Who is your preferred choice @ #18 if we stay there, if available?! | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is your preferred choice @ #18 if we stay there, if available?!

Who would you take @ #18 if available?

• Kadarius Toney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caleb Farley (is dropping some due to back surgery)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Who would YOU take @ #18 for the Phins?! And explain why.

If the option you choose just has a position, name the player and say why; there were too many at that position to write them all!

Discuss!
Another great poll brother! I'm impressed that you nailed it again!!!!

So the Caleb Farley dropping is probably the most intriguing scenario. It's yet another pure gamble. Farley is a dynamite steal at #18 if his back heals up, and a DB-centric coach like Coach Flo will be drooling over that one. But ... it's a mirage on multiple levels, because the injury issue may not heal, and even if it does this team has painted itself into a corner for getting a starting edge rusher. We can gamble that the guy we want will be available in round 2, but there's probably only 2 or 3 guys who are even fits, and most if not all will be gone between #18 and #36. With that in mind, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Dolphins traded back at the last minute. If we do that, expect us to be targeting one of those edge rushers. IMHO, the gamble that makes the most sense is Jaelan Phillips, who is a top 5 talent with red flags of serious injury in the past (concussions) and previously 'retired' from football as a collegian because of it. So, no guarantee the player even finishes his rookie contract. But talent wise, he's a top 5 talent in this draft.

If we go offensive, it's more of a matter of whose left at #18. There are definite tiers of OL, with Penei Sewell (most elite traits) and Rashawn Slater (best player now) splitting scouts on who is better, followed by a distant second tier of Christian Darrisaw and Alijah Vera-Tucker (Austin Jackson's highly rated teammate) on the leading edge of a tier that drops off a bit with Sam Cosmi (LT frame, pass pro traits) Jalen Mayfield (high potential) and Liam Eichenberg (exceptional technician) also in that next tier. Lots of varying opinions on those 4 guys, and the rest of the OT talent is rated all over the place by various socuts. This is a strong C class, with several interior OL and their ratings, rankings, and value also vary wildly depending upon who you ask (C's Creed Humphrey, Josh Myers and the Senior Bowl small school phenom Quinn Meinerz). If we're going to select someone from the Senior Bowl, it's probably just as likely to be Quinn Meinerz as it is to be Devonta Smith ... but Meinerz is a day 2 or day 3 pick. The OL is likely limited to that first tier, and they'll be gone by then. At #18 we're probably looking at that second tier of OT's.

Devonta Smith will be gone barring a disaster/miracle/gas mask. That leaves offensive weapons like Kadarius Toney, Najee Harris, neither of whom would be good value at that spot IMHO. Surtain will also be long gone. Trevon Moehrig is one of the many unimpressive safeties in a group deep at the 'top' if u can call it that. I'd rather wait until round 5 to get a safety. I don't see the Dolphins drafting a kid lacking the high end tools like Jaycee Horn. Yes he's good, and arguably worth the pick ... but doesn't look like a Miami guy.

You mention a LB ... but honestly, the ONLY guy who interest me that is a LB/DE would be Zaven Collins (we are classifying Jaelan Phillips a DE/OLB). He's good, and unsure where he will go, maybe this is good value, but he could easily slide to #36 as well. Looking back, this could be the next Patrick Willis type LB who people scratch their head and wonder how the entire NFL missed his greatness. But, LB's are de-valued in today's NFL, asked to do impossibly diverse tasks such as covering a Tyreek Hill, stacking & shedding a pulling guard, blitzing, and flowing all over the field to make tackles. Collins is a Brian Urlacher type who is big (6'4) and strong, but surprisingly able to cover, set the edge, rush, and would be a great fit in Miami's defense. He could go before #18 or he could be available at #36 ... it's just one of those drafts.

In the poll I went with my gut. We have a huge hole at edge rusher, so I guess we'll go after one of those, with Jaelan Phillips being a likely top choice.

If we go Harris, I would hope for a slight trade down to like 23. I could see us going DL, OL, or secondary with that pick tho.

Guys if you get personal it will be deleted

Knock it off please

In the poll I went with my gut. We have a huge hole at edge rusher, so I guess we'll go after one of those, with Jaelan Phillips being a likely top choice.

I would be fine with that bro. He is gonna be a player

Back
Top Bottom