Who Makes It Out of the WR Room? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Makes It Out of the WR Room?

Yeah the problem with cutting grant is 6.1mill of dead money if he gets cut and I doubt another team trades for him but I'd take a 7th round pick for him just to get rid of his contract and his 2 plays a year.
Yeah, he probably sticks. I think this is really a do or die year for him.

Yeah, he probably sticks. I think this is really a do or die year for him.

Maybe, but I doubt the 3+ million it costs, post June 1st would stop them from keeping a better player.

What sense would that make?

The contract extension was questionable, but I don't see them keeping an inferior player over it.

If you are talking about Grant as a WR in this conversation, he has done nothing to justify the bolded and underlined sentence. He has a total of 53 receptions over 4 years and only 4 TD's. And this isn't even taking his drops into consideration.

View attachment 45360

He is being paid as a WR but he is nothing more than a returner in my eyes. But even his return stats with a TOTAL of 4 return TD's over 4 years does not justify the contract.

View attachment 45361

It was stupid to sign him to the contract and the team hasn't been shy about taking the dead cap and moving on via cut or trade so I don't see him as a lock for the team if there are other cheaper players that can prove themselves as returners.
Precisely why I am hoping Merritt (or one of these dudes) can take his job

Yeah the problem with cutting grant is 6.1mill of dead money if he gets cut and I doubt another team trades for him but I'd take a 7th round pick for him just to get rid of his contract and his 2 plays a year.
Agreed Danny.

I feel like Ford can do a better job as a wr than Grant. And essentially whatever we get from Hurns. For those reasons, I try to save the money, role with the young guys- try to develop / see if they have anything worth holding onto. Then next year, we have a very talented WR draft, add one of those guys and Parker is the only one left on the team we really owe very much money to. And then learn if the noobies can contribute. Just never been huge on Hurns and really kind of just over Grant.

Parker
Williams
Wilson
Hurns
Jennings
Ford

If you are talking about Grant as a WR in this conversation, he has done nothing to justify the bolded and underlined sentence. He has a total of 53 receptions over 4 years and only 4 TD's. And this isn't even taking his drops into consideration.

View attachment 45360

He is being paid as a WR but he is nothing more than a returner in my eyes. But even his return stats with a TOTAL of 4 return TD's over 4 years does not justify the contract.

View attachment 45361

It was stupid to sign him to the contract and the team hasn't been shy about taking the dead cap and moving on via cut or trade so I don't see him as a lock for the team if there are other cheaper players that can prove themselves as returners.
God I hope they cut Grant. Would rather see Jennings get a shot

Ford is a great 'sub-in' boundary WR to fill for DVP or P-dub if they get hurt or need a play off. He might be the best 'sub' we have for those specific guys. He's a true wideout, not a slot guy.

I don't think any of these guys are safe outside Parker and Williams. Its going to be interesting to see if teams trend in the direction of known quantities this offseason with so much looking to be virtual. That could give an edge to the likes of Wilson, Grant, and Hurns.

If things are anything like last season then I would except open competition behind the two starters and it wouldn't shock me at all to see the 3rd WR emerge from that set of undrafted and late round youngsters.

I don't think any of these guys are safe outside Parker and Williams. Its going to be interesting to see if teams trend in the direction of known quantities this offseason with so much looking to be virtual. That could give an edge to the likes of Wilson, Grant, and Hurns.

If things are anything like last season then I would except open competition behind the two starters and it wouldn't shock me at all to see the 3rd WR emerge from that set of undrafted and late round youngsters.
I think Wilson is safe. Aside from DVP, there isn't really much in the way of actual experience in the group. Maybe Hurns, but he isn't anything to write home about, and doesn't have "take the top off" speed like Wilson. You need that to influence the FS in route combinations.

...unsure who it was -- thinking CK -- posted some coaches tape
and for me it was eye opening / jaw dropping how OPEN ---
and I mean O P E N Grant got himself a number of times last year
15-20-25 yards downfield but the timing on the play was off due to
QB scramble for life etc. I'm just thinking coaches watch that same
tape and might have a clue as to what Grant can do...

>>> just saying he's an easy target around here to throw under the bus
but the reality of his game may be a LOT different than common fan perception.

A possibility at least.

View attachment 45360

View attachment 45361

I have issues with Grant and wouldn't mind replacing him, but the drops people keep mentioning just aren't as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Grant had 1 drop in 2018 and 1 in 2019. In comparison Williams had 4 drop in 2019 alone. Yes I think Williams is the better receiver and the better prospect, but Grant dropping passes is not as bad as some say it is. I actually think if Grant makes the team and Tua plays you could see more of an impact from Grant and Wilson.

Last edited:
Ford is a great 'sub-in' boundary WR to fill for DVP or P-dub if they get hurt or need a play off. He might be the best 'sub' we have for those specific guys. He's a true wideout, not a slot guy.
I disagree I think Ford would be much better as slot guy. He’s not very athletic for a NFL WR, he needs to stay in the slot behind Wilson.

Back
Top Bottom