Who is our first rounder in 2016? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is our first rounder in 2016?

I am watching Cal QB Jared GOFF, and I am really impressed with his throws. He is really smooth and can make all the throws. I doubt we would draft a QB early, but Goff looks like he may be the first QB taken off the board.

I took time today to watch the cal game today see what all this HYPE!!! was about with goff and after the first half I turned the game off!!!

I took time today to watch the cal game today see what all this HYPE!!! was about with goff and after the first half I turned the game off!!!

Everyone can have a bad game. He is still likely to be one of the first two QB's taken.

The first interception Goff threw wasn't his fault. That was a perfectly thrown strike on a post route that hit Kenny Lawler right in the hands and in stride. He'd probably still be running if he catches it. The interception is just a digit on a stat sheet. It doesn't tell you anything, just like most interceptions on a stat sheet. That was a perfect throw that few can make. He didn't even step into that throw, it was all arm. Go back and keep watching that throw over and over again until it sinks in how impressive it was.

I hear the commentators during the game talking about Goff "trying to do to much" as the reason he was forcing throws and ended up with 5 INT's. Of course he was. The interceptions don't account for all the perfect throws his receivers dropped that put him in that position to have to do too much to begin with. The commentators don't make this connection, despite pointing out how many perfect passes the Cal receivers are dropping. They dropped a lot of passes in that game. If they just catch most of those, most of those interceptions don't happen.

You really have to look at the quality of a lot of those throws he made against Utah. I can guarantee they were top notch NFL caliber. This is aside from his knack for recognizing matchups pre-snap and superb timing. His offensive line never even came out of the locker room I think.

It suprises me that people never learn their lesson about over-emphasizing interceptions when evaluating college quarterbacks. They're just looking at numbers, not evaluating the quarterbacks. It takes a lot more than that. I listened to a lot of people trashing Matt Ryan for his 19 interceptions he threw his Senior season. I listened to 'em trash Marino for throwing too many his Senior year. I listened to 'em trash Jameis Winston for throwing too many interceptions. These people don't know how to evaluate quarterbacks. Hell, anybody can look at the number of INT's a quarterback throws and make an assumption as to whether they're good or bad based on that. Interceptions don't translate to the next level. Lack of interceptions don't translate to the next level.

In other words, I'll take the quarterbacks like Goff, Matt Ryan, Marino, Brett Hundley, and Jameis Winston that throw too many interceptions in college. If you want to draft quarterbacks with a low tally in the interception column, draft quarterbacks like Robert Griffin, Sam Bradford, Marcus Mariota, Colt McCoy, etc. It's not going to work out too good for you.

Winston inparticular is a lot like Eli Manning. There's going to be games where he throws multiple interceptions. There's going to be seasons where he throws 25 interceptions and leads the league in that department like Eli does. But there's also going to be games where he leads his team in the clutch to wins. Throws 30+ touchdowns a year and plays at pro-bowl level. And someday after he's been in the league for a decade like Eli, you'll be able to look back at the total body of work, and see a Hall of Fame type resume. Maybe even a championship ring or two. Like Eli.

Last edited by a moderator:
It suprises me that people never learn their lesson about over-emphasizing interceptions when evaluating college quarterbacks. They're just looking at numbers, not evaluating the quarterbacks. It takes a lot more than that. I listened to a lot of people trashing Matt Ryan for his 19 interceptions he threw his Senior season. I listened to 'em trash Marino for throwing too many his Senior year. I listened to 'em trash Jameis Winston for throwing too many interceptions. These people don't know how to evaluate quarterbacks. Hell, anybody can look at the number of INT's a quarterback throws and make an assumption as to whether they're good or bad based on that. Interceptions don't translate to the next level. Lack of interceptions don't translate to the next level.

While I agree base stats shouldn't be overstated when evaluating, I have to completely disagree as far as interceptions go.

Matt Ryan IMO is not a good example, he's incredibly overrated, great in game situations, but over all has sucked unless Julio lights it up.

Winston? Has he been good? Bottom 5 in pick 6.

Marino? Top notch qb, still threw a ton of picks.

College interceptions translate to the NFL for sure. It's not an end all stat, but trying to dismiss it is crazy IMO. Yeah, some interceptions might not be a QBs fault.

BUT 5 is a To many to defend.

To me neither Goff nor Lynch pass the test. They are both udfa material.

The first thing I look at is the decision making. Very often, presnap alignment will tell you where the numbers are, where the matchup advantages are. The qb must be like clockwork exploiting those, and those are often easy throws. This is the bottom line to the mastery of the game.

Second, often everyone is covered and the qb sees one on one with help over the top. In those cases the rb in the flat and the te will usually release late and will be open. Gotta hit those, or if the decision is to challenge the coverage then the pass has to be excellent and decisive, which would show understanding of the routes.

Third, the rhythm and timing. A qb cant be indecisive because that means he sucks at understanding the game.

Fourth, a qb must attack all areas of the field because matchups are there to exploit.

Finally, the placement of the ball.

So far Ive seen DB films of Cook, Hogan, and Doughty and they pass the test. Golson was unreal against the UM. Based on that game Id give him 1st rd grade. I also watched some of his 2014 footage and he was a joy to watch.
Goff and Lynch do not pass in my opinion. They are both wild. They play decisively and fast with tempo, but they are completely inconsistent with everything else. They are unwatchable, I had to turn off their film several times because they were really going on my nerves.
I watched a little bit of Kessler too and came away very unimpressed. Hackenberg is a very difficult evaluation. Penn St offense is not good, but I saw him trying to make good decisions. Id put him at 6th rd right now.
Stave and Seth Russell look draftable. The rest of the qbs on DB look udfa to me.

1st rd: Golson, Cook, Hogan
3rd rd: Doughty
5th rd: Russell
6th rd: Hack, Stave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Brazzi i guarantee you that GOFF and LYNCH, will both certainly be drafted. UDFA? cmon man!!!

Back
Top Bottom