Who Is Adam Gase (opinion) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Is Adam Gase (opinion)

Trade Viper

Wicked Stop Hunter
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So, I would like to present the following for your entertainment. I have no inside information, don't know Adam Gase, or any of the detailed circumstances that have led the Dolphins to this "juncture". However I do believe there is enough cumulative data to begin to understand him and this teams circumstances a bit more clearly. It's obvious that one of the issues irritating fans the most is his "management style", which includes personnel decisions, of course lack of winning does not help, but this "style" seems to make it worse.

So, lets start there, this comes from a year ago,

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hins-adam-gase-to-team-perform-or-get-benched

"I'm over discussing any of this stuff with players," Gase said, via the Miami Herald. "We're either going to start getting the job done, or we're going to make changes."

Then there was this discussion.

http://finheaven.com/threads/indust...y-adam-gase-will-fail-as-a-head-coach.334954/

Now 2017

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article181319641.html#storylink=cpy

“I’m pissed. I’m tired of this. I’m tired of the offense being awful. Guys better need to get their heads right. Coaching staff needs to do a better job. Obviously, our players not knowing is a direct reflection of them.”

Followed by

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article182818336.html

"This Ajayi trade — for reasons of chemistry and culture — remind of moves the Joe Philbin Dolphins made time and again for reasons he thought were right because of chemistry and culture.Remember Philbin’s Dolphins? (Sorry). That coach wanted to remake the team in his image and wanted players to do things his way and so ...Those Dolphins traded Vontae Davis.
And traded Brandon Marshall."

The fact that A. Gase found certain players unsuitable for his organization is not what gets my attention, it is they way he handled it. All of these hysterics, and emotional responses, unless this is a typo, what does "Guys better need to get their heads right." mean? All one has to do is look at the wording, clearly he is so emotional that thinking clearly under these circumstances is difficult for him. Frankly, and I hope everyone will agree, you cannot make clear headed decisions when you are this emotional. This alone is a significant personality flaw, it means that, when under a stressful situation, a person will not think, assess, reason, and then decide based on logic and empirical information.

For two years in a row HE has caused controversy in the public media. Of course the now famous Coke incident did distract a bit, but in reality, instead of just taking care of business, he brought attention to the dumpster fire that was becoming the Miami Dolphins. He could have quietly made the needed changes, and yes folks would have questioned some of his moves, but, it would not have looked like the team had gone off the rails as it does now. Some fans believe that shaming, calling people out, etc. is what this team needs, well I just watched 5 interviews with Darth Sidious after big losses, and if you got 3 words out of him it was a lot. Most of it was him staring at the media in silence, and then saying we "fell short, the whole team fell short". A manager has to be like a fireman, if there is a fire in your organization, whether in sports, a big loss; or finance, a series of losses; or construction, a couple of over budget completions, each circumstance requires self control, logic, and clear assessment. You cannot throw Nitromethane on it and expect things to get better. Once a manager commits to being an arsonist rather than a Firefighter, the battle for change is lost, the opportunity is lost, and IF and this is a big IF, the manager realizes their mistake, it is a billion times harder to correct it at that point, of course adding to this difficulty is that being a football coach is an endeavor constantly under public scrutiny.

I have no idea if A. Gase will be a successful Head Coach, no doubt he will get another 2 years to prove his worth, but in reality, the odds are against him. He has already misspent much goodwill and public capital on ego and mismanagement. But one thing I know about humans is that they can surprise you, sometimes they can make astounding changes and become greater than anyone ever thought, so this is what I am hoping, for the sake of this team and the fans.

Anyway, so much for the "Person" A. Gase, but what about the coach. Well I was going to do a draft thingy to see how I do in picking winners. I then realized that to do so, I would have to pick in harmony with A. Gase's philosophy as far as a team is concerned, to do this it would seem that you have to look at what he did and inherited with Denver. So a brief review is in order, so that we can understand his CoachThink.

In reviewing what he did in Denver, in reality, it really wasn't that much. Mike McCoy had set up an offense that made even Kyle Orton look good, so one would think that with the addition of P. Manning, the offense would continue to shine. Well not so much, Manning had a horrible year, but the Bronc's still beat the Evil Empire and won a super bowl, how.

In researching this it came down to the running game and #1 defense. Neither of which A. Gase had much to do with. The issue now is, what is he going to do to reproduce the same success in Miami. I'm not saying it is impossible, but, well, before Wade Phillips ran the D, it was ranked #3 after he took over it reached #1 in ranking.

So if A. Gase wants to replicate the team he worked with in Denver, he needs to get a Defensive coordinator who can put an Empire stopping defense on the field, nothing short of this will work. As for QB, I think he is content with mediocrity, no superstars, just a competent game manager, with a strong running game. I don't think this team is anywhere close to any of this at this point other than QB with R, Tanne. The O line is massively inconsistent, and please don't get me started on the Defense.

The offense he runs is quite complex from what I understand, so this would indicate to me that he will need very intelligent linemen. So with this said, why would you pick someone who has an obviously limited intellect in the first round. Anyone who would do what Mr. Tunsil did, before the draft, knowing what was at stake, is not only lacking in maturity, but lacking in intellect. Intelligent people do not make choices like that, and having said this, it makes me question the ability of this organization, from top to bottom, to be able to find the right people to fit his "system".

I really "hope" he has success, that would mean the Phins will have it also. If he is planning to copy or approximate how Denver did it, I have no complaints, there are many ways to win in the NFL, but the point is, " I know He Can Get The Job, But Can He Do The Job?"

The Ever Thoughtful VIPER

Your opinion is duly noted however I see valid reasons for his tirades and decisions. The NFL players get paid too much money "not to get it". It's the coach's way or the highway. Enough is enough with this team. Do we want the Dolphins to be perennial cellar dwellars? NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Aside from a few big runs because of better line play, Ajayis numbers are similar if you take those plays away. which tell me Gase knew what he was talking about.

On top of that our offense has played far better with Williams and Drake and it is prove in stats.

All you Ajayi truthers need to relax because if we end up with a fourth round pick for a RB in a 4 man committee then you consider that great value

I applaud your depth of research, and I can see the point you are making. My take is that the Dolphins roster is full of players that were not accountable, had bad practice habits, and failed to meet expectations. I do not see a problem with cutting players, demanding a strong work ethic from players, and trading players that do not fit your scheme for a draft pick. I get that you do not like the drama, and it is fine that you feel that way. Drama would be a poor reason to fire a coach.

Obviously, I thought we had multiple player personnel problems after Philbin, so I am a little more patient with Coach Gase. One of the aspects I am beginning to appreciate is how patient Coach Gase is when setting up the defense. I rewatched the game versus the Broncos. The offense ran passes out of three run sets in a row. I thought it was strange until the next play was a trap that went for 9 yards, and it fooled the defense because Coach Gase programmed the defense (similar to boxing or full contact karate) to expect the pass when the OL executed a similar blocking style. For this style of programming to setup the defense to work, the offensive players have to show consistency and execute the assignment. What you call complicated I call sneaky clever. This is why trading or cutting Ajayi was an absolute must. His free styling was invalidating the entire approach.

I believe it is going to take another couple of years for Coach Gase to get this offense where he wants it to be, but I am starting to see a vision of what he appears to be planning.

I think how the fins finish out the season starting tonight will be telling. If we, once again, get embarrassed on nat tv and come out slow and have stupid penalties i will lose more faith in Coach Gase. If we fight, not necessarily win but play hard and smart the remainder of the season, i will gain respect and buy into what he's doing.

My support has lessoned but i still support him but expect progress each week.

looking at big picure 32 yr since dolphins went to superbowl....our we anywhere closed to going again to sb. this is how I feel about Gase....
I can put 5 teams in the Super Bowl today. I'll ride with Gase for now. He is getting command of the team and weeding out who he inherited.

I can put 10 team in it this yr. it same 5 to 6 team every yr except GB this yr..

I haven't seen anything to date that tells me Adam Gase's success as a head coach will have more to do with anything but how well he gets his quarterback to play.

Last year his quarterback played poorly to start the season, and so did the team. When his quarterback played much better, so did the team.

This year his quarterbacks have played very poorly, and so has his team.

That tells me the jury should still be out on whether he's truly head coach material, or simply someone who should be viewed as an offensive coordinator who may have the ability to maximize his quarterback's play.

I think he's a coach who is still establishing an identity in the NFL. I think his struggles this year are based mostly on personnel.

As an example, Gase wants a fast paced offense something he has not yet been able to achieve in Miami. Is this simply because the offensive line is so bad?

That

It's a tough question. In some ways Adam Gase is still navigating the NFL and attempting to put his stamp on the team.

Two years in and he still hasn't been able to run the fast tempo offense he's talked about. Is that just lacking the right personnel? The fact that he's called out players not knowing assignment and has had to dumb down the offense is troubling.

I think the primary issues is lack of talent and really want to see what Gase can accomplish with a better offensive line. I think he also needs to look at better ways to teach his concepts.

Back
Top Bottom