Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

Who had the better career: Bob Griese or Dan Marino?

• Bob Griese

• Dan Marino

Results are only viewable after voting.
By this logic, Jim Loscutoff who has won the most career NBA championships for a small forward with 7, has had a better career than LeBron James. Yeah right.

Nah bruh... It don't work like that. Marino changed the game, he had the better career hands down.

Bob Griese retired 42 years ago at the age of 35. I never saw him play a snap. I'm surprised so many FH posters are so passionate and familiar with how he played back in his day. Yes, he won Super Bowls with modest stats, a great Defense and a great running game, but I strongly doubt that he had a greater career than Dan Marino. At the end of the day, does it really matter? Both Bob and Dan are Miami Dolphins QBs in the NFL Hall of Fame.
Nick Foles won a Super Bowl at Philadelphia and Dan Marino never won one. Does that mean that Nick Foles has had a better career than Dan? Methinks that evaluating an NFL career is not just based on Super Bowl success.

Last edited:
You play to win Super Bowls. So the guy with 2 super bowl wins and a HOF bust had the better career imo.
You will not convince me that Eli Manning had a better career than Dan Marino.....cause you know they are going to force him into the HOF.

Now here’s the controversial part - if Marino had the team Griese had, yes he undoubtedly wins a SB or multiple. But would he have been patient enough to run the offense that was so successful for those teams? Had he slung it all over and put up tons of points, that means the time consuming drives that wore defense down don’t happen. It also means our D is on the field more. It’s interesting to ponder anyway.
Not sure he would have had to be that patient. Dan Marino never had a receiver as good as Paul Warfield was.

Big Bob Griesie fan myself even tho I loved Marino. The only good Qaurter backs we've has since 1966.

In a way it's an easy answer. I'd take two super bowl wins over passing records.

It's a shame that Miami couldn't win a super bowl with a talent like Marino.
The question wasn't which team was better (wins being a team stat). Of course the early '70s Dolphins were better than the '80s/'90s Dolphins.

If wins could be stat'd to an individual, IMO it would be the HC.

Last edited:
Knowing how their careers turned out. Griese would lead the team to win 2 Superbowls but Dan would set the NFL on fire and keep us relevant for 17 years. I told my friend, I respect Griese more than Marino because he was able to lead us to win 2 Superbowls and Marino never did. Unfortunately that's what quarterbacks are judged on and even an inferior QB is deemed more successful when Superbowls are involved.
Sorry, but Griese didn't even play for the 72 undefeated season. He came off of injury right at the end of the season. In addition, Griese had amazing RBs and a nasty defense. They were a complete team.

Marino was on an entirely different level as a QB. No offense to Griese, but Dan is THE man. Hands down, no questions asked.

Knowing how their careers turned out. Griese would lead the team to win 2 Superbowls but Dan would set the NFL on fire and keep us relevant for 17 years. I told my friend, I respect Griese more than Marino because he was able to lead us to win 2 Superbowls and Marino never did. Unfortunately that's what quarterbacks are judged on and even an inferior QB is deemed more successful when Superbowls are involved.
Sorry, but Griese didn't even play for the 72 undefeated season. He came off of injury right at the end of the season. In addition, Griese had amazing RBs and a nasty defense. They were a complete team.

Marino was on an entirely different level as a QB. No offense to Griese, but Dan is THE man. Hands down,

Agree w all of this. But I think the OP is asking about career not who was better
I hear you but that doesn’t change anything in my post. No one is going to rationally dispute Marino was the better player. My post was still defending how his career was better regardless of the no championships because of his value to the team and high-bar level of play that elevated his teams - that otherwise were often not that good - for years.

If you were starting a team from scratch and could take either one in their prime, who are you taking?

Playoff record:
Bob Griese 7-5
Dan Marino 8-10

MVP:
Griese 1
Marino 1

Pro Bowls:
GRIESE: 8
MARINO: 8

W/L:
GRIESE: 101-57-3 56.2%
MARINO: 147-95 .607%

Super Bowl Wins:
GRIESE: 2
MARINO:0
I understand the black and white comparison here but let's not pretend like Dan did not do things on the field that were decades ahead of any other QB. What Dan did passing was a thing of pure beauty, Tom might be the GOAT but Dan was the greatest pure passer of all time and it isn't even close.

Bob was a great QB and with the measure of success being Super Bowls you could say on a franchise level Bob had a better career but as an Individual it was clearly Dan.

I hear you but that doesn’t change anything in my post. No one is going to rationally dispute Marino was the better player. My post was still defending how his career was better regardless of the no championships because of his value to the team and high-bar level of play that elevated his teams - that otherwise were often not that good - for years.
He carried the team like very few QBs who ever played could do.

Back
Top Bottom