Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.
I loved Dan but I loved Bob and those teams - who were just built better. It’s not just Marino - why has Aaron Rodgers only been to 1 SB? Drew Brees? Why didn’t Warren Moon ever get there? You’re right - that kind of football doesn’t produce sustained success. Dan was an electrifying talent - but without balance you aren’t winning SBs - even today you have to have some which is why Peyton’s colts lost to NO that year. Griese was the most unselfish QB I ever watched.
To your point and Awsi Dooger's, I always wondered why Miami wasn't able to get a quality run game going with Dan Marino.

Shula's team dominated on the ground in the early 70's and had a quality running game between Griese and the Woodley/Strock years.

The Dolphins lacked that balance that the upper echelon teams had in the Marino years, leaving Dan to play the superman role far too often.

Check again. The '73 team was arguably better than the undefeated team as Miami went 12-2 (15-2 including playoffs) with a much harder schedule. Griese wasn't hurt that year. Three straight SB appearances and two Championships was pretty damn impressive.
Plus, Griese came off the bench to lead Miami over Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game in 1972.

Then you probably shouldn't say "I'd rather have higher individual accomplishments than team accomplishments personally."

Wanting individual success doesn't mean you can't give your all for the team.

So you'd rather be the third string QB on a superbowl team than Dan Marino? I'd guess not. What about the team in that case?

The team is a product of individuals, multiple individuals success is what creates team success.

Given the choice between the two, I choose individual. That doesn't mean the other isn't important to me.

To your point and Awsi Dooger's, I always wondered why Miami wasn't able to get a quality run game going with Dan Marino.

Shula's team dominated on the ground in the early 70's and had a quality running game between Griese and the Woodley/Strock years.

The Dolphins lacked that balance that the upper echelon teams had in the Marino years, leaving Dan to play the superman role far too often.
It’s maddening. They drafted a lot of backs like Lorenzo Hampton and Sammie Smith w high picks. Just didn’t hit on them.

I have to say this is a crazy comparison. It's Dan Marino and it's not close. I get that it was a different era but seriously, Bob Griese threw for a grand total of 2,060 yards in two years!! Also, it wasn't like he was efficient either. Earl Morrall is proof of how little the QB meant to that team, in that era. They threw that statue out there and they went undefeated. They ran for an average of 4.9 yards per carry over the two super bowl years. They had two 1,000 yard rushers in 72 and nearly accomplished that again in 73. Their defenses were unbelievable. With all the talk of the steel curtain, the no-name defense was right there as one of the best all time.

Dan Marino revolutionized the modern passing game in the NFL. He put up numbers that were so silly, they took decades to break in the pass-happy modern NFL. He had ONE 1,000 yard rusher in his career and that guy averaged 3.6 YPC and that team averaged 3.2. Let's not even talk about the defenses he had to carry. Take Dan's 1984 year and compare it to today. It's still one of the greatest years of all time and if you compare the rules then, it's absolutely the best.

By this logic, Trent Dilfer had a more successful career than Dan Marino simply because he won a super bowl. Winning and putting up great numbers, like Brady, is an accomplishment. Just winning a super bowl means nothing. It's been done by inept QBs before. This is why the super bowl argument does not hold up. In today's game, you need a great QB. In the '70s, if you could run and play defense, you'd win most games.

This is nothing against Bob Griese but come on. This is almost laughable. Bob is not in the same orbit as Dan and no, just because he won super bowls doesn't mean his career was more successful.

Your post shows that you in fact “don’t” get the the difference in the eras….

Griese was 8 times a pro bowler, 2 times all-pro…NFL MVP and NFL player of the year…..

After the loss of his famous running backs he would be named The NFL’s best while leading the NFL in touchdown passes in 1977.

Nobody suggests Marino is not the greatest passer in Dolphin history….but, to act like Griese was not one of the NFL’s elite QB’s in his era is naivety and clearly shows you didn’t watch both eras first hand, that you aren’t aware of the rules changes, the added protection given to QB’s as time progressed etc etc etc

Not efficient? He completed nearly every pass he threw in back to back Super Bowl Victories!

It reminds me of current fans who want to diminish Marino because of the further rules changes of the 2000’s that made passing even easier and continued opening up the offenses that saw seemingly untouchable records of Marino quickly fall after the changes.

I would go with Dan.

To win a championship takes more than an elite QB. Dan's not the only QB who was great but could never win a ring. Cause it takes roughly 30 other starting/key depth guys to play as an unit. I can't hold that against Dan that he had one shot early on then the team went into decline.

Dan showed the NFL he was head and above his QB peers for a stretch and had amazing feats for a QB, back when the NFL wasn't as pass friendly as it is now.

Peyton Manning won his first after his defense stepped up in the playoffs then he was carried by the Broncos defense to win his second. Peyton would of been like Dan had he not had those defensive efforts in key games.

I would go with Dan.

To win a championship takes more than an elite QB. Dan's not the only QB who was great but could never win a ring. Cause it takes roughly 30 other starting/key depth guys to play as an unit. I can't hold that against Dan that he had one shot early on then the team went into decline.

Dan showed the NFL he was head and above his QB peers for a stretch and had amazing feats for a QB, back when the NFL wasn't as pass friendly as it is now.

Peyton Manning won his first after his defense stepped up in the playoffs then he was carried by the Broncos defense to win his second. Peyton would of been like Dan had he not had those defensive efforts in key games.
I’ve said that many times about Peyton. He wasn’t even good in the win over the Bears and he really got lucky in drawing Rex Grossman who was awful in that game. And then vs Carolina the D scored or set up every TD - he was a disaster in that game.

Shula kept Olivadotti too long but the real problem was Shula had some horrible drafts over the years.......there was a streak where we got nothing from our draft like in 8 years in a row....that has nothing to do with the DC.
Shula def had some misses in the 1st round, but nothing from the draft 8 years in a row? Which eight years are you talking about?

Marino on those 70s teams wins as many or more SBs as Greise. Those teams had multiple Hall of Famers on both sides of the ball. Put Greise on Marino’s teams, especially the post 1984 teams, and I have no doubt he’d do worse than Marino did. Marino played with nobody who’s even in the conversation for the Hall except a tiny window of Dwight Stephenson’s career and the very beginning of Taylor and Thomas’ careers.

Your post shows that you in fact “don’t” get the the difference in the eras….

Griese was 8 times a pro bowler, 2 times all-pro…NFL MVP and NFL player of the year…..

After the loss of his famous running backs he would be named The NFL’s best while leading the NFL in touchdown passes in 1977.

Nobody suggests Marino is not the greatest passer in Dolphin history….but, to act like Griese was not one of the NFL’s elite QB’s in his era is naivety and clearly shows you didn’t watch both eras first hand, that you aren’t aware of the rules changes, the added protection given to QB’s as time progressed etc etc etc

Not efficient? He completed nearly every pass he threw in back to back Super Bowl Victories!

It reminds me of current fans who want to diminish Marino because of the further rules changes of the 2000’s that made passing even easier and continued opening up the offenses that saw seemingly untouchable records of Marino quickly fall after the changes.
JHC what I said was simple. I said it didn't matter who the QB of those teams was. That was proven by the fact that they dominated with Morrall as well.

I said I don't have an axe to grind with Griese and he is one of the greatest of his era. However, to say his career was more successful than Dan Marino because he won two super bowls is just plain dumb. Was Griese a first ballot hall of famer? No. There's a reason for that. I also understand the difference in eras.

Dan, by his peers that blew away his records, is still considered the greatest thrower of the football ever. He changed the game of football forever. You do realize that, right? The great ones do that. Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and now Brady, Brees and Mahomes. Those guys changed the game. Bob was not on that level, even for his era. I'm sorry if you don't see that but comparing the two is silly.

Marino on those 70s teams wins as many or more SBs as Greise. Those teams had multiple Hall of Famers on both sides of the ball. Put Greise on Marino’s teams, especially the post 1984 teams, and I have no doubt he’d do worse than Marino did. Marino played with nobody who’s even in the conversation for the Hall except a tiny window of Dwight Stephenson’s career and the very beginning of Taylor and Thomas’ careers.
One 1,000 yard back his entire career. Bob had two in one season! He had a third that had 700 yards.

Back
Top Bottom