't saying Bonds should be in the hall of fame. I said plenty of great players don't win titles.

Lol, people still throwing out rings as if they determine which QBs are better. By that standard, Bradshaw, Dilfer, and Manning the Lesser are all miles better than Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, Kelly. Right.

Yeah, Aikman has three. What’s he doing on the Dolphins who were several levels less talented than those Dallas teams were? Is he carrying them to 3 Super Bowls? Put Marino on Dallas in 1990 and they don’t skip a beat. Aikman doesn’t come close to being as good a QB as Marino was. He just had the good fortune of far better teammates and a coach who in the early 90s was far more on his game than Shula was, especially in the all important skill of drafting Hall of Fame players.

Back
Top Bottom