Who Makes It Out of the WR Room? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Makes It Out of the WR Room?

FinPhan54

Basement Dweller
Club Member
Reaction score
For me, one of the more fun and interesting things for the Dolphins over the last few years has been our WR Room.

It seems like we always have a fun or interesting prospect, and last year Preston Williams seemed as though he may be the next in line.

With that being said, I don't know if he is a lock to make the team. Favorable? Yes. Lock? No.

We currently have 11 receivers on the roster, and that is not counting OW Malcolm Perry (listed at RB on the Team Site).

There is one lock in my mind, Devante Parker, which means you have these 10 guys competing for 5 spots:

Albert Wilson - He was looked at as a likely candidate to get cut, however in this offseason he is reliable and now has a restructured contract. If he is in shape and back to his normal self, it will be a tall task for 5 guys to be better.

Jakeem Grant- A lot like the last sentence above, if Jakeem is healthy and back to his normal self he will make the team. He can take it to the house every time, and has proven that on Sunday's. However he is the type of guy that the second he loses a step, his career will likely end. I think there is writing on the wall with us signing Cole & Merritt who can both return kicks and Igby was one of the best in CFB last year.

Preston Williams - The key trend here is health. If Preston is healthy, he is on the team. Young, Size+Speed+Footwork, and was one of the bright spots on the team last year. I am 99.999% sure Preston is on the team (more so than the above 2). IF he is not healthy though, I could see him spending some time on the PUP list opening the door for someone else to make the roster.

Isaiah Ford - First things first, I LOVE Isaiah Ford. He has been nothing but rock solid since we got him. Solid possession guy and does his job. However his career is best as a #4-6 receiver, and we have a ton of those guys. He is going to be in a serious competition with Allen Hurns, as it is tough for me to see both of them making the team again as such similar players.

Allen Hurns - This coaching staff likes Hurns a lot more than I do, which is weird because I used to like him a lot. I just don't think his play was completely warranted of an extension. An extension, which, we can get out of after this year. If he is not above and beyond outplaying everyone, I can see us keeping a younger guy (He is also the oldest guy in the room).

Gary Jennings - A productive guy coming out of college, and I think a steal off waivers late in the season. Will be a guy that is interesting to look at to unseat Hurns/Ford.

Ricardo Louis - Was injured most of last year, I think he has one of the biggest uphill climbs to make the roster. He will have to really catch the coaching staffs eye on Special Teams, or be far and away better than a big group of guys. At 26, it's crazy to call him too old to be in his slot on our roster.

Mack Hollins - Aside from the injury part, this is going to match up with what I said for Louis. Hollins needs to win out on special teams, however his Size+Speed combo has always made him an interesting prospect. I just can't see him making the team with Preston healthy.

Matt Cole & Kirk Merritt - These I am going to do together, as they are the 2 Wild Cards of this list. This staff has zero problem keeping a UDFA, and both of these kids have resumes that make you double take. Like Preston, both have baggage, but both can play at any level and can also return kicks as I said above.

Who do you think makes the team?

Miami invested money into it's WR's. So I'd follow the money. Those who are getting paid are the ones I'd expect to make the team. Parker, Wilson, Grant and Hurns. William's is another, but his recovery will be key. He may be put on IR with designation to return. Ford is the one I'd be worried about. He deserves to be on an NFL Roster. It may not be Miami's? He's shown he can contribute. Cole and Merritt look like PS guy, who will be developed.

Jakeem Grant- A lot like the last sentence above, if Jakeem is healthy and back to his normal self he will make the team. He can take it to the house every time, and has proven that on Sunday's. However he is the type of guy that the second he loses a step, his career will likely end. I think there is writing on the wall with us signing Cole & Merritt who can both return kicks and Igby was one of the best in CFB last year.

If you are talking about Grant as a WR in this conversation, he has done nothing to justify the bolded and underlined sentence. He has a total of 53 receptions over 4 years and only 4 TD's. And this isn't even taking his drops into consideration.

1589037453269.png

He is being paid as a WR but he is nothing more than a returner in my eyes. But even his return stats with a TOTAL of 4 return TD's over 4 years does not justify the contract.

1589037670183.png

It was stupid to sign him to the contract and the team hasn't been shy about taking the dead cap and moving on via cut or trade so I don't see him as a lock for the team if there are other cheaper players that can prove themselves as returners.

Parker
Williams
Wilson
Grant
Hurns
Ford

I think at least two WR’s will also end up on the practice squad.

If you are talking about Grant as a WR in this conversation, he has done nothing to justify the bolded and underlined sentence. He has a total of 53 receptions over 4 years and only 4 TD's. And this isn't even taking his drops into consideration.

View attachment 45360

He is being paid as a WR but he is nothing more than a returner in my eyes. But even his return stats with a TOTAL of 4 return TD's over 4 years does not justify the contract.

View attachment 45361

It was stupid to sign him to the contract and the team hasn't been shy about taking the dead cap and moving on via cut or trade so I don't see him as a lock for the team if there are other cheaper players that can prove themselves as returners.

he CAN. Has the burners to. When healthy you can’t even question his explosiveness.

For me, one of the more fun and interesting things for the Dolphins over the last few years has been our WR Room.

It seems like we always have a fun or interesting prospect, and last year Preston Williams seemed as though he may be the next in line.

With that being said, I don't know if he is a lock to make the team. Favorable? Yes. Lock? No.

We currently have 11 receivers on the roster, and that is not counting OW Malcolm Perry (listed at RB on the Team Site).

There is one lock in my mind, Devante Parker, which means you have these 10 guys competing for 5 spots:

Albert Wilson - He was looked at as a likely candidate to get cut, however in this offseason he is reliable and now has a restructured contract. If he is in shape and back to his normal self, it will be a tall task for 5 guys to be better.

Preston Williams - The key trend here is health. If Preston is healthy, he is on the team. Young, Size+Speed+Footwork, and was one of the bright spots on the team last year. I am 99.999% sure Preston is on the team (more so than the above 2). IF he is not healthy though, I could see him spending some time on the PUP list opening the door for someone else to make the roster.

Isaiah Ford - First things first, I LOVE Isaiah Ford. He has been nothing but rock solid since we got him. Solid possession guy and does his job. However his career is best as a #4-6 receiver, and we have a ton of those guys. He is going to be in a serious competition with Allen Hurns, as it is tough for me to see both of them making the team again as such similar players.

Allen Hurns - This coaching staff likes Hurns a lot more than I do, which is weird because I used to like him a lot. I just don't think his play was completely warranted of an extension. An extension, which, we can get out of after this year. If he is not above and beyond outplaying everyone, I can see us keeping a younger guy (He is also the oldest guy in the room).

Gary Jennings - A productive guy coming out of college, and I think a steal off waivers late in the season. Will be a guy that is interesting to look at to unseat Hurns/Ford.

Ricardo Louis - Was injured most of last year, I think he has one of the biggest uphill climbs to make the roster. He will have to really catch the coaching staffs eye on Special Teams, or be far and away better than a big group of guys. At 26, it's crazy to call him too old to be in his slot on our roster.

Mack Hollins - Aside from the injury part, this is going to match up with what I said for Louis. Hollins needs to win out on special teams, however his Size+Speed combo has always made him an interesting prospect. I just can't see him making the team with Preston healthy.

Matt Cole & Kirk Merritt - These I am going to do together, as they are the 2 Wild Cards of this list. This staff has zero problem keeping a UDFA, and both of these kids have resumes that make you double take. Like Preston, both have baggage, but both can play at any level and can also return kicks as I said above.

Who do you think makes the team?

Totally disagree on your points about Hurns and Ford. Hurns is very reliable and he played very well. We knew we were gonna build the lines in the draft and not really go after WRs. He was signed because he was inexpensive and he knows how to play the position and he’s a good number 3. Couldn’t afford to not sign him.
As far as Ford goes you seem to lock him in as number 4 at best. Maybe he is but you have no clue about that just yet. When he was given the opportunity last year he caught everything thrown his way and he ran nice crisp routes. I really believe he can be a nice solid 3 and possession guy. And if he turns out nothing better than a number 4 WR, then he’s pretty good depth. But based on the last quarter of last season he looks good and deserves a real big look.

Grant needs to go IMO. I see it shaping out like this as long as Willians is healthy.

DVP
Williams
Wilson
Ford
Hurns
Jennings
Merritt??

If it was up to me,

Parker
Williams
Wilson
Ford
Hurns
Merritt

Grant is all hype and overpaid but he'll probably make it thanks to his contract and the fact there's dead money on it.
I think Grant is on the bubble this year. Always have liked his talent, but he's never put it all together in a large part due to injuries. Merritt is interesting based on his highlights.

Those of us who have been wondering about Grant. He's cuttable with a Post June 1st designation, with no cap savings, But a $4.3M dead cap hit. Both Jones and Ibinoghene have return skills and could possibly be his Replacements in that aspect? This could be Grant's last camp as a Miami Dolphin?

Back
Top Bottom