Who needs a QB, and who has the ammo? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who needs a QB, and who has the ammo?

Russ57

Active Roster
Reaction score
Consider it a given that the Bengals take Burrow at one.

I count the following teams as "needing a QB" in this draft; Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers, Colts, and Bucs. I count the following teams as "hoping to get a QB" in this draft; Raiders, Bears, Eagles, Jaguars, Saints, and Steelers. I count the following teams as "might grab one if they can" in this draft; Broncos, Patriots, Falcons, Giants, Jets, Rams, and Redskins.

Lets assume a team has to move up to the 2nd pick (to get Tua) which the draft value chart says is worth 2600. The Dolphins 5th and 18th pick just happen to equal 2600 points. The ONLY other team (looking for a QB) that can muster 2600 points this year are the Raiders Their 12th, 19th, 80th, 81st, 91st, and 118th would equal 2644 points. The Raiders have Carr so I wouldn't call them "QB desperate". Plus I can't see Gruden parting with all that draft capitol.

Yes teams could offer 2021 draft picks but those get devalued a round. If I was trading my 2nd overall pick I'd assume the other team would pick someone that would improve them, so that future picks becomes worth even less. If I were the Redskins I might consider the above Raider's offer. 12 and 19 put you out of range for the elite prospects and 3rd rounders are far from guaranteed starters. Basically would you rather move from 2 to 5 and gain 18....or move from 2 to 12 and gain 19 and three 3rd rounders and a 4th round pick?

Try as I might, I can't see the Lions picking a QB. If Patrica could get one that would start right away along with a promise from ownership that a rookie QB buys him a one year pass, then maybe. Otherwise he is just drafting the next coaches QB. Patrica is the one that should consider a trade with the Raiders (assuming Gruden MUST have Herbert over the Chargers getting him).

I count the following teams as "needing a QB" in this draft; Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers, Colts, and Bucs. I count the following teams as "hoping to get a QB" in this draft; Raiders, Bears, Eagles, Jaguars, Saints, and Steelers. I count the following teams as "might grab one if they can" in this draft; Broncos, Patriots, Falcons, Giants, Jets, Rams, and Redskins.

Lets assume a team has to move up to the 2nd pick (to get Tua) which the draft value chart says is worth 2600. The Dolphins 5th and 18th pick just happen to equal 2600 points. The ONLY other team (looking for a QB) that can muster 2600 points this year are the Raiders Their 12th, 19th, 80th, 81st, 91st, and 118th would equal 2644 points. The Raiders have Carr so I wouldn't call them "QB desperate". Plus I can't see Gruden parting with all that draft capitol.

Yes teams could offer 2021 draft picks but those get devalued a round. If I was trading my 2nd overall pick I'd assume the other team would pick someone that would improve them, so that future picks becomes worth even less. If I were the Redskins I might consider the above Raider's offer. 12 and 19 put you out of range for the elite prospects and 3rd rounders are far from guaranteed starters. Basically would you rather move from 2 to 5 and gain 18....or move from 2 to 12 and gain 19 and three 3rd rounders and a 4th round pick?

Try as I might, I can't see the Lions picking a QB. If Patrica could get one that would start right away along with a promise from ownership that a rookie QB buys him a one year pass, then maybe. Otherwise he is just drafting the next coaches QB. Patrica is the one that should consider a trade with the Raiders (assuming Gruden MUST have Herbert over the Chargers getting him).

The value of any pick is what the highest bidder offers

I have this strange feeling of de ja vous.

It's hard to say until after whatever QB movement happens during FA, but there are really only 3 guys that would probably warrant any big moves.

Obviously, we have enough "ammo" to out bid anyone, but I prefer not to go that route.

Let the restating of opinions begin........

mj5de9d6b0.gif

I think Miami is gonna try to set the tome.

any sniff of someone trading up and Miami is gonna make it known they’ve got the goods to beat the offer.

they will try to smother the grease before it gets too hot.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Isn't an easy time for anyone to post threads that haven't been "wash, rinse,repeat" at least 10x over. Value chart adds a layer to the madness. Appreciate the effort brother.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Isn't an easy time for anyone to post threads that haven't been "wash, rinse,repeat" at least 10x over. Value chart adds a layer to the madness. Appreciate the effort brother.
It is a rough time in the yearly cycle, but sit tight, actual news is just around the corner.

The value chart aspect is interesting, and a valid guideline for discussion, but i think you can throw it out the window in some situations. One being QBs in the top of the draft.

Even in trades today, GMs seem insane at times. 2 rd1s and a rd2 for Tunsil? The Raiders/Bears Mack trade? Even value is in the eyes of the beholder.

I think Miami is gonna try to set the tome.

any sniff of someone trading up and Miami is gonna make it known they’ve got the goods to beat the offer.

they will try to smother the grease before it gets too hot.

OTOH, teams may bid on a player KNOWING Miami will outbid them. Force Miami to spend resources (reduce draft picks), thus potentially making Miami weaker in '20

I'm feeling the cowboys are going to try and move up for one of the top 4.

Good post. But, any team can toss in players to sweeten the deal and some teams are better to trade with than others depending upon if they are in their conference or even division. If someone wants someone bad enough everything is on the table.

Draft is a poker game. We won't care how many chips we use if we walk away with the pot.

Draft is a poker game. We won't care how many chips we use if we walk away with the pot.
Bad analogy.

In poker, the pot is a known size, and any competent poker player takes pot size, odds of winning and required investment into account.

QBs, on the other hand, unlike a poker pot, are not a known quantity.

But you can't bet more chips than you have, and we have more chips than anybody else.

Go try it out guys. Show me how anybody even beats our 5 and 18. Count next year's first as this year's second and, say, seven spots lower due to improvement. Then think about how many teams are going to give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd two years in a row (if that even equals the required points) considering the injury.

While I agree with you logic if we get that outbid by some other team I am of the opinion that we should trade back a few picks stay in the top 10 grab another QB and perhaps even another in the 2and round just to increase our odds.

One thing to consider though is that alot of teams have the ability to add ammo to their arsenal... Just like Miami did by trading both Minkah and Tunsil... Without looking at other teams rosters, some might have the ability to trade some of their rookie contract players for more ammo.

Back
Top Bottom