Who Makes It Out of the WR Room? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Makes It Out of the WR Room?

There will be a lot of factors playing into the final decision. For example:
1. If Igbinoghene wins the return job is Grant worth keeping as a receiver alone?
2. If Wilson wins the slot job and Ford is a head of Hurns on the depth chart, do you keep Hurns as a deep depth wr? Seems like the 5th and 6th wr spots would go to younger/cheaper wrs who also have more special teams value.
3. If you waive Jennings and try to sneak him on the practice squad would he likely be poached like Miami did the Seahawks last season to get him here in the first place.
4. Every wr on the roster Parker, Williams, Grant, Hurns, Wilson, Jennings, Ford, Hollins and Louis have had some degree of injury issues in recent seasons. Odds are one or two of them will end up on the IR by the start of the season. In fact of the receivers on the above list Parker might have one of the cleanist injury files.

My preference is Parker, Williams, Wilson, Grant, Ford and Jennings. I would be ok with replacing Grant with Hurns, but we lose some speed in that exchange.

Another thing to remember is there will be a ton of receiver talent released on the market around the league prior to openning day. whenever you see 30+ wrs drafted you figure there are going to be some vets released to make room for them. MIami could end up with a receiver in the mix that's not currently on the roster. I still like giving Antonio Callaway a look. He played ok for Cleveland before getting suspended his 2nd season. I wouldn't mind signing him having him start the season on the suspended list for the first 4 games nd by the time he's eligible you then look to see who's still healthy of the 53 man roster. Parker, Williams, Wilson, Callaway, Ford and Jennings would be a decent mix with size, speed and youth.

Last edited:
I agree Parker, William and Wilson.
I don't think ford is a lock at all though.
Maybe not. It's an interesting group after Parker, Williams and Wilson. An argument could be made that Wilson isn't a lock either, although I think he turned the corner down the stretch. I like what I saw from Ford last year, more than Hurns and Grant. But, there's room for surprises depending on what happens in training camp, preseason etc.

On a whole, this isn't a bad group. But the 2021 draft is once again loaded at wide receiver and now that Miami has spent a lot of picks on the offensive line, the team could get a real difference maker at wide receiver early.

Parker, Williams, Wilson, Ford, Hurns,
Grant special teams, PR and KR possibly number 6 WR. Maybe cut or traded by the start of the season. Merrits headed to the practice squad.

For me, one of the more fun and interesting things for the Dolphins over the last few years has been our WR Room.

It seems like we always have a fun or interesting prospect, and last year Preston Williams seemed as though he may be the next in line.

With that being said, I don't know if he is a lock to make the team. Favorable? Yes. Lock? No.

We currently have 11 receivers on the roster, and that is not counting OW Malcolm Perry (listed at RB on the Team Site).

There is one lock in my mind, Devante Parker, which means you have these 10 guys competing for 5 spots:

Albert Wilson - He was looked at as a likely candidate to get cut, however in this offseason he is reliable and now has a restructured contract. If he is in shape and back to his normal self, it will be a tall task for 5 guys to be better.

Jakeem Grant- A lot like the last sentence above, if Jakeem is healthy and back to his normal self he will make the team. He can take it to the house every time, and has proven that on Sunday's. However he is the type of guy that the second he loses a step, his career will likely end. I think there is writing on the wall with us signing Cole & Merritt who can both return kicks and Igby was one of the best in CFB last year.

Preston Williams - The key trend here is health. If Preston is healthy, he is on the team. Young, Size+Speed+Footwork, and was one of the bright spots on the team last year. I am 99.999% sure Preston is on the team (more so than the above 2). IF he is not healthy though, I could see him spending some time on the PUP list opening the door for someone else to make the roster.

Isaiah Ford - First things first, I LOVE Isaiah Ford. He has been nothing but rock solid since we got him. Solid possession guy and does his job. However his career is best as a #4-6 receiver, and we have a ton of those guys. He is going to be in a serious competition with Allen Hurns, as it is tough for me to see both of them making the team again as such similar players.

Allen Hurns - This coaching staff likes Hurns a lot more than I do, which is weird because I used to like him a lot. I just don't think his play was completely warranted of an extension. An extension, which, we can get out of after this year. If he is not above and beyond outplaying everyone, I can see us keeping a younger guy (He is also the oldest guy in the room).

Gary Jennings - A productive guy coming out of college, and I think a steal off waivers late in the season. Will be a guy that is interesting to look at to unseat Hurns/Ford.

Ricardo Louis - Was injured most of last year, I think he has one of the biggest uphill climbs to make the roster. He will have to really catch the coaching staffs eye on Special Teams, or be far and away better than a big group of guys. At 26, it's crazy to call him too old to be in his slot on our roster.

Mack Hollins - Aside from the injury part, this is going to match up with what I said for Louis. Hollins needs to win out on special teams, however his Size+Speed combo has always made him an interesting prospect. I just can't see him making the team with Preston healthy.

Matt Cole & Kirk Merritt - These I am going to do together, as they are the 2 Wild Cards of this list. This staff has zero problem keeping a UDFA, and both of these kids have resumes that make you double take. Like Preston, both have baggage, but both can play at any level and can also return kicks as I said above.

Who do you think makes the team?
Unless Preston Williams can't walk again, he's on the team next season. Cutting him would be retard-level of incompetence. Before his ACL tear he was the best performing rookie WR in the league (maybe tied behind McLaurin from Redskins, it was back and forth). He was a clear-cut star and that was obvious from their first training camp. If we cut him, he would get scooped up by either Tampa Bay or New England and become the next Randy Moss. If we cut Williams, then our organization haven't learned a damn thing from letting Wes Welker go to the Pats. He's got way more potential than Welker which he's already shown in 8 games last year.

Williams should be the only WR I lock in on the team, followed by a strong push for DVP and Isiah Ford, even if Williams is on the PUP list.

DP..Preston..Albert..Grant..Ford..Hurns..

Reserve the right to change #5 and #6 after preseason action..

I would think at least one of Matt Cole & Kirk Merritt will end up on the practice squad if they show enough in camp but not quite enough to make the team.

Both are super athletes worth trying to coach up.

For me, one of the more fun and interesting things for the Dolphins over the last few years has been our WR Room.

It seems like we always have a fun or interesting prospect, and last year Preston Williams seemed as though he may be the next in line.

With that being said, I don't know if he is a lock to make the team. Favorable? Yes. Lock? No.

We currently have 11 receivers on the roster, and that is not counting OW Malcolm Perry (listed at RB on the Team Site).

There is one lock in my mind, Devante Parker, which means you have these 10 guys competing for 5 spots:

Albert Wilson - He was looked at as a likely candidate to get cut, however in this offseason he is reliable and now has a restructured contract. If he is in shape and back to his normal self, it will be a tall task for 5 guys to be better.

Jakeem Grant- A lot like the last sentence above, if Jakeem is healthy and back to his normal self he will make the team. He can take it to the house every time, and has proven that on Sunday's. However he is the type of guy that the second he loses a step, his career will likely end. I think there is writing on the wall with us signing Cole & Merritt who can both return kicks and Igby was one of the best in CFB last year.

Preston Williams - The key trend here is health. If Preston is healthy, he is on the team. Young, Size+Speed+Footwork, and was one of the bright spots on the team last year. I am 99.999% sure Preston is on the team (more so than the above 2). IF he is not healthy though, I could see him spending some time on the PUP list opening the door for someone else to make the roster.

Isaiah Ford - First things first, I LOVE Isaiah Ford. He has been nothing but rock solid since we got him. Solid possession guy and does his job. However his career is best as a #4-6 receiver, and we have a ton of those guys. He is going to be in a serious competition with Allen Hurns, as it is tough for me to see both of them making the team again as such similar players.

Allen Hurns - This coaching staff likes Hurns a lot more than I do, which is weird because I used to like him a lot. I just don't think his play was completely warranted of an extension. An extension, which, we can get out of after this year. If he is not above and beyond outplaying everyone, I can see us keeping a younger guy (He is also the oldest guy in the room).

Gary Jennings - A productive guy coming out of college, and I think a steal off waivers late in the season. Will be a guy that is interesting to look at to unseat Hurns/Ford.

Ricardo Louis - Was injured most of last year, I think he has one of the biggest uphill climbs to make the roster. He will have to really catch the coaching staffs eye on Special Teams, or be far and away better than a big group of guys. At 26, it's crazy to call him too old to be in his slot on our roster.

Mack Hollins - Aside from the injury part, this is going to match up with what I said for Louis. Hollins needs to win out on special teams, however his Size+Speed combo has always made him an interesting prospect. I just can't see him making the team with Preston healthy.

Matt Cole & Kirk Merritt - These I am going to do together, as they are the 2 Wild Cards of this list. This staff has zero problem keeping a UDFA, and both of these kids have resumes that make you double take. Like Preston, both have baggage, but both can play at any level and can also return kicks as I said above.

Who do you think makes the team?

It's not often I see more potential NFL starting receivers as this year. To me, it's DVP, Wilson, Williams. Hurns with his-job-to-lose. Grant, to me, is a waste. KR - that's it. Not trusted on punts. Cap it $3-4mm? Any one of the new guys who can return kicks/punts and be a deep threat is an upgrade. I like Ford, but he didn't stand out enough to warrant a guarantee. I think after DVP, Wilson, Williams, Hurns, it will come down to ST and/or what type of receiver Flo wants to have a full compliment of skills.

Parker
Williams
Wilson
Jennings or Ford which ever has the best preseason
Hurns
Cole

Merritt to PS
Grant needs to impress

I think Grant is on the bubble this year. Always have liked his talent, but he's never put it all together in a large part due to injuries. Merritt is interesting based on his highlights.
Yeah the problem with cutting grant is 6.1mill of dead money if he gets cut and I doubt another team trades for him but I'd take a 7th round pick for him just to get rid of his contract and his 2 plays a year.

DVP lock
P. williams Lock (maybe PUP for 6 games)
Wilson Lock

3 other spots for grabs - nobody else is safe
Cole may be a surprise roster pick. Run Blocker and special teams are exceptional.

the other 2 spots will compete with other league cuts or potential trades.

This team invested very little in the draft at the receiver position. For me, I see this as an indication that they think Ford is ready to reliably contribute after consistently producing over the stretch even when he wasn't a featured player. Ford isn't JAG. He's got speed, quickness, and length, and he showed the ability to consistently get open and be on the same page as his QB. That last trait is why guys like Hollins who show good athleticism become career special teamers at best and why guys like OJ Howard become gadget players- that availability to the QB on the nfl field is crucial.

This team invested very little in the draft at the receiver position. For me, I see this as an indication that they think Ford is ready to reliably contribute after consistently producing over the stretch even when he wasn't a featured player. Ford isn't JAG. He's got speed, quickness, and length, and he showed the ability to consistently get open and be on the same page as his QB. That last trait is why guys like Hollins who show good athleticism become career special teamers at best and why guys like OJ Howard become gadget players- that availability to the QB on the nfl field is crucial.
I like Ford. I don't think he has exceptional quickness or speed (plenty good, just not top level), but he runs flawless routes, and catches everything that is anywhere near him. Not a huge sample size, but he appears to use his body, and position to seal off defenders.

It has also been reported that he knows every route for every position without hesitation. You might think they all should, but that isn't always true.

I also like that he doesn't run 5 yd patterns on 3rd and 7.

Parker
Williams
Hurns (just signed an extension last year)
Wilson
Ford
Cole

Grant can't stay healthy...I think his time is done. Merritt looks stiff to me from what I've seen. Not a good route runner, I think he struggles to get separation in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom