Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't even think it's fair to say Griese had the better career because of Superbowls.

Teams make Superbowls, not players. Especially in that era. I don't consider a superbowl to be a career accomplishment personally. It's something that happened in your career that you helped with, but you didnt personally accomplish it, your team did.

If we base QBs as being better simply on winning SBs, then ELI Manning is a better QB than Marino....thing about it guys.

If we base QBs as being better simply on winning SBs, then ELI Manning is a better QB than Marino....thing about it guys.
Again, the OP did not ask who the better QB was. He asked who had the better career. Football is a team game, not a one man game. Success is based on how the team plays and whether they win the ultimate prize at the end of the season.

The reality is both Eli Manning, Bob Griese, and any QB that was on a team that won a SB had a more successful career than Marino and his teammates had.

Marino individually was a great QB but his teams never won a SB. Every year there is one winner in the NFL and 31 losers. Unfortunately as great as he was individually, his teams ended every season as a loser and so it hard to say he had a better career than Griese, who’s teams won 2 SB’s.

As a pro football player,your career has TWO goals....get to the Hall Of Fame and win a Super Bowl....

I have tremendous admiration for Griese for bringing us our 2 SB's. But hands down in skill Marino had the better career Statistically and kept us always in the hunt for many years.

To me it’s about what you can control. So
Marino wins hands down. The championship argument is weak to me because for one, Griese wasn’t the reason they won them. They played the bulk of the undefeated season without him. Second, Marino was THE reason Miami even made many of those playoff years. He changed the position by raising the bar significantly on what was a productive QB metric.

So I don’t use championships at all as a measurement between them. Miami never had a team that “failed” to win under Marino. Their Super Bowl loss was to a 15-1 team. Their teams were always flawed in some way. His ‘83 and ‘84 team and maybe the ‘92 and ‘94 teams had a punchers chance but that’s about it. The early 70’s teams were dynamos on D and in the run game. Imagine Marino with Warfield in that era? Lol.

Using the championship logic, Robert Horry had a better career than LeBron to date.
Agree w all of this. But I think the OP is asking about career not who was better

Which one was the best player on the team when they played? How many times was Griese limited by his supporting cast? It's #13 by a mile. The 72 and 73 teams, with and without Griese, were better than any team during the Marino Era.

To discount Marino's career for lacking a ring or endorsing another's for having one or more is wrong to me. A Superbowl win is regarded as one of the hardest accomplishments in all of sports. No single player has ever been responsible for winning one.

Last edited:
I love both but, being a fan during both guys years...my favorite and my fathers as well was Earl Morrall...

Still love the Marino days and always felt we could win no matter what...

Anywho...

The best way to answer this question is if your building a team, both players in their prime, who do you pick? Easy answer for me.
That’s not the question though. It’s who had the better career not who was the best.

1649721360986.gif
Oh wow. 24 votes for Griese. What. In. The. Actual. Flux capacitor.?

Marino went to 1 super bowl, lost, never went back and is still regarded as top 5 of all time.

Do you know how good you have to be to finger zero rings and still rock a c@ck that large?

1649721570331.gif

I dont see us replacing Dan Marino for a wild...I dont think team defense today .. would want face Dan w all the rule change now..dan had best career but only one trip to SB..I don't think mohomes, Brady or arron Rogers better than Marino. They are 3 best qb today..

Marino was the better quarterback by a mile. Not taking Bob for granted as he was quite good himself, but Dan was better in a lot of facets of the game. But if you solely base this on SB wins then obviously Bob had the better career. If Dan had the teams that Bob had however, he would have won even more.

I like Marino better than both but they got rings and Marino dont..plus they was on better complare team than Marino...
I get that. It's tough for Marino. I believe if he played for San Francisco, Marino would have won as many championships as Montana did there.

No question Marino lifted a team more than most quarterbacks can.

Griese was my childhood hero, but got to go with Marino.

If it is based on Super Bowls, that would mean Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco and Nick Foles all had better careers than Marino.

Back
Top Bottom