Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe, but...

Griese was perfectly suited for Miami's style of play in the 70's. His skills complemented that team in a way Marino might not have. Play action fakes, patience etc.

The Dolphins wouldn't have passed the ball 30-40 times a game with Csonka, Morris and Kiick.
And would Dan have been ok with that? Or would Shula have decided to be pass-oriented or run-oriented? What a problem to have - I don’t know how you do both though!

You said it better than I did. Griese was so underrated.

Brady is actually a good comparison. I watched games where Brady took those 3-5 yard completions all day long when they were working. Same with Griese. If the run game was on, he'd complement it with a few passes, but really stick to the running game.

Griese gets criticism for not having stats, being just a game manager, but he was an excellent quarterback. Unselfish and good at all the little details that added up to winning.
And how about his hard count in key moments to draw the D offsides for that first down. He was such a thinking man’s QB.

I doubt if Dan would say that he’s about as ****y as they come. And that’s a good thing I always like that about him
Well, I know he would trade all of his record and stats etc for that SB win is my point.

And how about his hard count in key moments to draw the D offsides for that first down. He was such a thinking man’s QB.
He "stole" some very important first downs! Best ever at that.

On another subject, I wish there were highlights of Larry Csonka blocking. He was like having an extra offensive lineman in the game.

Just such an unselfish team. I think that's a big reason for their success in that time period.

Add... Warfield never complaining about not being targeted enough.

Last edited:
And would Dan have been ok with that? Or would Shula have decided to be pass-oriented or run-oriented? What a problem to have - I don’t know how you do both though!
I think Miami would have passed more, especially if Marino was calling the plays.

I will say, I believe the Dolphins win in 1982 with Marino or Griese in their primes. Just missed on that.

The best way to answer this question is if your building a team, both players in their prime, who do you pick? Easy answer for me. Marino

He "stole" some very important first downs! Best ever at that.

On another subject, I wish there were highlights of Larry Csonka blocking. He was like having an extra offensive lineman in the game.

Just such an unselfish team. I think k that's a big reason for their success in that time period.

Add... Warfield never complaining about not being targeted enough.
Spot on. I think Warfield only caught 29 balls in ‘73 but didn’t 11 go for TDs Epitome of selflessness.

I think Miami would have passed more, especially if Marino was calling the plays.

I will say, I believe the Dolphins win in 1982 with Marino or Griese in their primes. Just missed on that.
Without a doubt. Even w the terrible QB play in that game (not a single pass completion by Woodley in the 2nd half) we near won the game.

Spot on. I think Warfield only caught 29 balls in ‘73 but didn’t 11 go for TDs Epitome of selflessness.
And some people criticize Warfield for not having great numbers.

To me, football is about winning and is the ultimate team game. Love the stats, but I think people put too much into that.

Knowing how their careers turned out. Griese would lead the team to win 2 Superbowls but Dan would set the NFL on fire and keep us relevant for 17 years. I told my friend, I respect Griese more than Marino because he was able to lead us to win 2 Superbowls and Marino never did. Unfortunately that's what quarterbacks are judged on and even an inferior QB is deemed more successful when Superbowls are involved.
Which is so unfair.

Nobody so far has shown they can throw the ball like Dan Marino. He's one of the few NFL players ever that put his team in every game he played in. Not many could do that.

Last edited:
Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl so he is better than Marino. Seriously? Marino is the best Dolphin in history. Superbowl or Not.
The OP asked who had the best career. He didn’t ask who was the better QB. A career includes how your team performed while you were on the team. While there is no doubt Marino was the better QB, his teams never accomplished the ultimate goal of winning a SB.

Obviously it wasn’t Marino’s fault the Dolphins didn’t win a SB but I have no doubt he would have gladly given up a lot of his passing stats for the two wins Griese and the Dolphins had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom